Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I agree with all that. I see Colback in the same sense. My issue is that fans on here don't believe Colback is good enough to play even that water carrier role for this team. He did in the wins against Chelsea and Liverpool.

I agree with all that. I see Colback in the same sense. My issue is that fans on here don't believe Colback is good enough to play even that water carrier role for this team. He did in the wins against Chelsea and Liverpool.

No, he is good enough to play that role for this team, a team who have lost nine of ten games and may well get relegated. He's been in a relegation battle every year of his Premier League career, and for good reason. Any team for whom Colback makes regular top flight appearances in such an important position will really struggle.

Goodness me. This thread just nosedived. Calling colback a passing and possession player and calling Anita rubbish in comparison. Methinks the threat of relegation has brought about a bout of dementia around these parts :lol:

He's been an ever present in our team that never dominates games and has barely won a match all season. He's scored some goals though which have papered over the massive cracks. As the Cabaye replacement he's been fucking awful.

As the Cabaye replacement he's been f***ing awful.

I remember people being adamant he was not Cabayes replacement :yao:

Only Newcastle could sell someone for £20 million, and replace him with a free transfer from our arch rivals a year and a half later :lol:

Colback is by no means the worst player we have. we need other players replacing before him. Two centre half's, a left back a right winger and at least one forward. All need to be looked at long before replacing Colback.

We haven't put out our strongest team, or anything close this season. If everyone was fit he would still line-up but it would be difficult. And if we ever got a proper manager in he would be in trouble

Tiote - Colback

Sissoko - De Jong - Perez

Cisse

A decent manager would have Cabella in there/

Colback is by no means the worst player we have. we need other players replacing before him. Two centre half's, a left back a right winger and at least one forward. All need to be looked at long before replacing Colback.

He isn't the worst. But it's a damning statement when he is considered our best CM option. He should be our equivalent of Danny Guthrie, with Cabaye and Tiote starting for example. He shouldn't be a guaranteed starter.

We haven't put out our strongest team, or anything close this season. If everyone was fit he would still line-up but it would be difficult. And if we ever got a proper manager in he would be in trouble

Tiote - Colback

Sissoko - De Jong - Perez

Cisse

A decent manager would have Cabella in there/

Tiote - Sissoko

Cabella - De Jong - Perez

Cisse

I'd go with this imo.

He isn't the worst. But it's a damning statement when he is considered our best CM option. He should be our equivalent of Danny Guthrie, with Cabaye and Tiote starting for example. He shouldn't be a guaranteed starter.

Do not disagree it is just the state the club is now in. we need to look at other positions first though.

All this 'he's good in possession' and 'ticks things along nicely' is absolute fucking crap man  :lol:

The guy's first touch is especially turboshite (the amount of times he loses possession immediately after receiving the ball or is forced to go backwards due to a heavy touch is ridiculous), his range of passing is below average (he especially struggles with the weight...watching him ping it vociferously at a team mate who's 5 yards away is hilarious), his positioning is playground-like (hence his constant need to charge around the pitch like a ginger lunatic...he's hardly ever in good positions with or without the ball, always 'on the edge' if you like) and he's about as composed in the middle of the park as a cat with early signs of dementia.

The fact that he's been one of our better performers in midfield this season speaks volumes about the amount of times he's been selected. If he makes a mistake, it's glossed over. If Abeid or Anita make a mistake- christ. They're publicly and privately ridiculed. He's done some good things for us (as you would expect a PL-level footballer to do, his goals and assists record attests to that) but the praise for him by the club, media and some on here is staggering imo.

Nobody in here has given him any genuine plaudits. He's just done more than most in our terrible team. Including a number of options at CM including Anita and Carver-era Abeid.

You are correct about the media but it's not really the media. Just John Carver frin wghat iv;e seen

No, he is good enough to play that role for this team, a team who have lost nine of ten games and may well get relegated. He's been in a relegation battle every year of his Premier League career, and for good reason. Any team for whom Colback makes regular top flight appearances in such an important position will really struggle.

Wullie is spot on as usual. It's the same point I've been making at the pub for the last few weeks. Jack Colback will spend his whole career fighting relegation because that is the height of his talent. He will never be a regular for any team that has aspirations of finishing higher than 17th.

Nobody in here has given him any genuine plaudits. He's just done more than most in our terrible team. Including a number of options at CM including Anita and Carver-era Abeid.

You are correct about the media but it's not really the media. Just John Carver frin wghat iv;e seen

The guy got an England call up this season, with the current England manager actually referring to him as the Ginger Pirlo (whether in jest or not, it was ridiculous).

The guy got an England call up this season, with the current England manager actually referring to him as the Ginger Pirlo (whether in jest or not, it was ridiculous).

He got that after one decent performance against City. These days you are one decent performance away from a call-up in CM.

He would start. Are you telling me Colback isn't in the same league as the likes of McCarthy, Shelvey, Ki, Besic, Gibson, Barry, Osman, Britton and Cork?

A few months ago, people were saying how Anita could be a useful "cog" with the right players around him. That's how I see Colback. With the right players around him, he could do an effective job of spraying the ball around and winning tackles.

McCarthy for one is far more similar to Abeid in his game to Colback. He is constantly involved, great at closing down opposition midfielders and a good tackler. Colback is far more laid back and trots around at a sedate pace which is why people complain about him hiding during matches. Technically I don't have any problems with Colback, I just don't think he's involved enough and tends to get dominated as a result.

All this 'he's good in possession' and 'ticks things along nicely' is absolute fucking crap man  :lol:

The guy's first touch is especially turboshite (the amount of times he loses possession immediately after receiving the ball or is forced to go backwards due to a heavy touch is ridiculous), his range of passing is below average (he especially struggles with the weight...watching him ping it vociferously at a team mate who's 5 yards away is hilarious), his positioning is playground-like (hence his constant need to charge around the pitch like a ginger lunatic...he's hardly ever in good positions with or without the ball, always 'on the edge' if you like) and he's about as composed in the middle of the park as a cat with early signs of dementia.

The fact that he's been one of our better performers in midfield this season speaks volumes about the amount of times he's been selected. If he makes a mistake, it's glossed over. If Abeid or Anita make a mistake- christ. They're publicly and privately ridiculed. He's done some good things for us (as you would expect a PL-level footballer to do, his goals and assists record attests to that) but the praise for him by the club, media and some on here is staggering imo.

Reminds me of that famous Shola clip, ''It's difficult when you're second touch is a tackle''. Unbelievable the amount of times his first touch result in him having to making a lunging tackle to try and win it back.