Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Absolutely waste of skin. He literally plays in our back four when teams attack instead of coming out to stop them advancing. Literally screaming at the tv with every norwich attack. He leaves so much space.

Not to say he doesn't do a few positive passes per game but his limitations so far surpass his positive contributions it's beyond infuriating he continues to start.

For such an successful afternoon for the team, this cunt still played like shit, made a decent block and nearly had a standing ovation for him when he played a simple cross field pass, Anita came on and offered much, much more.

Tiote was god awful but can we forgive him it being his first start back?

Colback though, jesus christ that bloke is such a negative footballer its scary, he literally tucks in to the back four when we're defending leaving the midfield horribly exposed.

A decent replacement for him is duly needed in January.

63 min: I can’t claim to watch Colback every week, but from a Newcastle’s point of view, he is extremely frustrating to watch. Every pass is sideways, backwards, slows everything down.

From The Guardian

Nailed it.

Every ball from Scott Parker was either sideways or backwards after he'd finish his 720 degree turns, and I'd still rather have him over Colback any day of the week. Its like we're playing with 10 men every week with Colback in the side.

Jack Colback is just a little bit better than Alan Smith.

Didn't get to see much of the first half yesterday with it only being on in the background. In the second half, which I saw every minute of, I couldn't find one good contribution from him.

He uses an awful long time on the ball, and often pretends that he is about to pass the ball forward, only for the outcome to be negative in either losing the ball or playing it backwards.

and nearly had a standing ovation for him when he played a simple cross field pass

Maybe wishful thinking but I got the sense that applause for him was a patronising one. As in people were actually surprised he pulled that pass off because of his shitness and usual unwillingness to even attempt that kind of pass.

Like he was just a lost kid out there.

For such an successful afternoon for the team, this c*** still played like s***, made a decent block and nearly had a standing ovation for him when he played a simple cross field pass, Anita came on and offered much, much more.

Colback though, jesus christ that bloke is such a negative footballer its scary, he literally tucks in to the back four when we're defending leaving the midfield horribly exposed.

:lol: Remember that well.  Thought it was odd at the time.  But everything had been slowing down so much when he got on the ball and I think it was getting a little tight on the right hand side during that passage of play.  So him playing a decent, if completely routine pass to the left flank, was suddenly seen as something much better than it actually was. 

It is funny though.  The twitter and FB brigade absolutely love Colback.  But he is crucified on here.  I lean more towards the 'burn him at the stake, he's a witch' camp.  But I can see both sides of the argument, to a point.  What I can't stick is people defending him for 'putting a shift in' or 'working hard'.  :idiot2:

What I can't stick is people defending him for 'putting a shift in' or 'working hard'.  :idiot2:

He's a stat padding coward is the truth behind his "putting in a shift" façade.

It's just such bollocks.  Someone actually wrote something along the lines of "at least he runs around and works hard" in response to someone calling him shit on twitter or FB.  He plays centre mid FFS.  So he should be running around a fair bit. 

Can't hide the fact he is slow, shit at tackling and has no idea how to move the ball forward or quickly.  Such a ponderous shithouse.  A nothing player. 

Guest reefatoon

It's awful to watch. The first 10 or so minutes of the second half, him and Anita were just standing there with so much space ahead of them. Both of them taking up the same position is so infuriating.  We are weak as piss in that position, we need 1 good player in there doing the job of those two.

Guest firetotheworks

For such an successful afternoon for the team, this c*** still played like s***, made a decent block and nearly had a standing ovation for him when he played a simple cross field pass, Anita came on and offered much, much more.

:lol: Remember that well.  Thought it was odd at the time.  But everything had been slowing down so much when he got on the ball and I think it was getting a little tight on the right hand side during that passage of play.  So him playing a decent, if completely routine pass to the left flank, was suddenly seen as something much better than it actually was. 

It is funny though.  The twitter and FB brigade absolutely love Colback.  But he is crucified on here.  I lean more towards the 'burn him at the stake, he's a witch' camp.  But I can see both sides of the argument, to a point.  What I can't stick is people defending him for 'putting a shift in' or 'working hard'.  :idiot2:

Best come back to 'he works hard' that I've found is 'so would me and you, that doesn't mean we should be playing for Newcastle?'...it's the worst argument going.

Best come back to 'he works hard' that I've found is 'so would me and you, that doesn't mean we should be playing for Newcastle?'...it's the worst argument going.

Whenever I've come from that angle it gets petty, the response is always 'well you're not a professional footballer are you? You're in the Newcastle squad are you?'

I know you are, but what am I? So cringe. Soopafans man

I really struggle to understand the constant criticism of Colback on here. We all know his limitations and we all know the limitations of the side as a whole. He cost nowt, it's not his fault we havent bought a better player for the defensive role he's playing and there's little doubt that he's following the manager's instructions.

He did OK yesterday, certainly better than Tiote. If he could pick a pass, dictate play and he a goal threat, he wouldn't be playing the defensive role he is for us or he'd be playing it for a better team than us.

Tiote has a long long way to go before he can be considered as a reliable option, Anita isn't up to the role (expect the usual Anita defending posts) and we are pretty much left with Colback. I'd have liked to have seen Abeid get another chance, that was a very strange sale.

I really struggle to understand the constant criticism of Colback on here.

I thought he was awful yesterday- we were charging forward looking to rip Norwich a new one, ball comes to him. everything stops and goes backwards.

I really struggle to understand the constant criticism of Colback on here.

I thought he was awful yesterday- we were charging forward looking to rip Norwich a new one, ball comes to him. everything stops and goes backwards.

When we're bombing forward Colback shouldn't be involved full stop. I can't really remember him getting the ball in an offensive position, there were times when he got it defensively and slowed down any quick break but, that's the price to pay for his limitations, doesn't make him awful when he's no doubt been told to simply pass the ball on.

I'm not pretending he's anything other than average but some need to understand he's being asked to play a certain way for the team. He'd get hauled off if he started straying out of position or tried spraying 50 yard passes and booted the ball into touch trying to do so.

What's the point of his role then? He doesn't break things up. He does nowt. He gets leeway on being a Geordie and a few goals and assists last year. He's ( like many mind) been awful this season.

He does break things up and he does protect the back four where there'd otherwise be space. It's not glamorous and it's certainly not eye catching but it is functional. He doesn't get slack for being a local lad and if he's being judged on goals and assists he's got no chance. He's playing a position where the effectiveness isn't always obvious, the opposition will try and find attacking areas to nullify his position. On Sunday we were far too narrow again and the wide areas were vulnerable. With all the will in the world he can't protect those areas. He's not great but there's some unrealistic expectations of him.