Moyes or Martinez?

Belfast Mags
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wasn't that long ago folk wouldn't touch Martinez on the back of Wigans annual fight against relegation. Til they finally went...

Moyes would have p*ssed this two years ago.

True, I remember being pissed on for suggesting him by some. Although a lot were because people didn't want a man who defend that tackle on Haidara. Which is understandable but even the best have their flaws and will defend their team no matter what.

This is a non-thread because NUFC have NO - repeat NO - chance of signing Martinez under this regime ; even if we had a rich ambitious owner who was prepared to push the boat out, I could not see Martinez leaving Everton for a couple of years at least.

Naturally, he would be most people's choice because he plays attractive football and has been relatively successful with a small club but that has also been noticed by Arsenal for one - and we wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance against them in competition for a manager, esp under Ashley.

Moyes is a possible...but I would put it no higher than that and a very small possibility too. Of current runners, only Bruce would be likely to take the job.

Martinez at Wigan dared to try to play despite a much less talented squad, particularly in defence, hence their continued struggles at the wrong end of the table. If he had one fault at Wigan, it was never getting decent defenders in, which didn't make much sense. people like Caldwell and Alcatraz were just strange.

Aside from that, his Wigan teams always looked great going forward, and more importantly played with lots of confidence and freedom. They also had some great performances and results against far better teams. He clearly has a more winning mentality, which is more suited to a more talented team. With better players he was always going to do much better.

Looking at the current Newcastle team in comparison to Everton's current team, and believe it or not we are not that far off in terma of talent. If he was managing us right now, we'd be in and around where Everton are at the moment, no question.

Remy would be tearing it up still, Cisse would be scoring regularly, Ben Arfa would be going nuts, Gouffran would be like Naismith has been for them etc etc etc.

Martinez has Lukaku.  He make an immense difference for them.

Last year West Brom made 8th place with Lukaku, but are currently sitting in 16th without him.

Don't think Martinez would be doing as good without him.

But only time will tell.

This is a non-thread because NUFC have NO - repeat NO - chance of signing Martinez under this regime ; even if we had a rich ambitious owner who was prepared to push the boat out, I could not see Martinez leaving Everton for a couple of years at least.

Naturally, he would be most people's choice because he plays attractive football and has been relatively successful with a small club but that has also been noticed by Arsenal for one - and we wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance against them in competition for a manager, esp under Ashley.

Moyes is a possible...but I would put it no higher than that and a very small possibility too. Of current runners, only Bruce would be likely to take the job.

Purely hypothetical, all things are equal, take Ashley out of equation, whether they would come here or not, none of that counts, simply, if it was your choice, who would you pick

Pretty hefty disclaimer there :lol:

Moyes has proven ability in being able to build a club from a relegation battler to consistently in or around the european places, Martinez does not.

Wasn't aware that this was the main criteria for good managers. You should get on the phone to Bayern Munich and make sure they get rid of Pep asap.  In fact you can call Chelsea and Real Madrid while you're at it.

Martinez has Lukaku.  He make an immense difference for them.

Last year West Brom made 8th place with Lukaku, but are currently sitting in 16th without him.

Don't think Martinez would be doing as good without him.

But only time will tell.

He also won an FA Cup with Caldwell leading the defence. You could always find different ways to put it, but you can't deny he's done an extremely good job and had it not been for terrible luck (Neil will probably agree) in the beginning of the season CL could've been done and dusted already. The amount of chance they missed when the season began in the first few games was tremendous.

Lukaku was out for a while too, and Naismith slotted in and performed.

I can only imagine how awful Naismith would be in our team if we had signed him.

We'd have all been pissed off in the first place, had he been signed. The n we would have been even more mad, once he was playing the defensive winger role a la Jonas and Gouffran.

Purely hypothetical, all things are equal, take Ashley out of equation, whether they would come here or not, none of that counts, simply, if it was your choice, who would you pick

Pretty hefty disclaimer there :lol:

Aye  :) thought it was clear enough. I was just curious because there seemed to be heavy support for Moyes in the other thread but it hasn't materialised in the poll (which is interesting in itself)

I doubt Martinez will achieve what Moyes did in 10 years time. We need a solid performer Moyes thicks lots of boxes and he is my choice.

:lol: he already has, he's won the FA Cup with fucking Wigan and Everton already have their highest ever points total with three games to go

I doubt Martinez will achieve what Moyes did in 10 years time. We need a solid performer Moyes thicks lots of boxes and he is my choice.

:lol: he already has, he's won the FA Cup with f***ing Wigan and Everton already have their highest ever points total with three games to go

The amount of points doesn't really matter. Well it does if it gets them into the champions league but if they finish 5th it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Guest firetotheworks

I think people are going way, way overboard with Martinez like. He's had one season where he's gone into a team that already had things that were put in place by Moyes. I think on a level playing field I would go with Moyes based purely on his long record and Martinez possibly being a flash in the pan. Wigan were shit and I don't care what anyone says otherwise, you're just wrong.

Having said that, a Martinez style manager, over a Moyes style manager is exactly what we need to wake us up at the moment. The excitement needs to come back drastically, because even when we've got results it's still almost always been turgid, boring and desperate.

Wasn't that long ago folk wouldn't touch Martinez on the back of Wigans annual fight against relegation. Til they finally went...

Moyes would have pissed this two years ago.

Not with me he wouldn't. I have respect for Moyes but I much prefer Martinez's outlook on the game with his preference for fast attacking football. I said the same thing when he was Wigan manager.

Guest neesy111

Should remember Moyes did get them into the Champions League but they won a ridiculous amount of games 1-0 and finished 17th the next season.  Can't see Martinez doing that with them.

Guest firetotheworks

Should remember Moyes did get them into the Champions League but they won a ridiculous amount of games 1-0 and finished 17th the next season.  Can't see Martinez doing that with them.

I don't understand why you can't see that. It happens a lot and Martinez has been down that end a lot.

I think people are going way, way overboard with Martinez like. He's had one season where he's gone into a team that already had things that were put in place by Moyes. I think on a level playing field I would go with Moyes based purely on his long record and Martinez possibly being a flash in the pan. Wigan were s*** and I don't care what anyone says otherwise, you're just wrong.

Having said that, a Martinez style manager, over a Moyes style manager is exactly what we need to wake us up at the moment. The excitement needs to come back drastically, because even when we've got results it's still almost always been turgid, boring and desperate.

Wow ...

Worth pointing out that Martinez has achieved what he did while losing one of Everton's best performers last season in Fellaini, as well as their best defender in Jagielka. He's also brought through Barkley and Stones, who you can't say were guarantedd stars, but both have featured heavily. Let's not pretend he just threw in Lukaku on top of this outstanding team okay?

Worth pointing out that Martinez has achieved what he did while losing one of Everton's best performers last season in Fellaini, as well as their best defender in Jagielka. He's also brought through Barkley and Stones, who you can't say were guarantedd stars, but both have featured heavily. Let's not pretend he just threw in Lukaku on top of this outstanding team okay?

No you're right he slotted the on loan Barry and Delafeou (sp) too