Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Atletico Madrid's transfer ban upheld, so they won't be buying Sandro Ramirez.

I can’t see them letting Griezzman going then!

Big Rom to Man Utd now!

Hes got a release clause though, hasn't he?

Foreign clubs can't activate the release clause though.

You either go the Javi Martinez route and pay the player to give the club the money or agree with the club like a normal negotiation.

FM tells me differently

Darren Fletcher to Stoke

Mark Hughes seems determined to make Stoke even older than they already were last year (3rd highest in the league behind West Brom and Watford). I think they're going to be in the relegation battle next year.

Foreign clubs can't activate the release clause though.

You either go the Javi Martinez route and pay the player to give the club the money or agree with the club like a normal negotiation.

They can. The whole thing was cleared up after the Javi Martínez case. Either club or player can activate the clause.

It was never a matter of foreign/not foreign, just whether clubs were able to activate the clause and thus avoid the massive tax burden that comes from the buying club giving money to the player so the player activates it himself - it would be considered a wage and thus come with a 50% tax spike.

What happened is that there was a gentlemen's agreement between Spanish clubs to treat the triggering of release clauses as a normal negotiated sale - since the seller would never see any of the extra money paid as tax - but there was always the looming treat of somebody not honoring that agreement. Athletic tried that with Bayern, but it was ruled that clubs could trigger the clause all the same.