The disabled woman chronicles

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...-after-6681465

However, Terry Meadows, one of the founding members of the Newcastle United Disabled Supporters Association, said he believed the club were completely right to suspend Lilian’s ticket.

Terry, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, said: “Newcastle’s ground has one of the biggest disabled areas in the country, it is fantastic and that woman has no right to condemn the club. I think the club did right. All her son had to do was go to the ticket office and explain and pay a little more.”

Paralympic champion Stephen Miller, who hails from Cramlington, wrote on Twitter: “Disabled fans should know their tickets can’t be used by someone able-bodied unless its upgraded, it's a big problem at SJP.”

What's the big problem exactly?

Disabled people giving their tickets away on a rare occasion to a relative? Not a single person is disadvantaged because of this, or any case like it. If she'd flogged her ticket to someone who was using it for every game then fair enough, that would be a problem.

Sounds like perfectly reasonable response from the club.

If you were, for example, borrowing a child's ticket, to enter the ground, you would be presumably subjected to the same chastisement.

If I was nabbed doing a similar thing, I`d be p*ssed off more with the fact that I`d been rumbled, rather than having the ticket cancelled & my money refunded (With home form as it is lately, she should be grateful FFS!)

She would have an argument if she was being made an example of, but I assume she was just subjected to company policy as anyone else would be.

It's not quite the same thing as using a child's ticket though. Apparently she accompanies two minors, so if she couldn't go they couldn't go presumably. Look at it this way too: if this was an able bodied person who had passed on their ticket to another able bodied person (for example one parent to the other) to accompany their Toon mad children to the match, because they couldn't go themselves, would anybody have any objection to that? Presumably passing on your season ticket to anyone else is against T&C's anyway? So what's the issue here then? The fact a disabled person's ticket is a tenner cheaper than an able bodied's, and the club is losing out on a tenner as a one off to a group of loyal fans, one of whom even worked for the club in the past?

I`d do the same, have done in the past (Used my sons student discount season ticket)but I knew that if I got nabbed they wouldn't just grin,  pinch my cheek & call me a cheeky monkey.

She got rumbled, simple as that.

So you would be OK with them taking your season ticket and selling your seat of to somebody else even if there was half of the home games left, also effectively cancelling your bairns' season tickets because they can't go unaccompanied. And you wouldn't think it was harsh in the slightest?

Totally agree.

The scrambling of moral high ground on here is laughable at times.

I wonder what these people would say if it was their disabled mother who wasn't going and offered them the ticket?

"Oh no mother, I couldn't possibly take that ticket, I am not disabled, therefore I would be taking such liberties as the club would be down a whole £3.50 on that ticket. I am quite disgusted in you for offering me it, and willfully trying to have me break the law in such shocking circumstances. I don't care if the kids can't go now, I have ridiculously high moral standards I must never step from".

Or would you just say "Aye ok, I will take them along"

Yep, too much of the Thatcher's children approach here. I'm alright jack, fuck everyone else.

And what a crass generalisation from the disabled supporters association. This may have been the only time she's done it, that doesn't mean she's like anyone who does it on a regular basis.

Little arse lickers.

Maybe the disabled supporters are getting p*ssed off with able bodied folks cheating their way in and spoiling it for the real disabled folks (re the "it's a big problem at SJP" comment).

How are they "spoiling it" for the "real" disabled folks? Get a fucking grip for crying out loud. :lol:

I bet you're the kind of bloke who watched the Paralympics  merely looking for athletes swinging the lead.

Little arse lickers.

Maybe the disabled supporters are getting p*ssed off with able bodied folks cheating their way in and spoiling it for the real disabled folks (re the "it's a big problem at SJP" comment).

How are they "spoiling it" for the "real" disabled folks? Get a f***ing grip for crying out loud. :lol:

I bet you're the kind of bloke who watched the Paralympics  merely looking for athletes swinging the lead.

A disabled supporter mentioned it in a quote "their tickets can’t be used by someone able-bodied unless its upgraded, it's a big problem at SJP.” Don't try and have a clever shite pop at me when it's a disabled supporter who raised it, I simply highlighted that.

If you were, for example, borrowing a child's ticket, to enter the ground, you would be presumably subjected to the same chastisement.

If I was nabbed doing a similar thing, I`d be p*ssed off more with the fact that I`d been rumbled, rather than having the ticket cancelled & my money refunded (With home form as it is lately, she should be grateful FFS!)

She would have an argument if she was being made an example of, but I assume she was just subjected to company policy as anyone else would be.

It's not quite the same thing as using a child's ticket though. Apparently she accompanies two minors, so if she couldn't go they couldn't go presumably. Look at it this way too: if this was an able bodied person who had passed on their ticket to another able bodied person (for example one parent to the other) to accompany their Toon mad children to the match, because they couldn't go themselves, would anybody have any objection to that? Presumably passing on your season ticket to anyone else is against T&C's anyway? So what's the issue here then? The fact a disabled person's ticket is a tenner cheaper than an able bodied's, and the club is losing out on a tenner as a one off to a group of loyal fans, one of whom even worked for the club in the past?

