Tradition vs Ambition - A hypothetical scenario

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm just curious as to where the opinion of the Newcastle fan base on N-O lie in regards to a hypothetical situation. Been thinking a bit today about what would happen if we were bought by a major franchise, say Red Bull, who have been rumoured to be interested in buying a PL club and have a previous record of rebranding clubs they aquire. Would you have openly supported a sacrifice of tradition in exchange for outright ambition and investment?

In this scenario (with the use of pretend hindsight, we know this happens in this scenario) Red Bull buys Newcastle and changes the name from NUFC to Newcastle Red Bulls. They sack Pardew and appoint a quality manager (maybe even bring Keegan back) and back him with tons of money, stating the ambition is to be a CL challenger and a title challenger in due time. After a few years of investment and such they reach the goal, and we're a title challenger on a regular basis once more and reignate the nickname of "The Entertainers" with the brand of football played. Looking back, would you have thought the exchange of the NUFC name for a brand name would've been worth it? Would you rather keep the traditions of the club or have the club achieve quick success? Basically, what's most important to you in supporting this club?

Fuck changing anything it's unnecessary and offensive.

Well, yes. That's not exactly the question though. The question is that if in the future, you'd look back at this chain of events, would you find it had been worth it for improvement on and off the pitch. Or would you still look back in anger at changes?

Also the main question was more about the name than the kit, mind. Should've specified that a bit better.

For the record, I'd not want any changes either. NUFC or bust.

I think Man City fans have discovered that actually all this money isn't that interesting for more than a year or two, and that's without any negative changes.

Chelsea have maintained/increased their fans but then they're based in one of the world's richest areas. I'd be interested to know how many of the fans that were part of the 20k who went to Stamford Bridge in the early 90s are still going.

I think Man City fans have discovered that actually all this money isn't that interesting for more than a year or two, and that's without any negative changes.

Chelsea have maintained/increased their fans but then they're based in one of the world's richest areas. I'd be interested to know how many of the fans that were part of the 20k who went to Stamford Bridge in the early 90s are still going.

I dunno. I think they still enjoy it. The fairweather/newcomer ones maybe not but im sure they are still buzzin off winnin trophies like

Look at how many empty seats they seem to have though.

I think Man City fans have discovered that actually all this money isn't that interesting for more than a year or two

:thup:

All success does (I imagine) is increase your expectations. Most of the baggage it brings is quite frankly embarrassing and certainly not something you would ever want to trade your club's identity for.

I doubt a Man City fan truly feels any more enjoyment than a Rotherham fan, or a Forrest fan, or whoever.

A football club is all about identity, name change would kill everything. The name change from St James Park killed a bit inside of me and until today it's still doesn't feel as St James Park. As for kit colour, sure 2nd and 3rd kit can be whatever don't actually give two fucks about it. But we're black and white at home and if it ever changes somebody needs a whooping.

I think Man City fans have discovered that actually all this money isn't that interesting for more than a year or two

All success does (I imagine) is increase your expectations. Most of the baggage it brings is quite frankly embarrassing and certainly not something you would ever want to trade your club's identity for.

I doubt a Man City fan truly feels any more enjoyment than a Rotherham fan, or a Forrest fan, or whoever.

:lol: what. They haven't traded their identity though. They are still man city. You reckon when that Aguero goal went in that wasn't the single greatest moment of them supporting their team? Well what's the point we may as well turn it in if success brings "embarrassing baggage".

I think you've completely missed what I'm saying here like, which is a canny effort considering the post was 3 lines long :lol:

I'm not saying Man City have traded their identity, I'm saying that I wouldn't want us to trade our identity for what they have, as ultimately enjoyment of the sport is all relative.

And are you trying to say success doesn't bring "embarrassing baggage"? Glory hunters, the "global brand", the fucking Poznan etc. I'm not saying this ought-weighs the enjoyment of winning trophies, just that it's another thing to consider.

I'd pretty much take anything other than the shit we're being served up at the moment mind, it's just boring on every level.

:lol: what. They haven't traded their identity though. They are still man city. You reckon when that Aguero goal went in that wasn't the single greatest moment of them supporting their team? Well what's the point we may as well turn it in if success brings "embarrassing baggage".

I think you've completely missed what I'm saying here like, which is a canny effort considering the post was 3 lines long :lol:

I'm not saying Man City have traded their identity, I'm saying that I wouldn't want us to trade our identity for what they have, as ultimately enjoyment of the sport is all relative.

And are you trying to say success doesn't bring "embarrassing baggage"? Glory hunters, the "global brand", the fucking Poznan etc. I'm not saying this ought-weighs the enjoyment of winning trophies, just that it's another thing to consider.

I'd pretty much take anything other than the shit we're being served up at the moment mind, it's just boring on every level.

On that note, witnessing Newcastle win the league would be the greatest moment in my life, but if I didn't die from alcohol poisoning, I could probably live with going a while until the next trophy just to avoid glory hunters and the apathy towards winning trophies (Oh, nice, another trophy as expected. Yay.) my Man Utd supporting mates have. Is that a weird thought? :lol:

I'd love us to be successful an all, I haven't said I wouldn't!

I'd fucking kill for it, it's what you have to aspire to as a football fan otherwise what's the point? I'm just saying once you're there your perceptions will change. Maybe it's a useless point to make, just trying to get across how pointless I think trading your identity would be.