I`d do the same, have done in the past (Used my sons student discount season ticket)but I knew that if I got nabbed they wouldn't just grin,  pinch my cheek & call me a cheeky monkey.

So you would be OK with them taking your season ticket and selling your seat of to somebody else even if there was half of the home games left, also effectively cancelling your bairns' season tickets because they can't go unaccompanied. And you wouldn't think it was harsh in the slightest?

Aye, I would without a doubt, especially as there will be countless others doing a similar thing next home match, then the next etc. without getting nabbed.

My argument is simply that the club are simply arguing that, in principle, she broke the terms of her contract with the club & were they to ignore it, they would set a president for others to follow suit with them having any redress.

I don't blame her for being p*ssed off & complaining, I just think its naïve to expect that having tried it on (she could have contacted the club beforehand to explain the situation & ask for guidance), she can expect to dictate the outcome after having been rumbled.

Welcome to the world of modern day corporate football.

I disagree. This didn't become public until after their harsh treatment of a lifelong fan, so nobody would have known if they acted sensibly in this case and gave the lady her ST back with possibly a warning on her file. In fact, if he would have came in the public domain then it would have made the club look good instead of the totally incosiderate idiots this makes them look as.

Unfortunately, acting sensibly probably doesn't apply when dealing with institutions of this ilk.

My comments assume the club to have followed a given protocol when presented with this kind of thing. Should the outcome be based on a subjective evaluation of her individual circumstances, then I firmly agree that she seems to have been treated harshly. I suspect, however, that she was given the stock punishment for a common "offence".

its all a bit "if she dies..she dies" mind, ill give you that

Little arse lickers.

How are they "spoiling it" for the "real" disabled folks? Get a f***ing grip for crying out loud. :lol:

A disabled supporter mentioned it in a quote "their tickets can’t be used by someone able-bodied unless its upgraded, it's a big problem at SJP.” Don't try and have a clever shite pop at me when it's a disabled supporter who raised it, I simply highlighted that.

Hardly spoiling it though is it ffs.  :lol:

Totally agree.

I wonder what these people would say if it was their disabled mother who wasn't going and offered them the ticket?

"Oh no mother, I couldn't possibly take that ticket, I am not disabled, therefore I would be taking such liberties as the club would be down a whole £3.50 on that ticket. I am quite disgusted in you for offering me it, and willfully trying to have me break the law in such shocking circumstances. I don't care if the kids can't go now, I have ridiculously high moral standards I must never step from".

Yep, too much of the Thatcher's children approach here. I'm alright jack, fuck everyone else.

And what a crass generalisation from the disabled supporters association. This may have been the only time she's done it, that doesn't mean she's like anyone who does it on a regular basis.

I would imagine that if you were disabled you would be pretty pissed off to see an able-bodied person taking the seat. But taking away the ticket and selling it on is still far too harsh for one misdemeanor.

Guest reefatoon

Totally agree.

Yep, too much of the Thatcher's children approach here. I'm alright jack, f*** everyone else.

I would imagine that if you were disabled you would be pretty p*ssed off to see an able-bodied person taking the seat. But taking away the ticket and selling it on is still far too harsh for one misdemeanor.

If she wasn't there, it would have been an empty seat though, no other disabled person could have sat there anyway with it being her seat.

:lol: Love the title change.

Perhaps if the woman had have let the box office know they could have allocated another disabled supporter with the seat and advised of how the son could upgrade her ticket to be able to use it.

Guest reefatoon

Perhaps if the woman had have let the box office know they could have allocated another disabled supporter with the seat and advised of how the son could upgrade her ticket to be able to use it.

Really? does anyone do this with a seat? Also it's her seat, so she would need subsidised for it too.

Really? does anyone do this with a seat? Also it's her seat, so she would need subsidised for it too.

I'm not arguing that the club have acted harshly in removing the ladies ticket however she didn't follow the correct process and must have had some doubt that it would be ok to give a disabled season ticket to her son.

If she had have contacted the box office they would have been able to offer the son a ticket in a different area of the ground with the difference in the cost being paid. The disabled ticket would then have been able to go to another fan. 

Totally agree.

My step mams disabled and dad's just been registered disabled this week so you can fuck off with that.

Guest reefatoon

Yep, that's Kinnear and the disabled old cheat out of the club in a week. We are a couple of steps closer to beating the mackems to the classiest club title.

Guest reefatoon

Totally agree.

My step mams disabled and dad's just been registered disabled this week so you can f*** off with that.

What has any of that got to do with what I said? I think the club have been too harsh on her, so now I am slagging off disabled people?  What a strange comment.

Totally agree.

Yep, too much of the Thatcher's children approach here. I'm alright jack, f*** everyone else.

I would imagine that if you were disabled you would be pretty p*ssed off to see an able-bodied person taking the seat. But taking away the ticket and selling it on is still far too harsh for one misdemeanor.

It looks as if people are saying it's OK if the ticket was upgraded, upgrading the ticket wouldn't have meant another disabled supporter got the ticket, people are talking shite.