Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When the best that people can come up with about a player is 'did nothing wrong' 'half decent' 'decent first half' etc about a central midfielder that plays for NUFC, you should probably have a quick think about Lee, Speed, Dyer...or Cabaye, who he replaced and then consider what your standards are for this club.

He's f***ing garbage, always has been and always will be. Not good enough for any Premier League team that doesn't fancy fighting relegation.

Spot on. 

I don't like Colback at all and would really rather he wasn't at the club, but I thought he actually wasn't that bad today.

He was given time and space today and still did nothing. They backed off him and he still just played the percentages, passing it sideways and backwards, not really getting involved too much and his touches were in areas where Sunderland knew he couldn't do too much damage.

He did get kicked out of the game and that's not his fault. Any injury he's picked up was inflicted by that c*** Cattermole.

True - he wasn't great with the ball, but he got himself into the box a few times.  I suppose I just didn't find watching him today as painful as I usually do.  Still just plain average.

What was his role yesterday? Auxillary right back at times? But he often had licence to really break forward and that's where he was poor for me.

In the first half we looked a talented with the ball CM away from being a really slick team imo. On the ball Tiote was the Tiote of old. 2 touches passing it simple and forward when he could. Sissoko opened his legs a few teams and looked a threat. Wijnaldum came in field and caused some trouble. I think he looked most likely to score, got himself in a few positions to let off a shot. In the first half, Ayoze was linking up really well - controlling the ball in tight spaces and helping us build attacks in the final third.

But Colback? I don't think he added any value other than a bit of tactical discipline.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not his biggest critic. But we looked a well coached side in the first half but not a particularly dangerous one. Why? No CM capable of doing damage is the biggest issue. Perhaps build-up is slightly too slow. Perhaps a lack of width. And perhaps a striker with top level movement in the box.

Have you mentioned the aerial duel that he missed out on prior to their first? I haven't been in every single thread in the football forum yet, so I might have missed it if you have.

I'm not his biggest critic. But we looked a well coached side in the first half but not a particularly dangerous one. Why? No CM capable of doing damage is the biggest issue. Perhaps build-up is slightly too slow. Perhaps a lack of width. And perhaps a striker with top level movement in the box.

Have you mentioned the aerial duel that he missed out on prior to their first? I haven't been in every single thread in the football forum yet, so I might have missed it if you have.

Of course I have.

I don't like Colback at all and would really rather he wasn't at the club, but I thought he actually wasn't that bad today.

He was given time and space today and still did nothing. They backed off him and he still just played the percentages, passing it sideways and backwards, not really getting involved too much and his touches were in areas where Sunderland knew he couldn't do too much damage.

He did get kicked out of the game and that's not his fault. Any injury he's picked up was inflicted by that c*** Cattermole.

True - he wasn't great with the ball, but he got himself into the box a few times.  I suppose I just didn't find watching him today as painful as I usually do.  Still just plain average.

What was his role yesterday? Auxillary right back at times? But he often had licence to really break forward and that's where he was poor for me.

In the first half we looked a talented with the ball CM away from being a really slick team imo. On the ball Tiote was the Tiote of old. 2 touches passing it simple and forward when he could. Sissoko opened his legs a few teams and looked a threat. Wijnaldum came in field and caused some trouble. I think he looked most likely to score, got himself in a few positions to let off a shot. In the first half, Ayoze was linking up really well - controlling the ball in tight spaces and helping us build attacks in the final third.

But Colback? I don't think he added any value other than a bit of tactical discipline.

Agree with a lot of this but found Perez's positioning a little baffling in that first half as he was playing very high, seemingly on the shoulder of their CB a lot of the time. Therefore the massive, horrible gap between our shit deep midfield and front four was there again. If Perez had played deeper like he did against Norwich I think we'd have cut them to shreds.

Can only think McClaren expected he would get in behind from Mitros knockdowns. Not the best idea imo.

Agree with a lot of this but found Perez's positioning a little baffling in that first half as he was playing very high, seemingly on the shoulder of their CB a lot of the time. Therefore the massive, horrible gap between our shit deep midfield and front four was there again. If Perez had played deeper like he did against Norwich I think we'd have cut them to shreds.

Can only think McClaren expected he would get in behind from Mitros knockdowns. Not the best idea imo.

We shouldn't really have that gap with Wijnaldum and Colback in the side. Colback is the spare man for me and with Tiote/Anita there as well he should be showing much more going forward. When he does get the ball he first stops and looks around then walks forward with the ball before making a nothing pass. He just slows the game right down, Anita for all his faults at least moves the ball on quickly.

"Jack Colback could be out for weeks after derby injury as Newcastle wait on scans"

Usually not happy about seeing players out injured, but as it seems like he is one of the first names on the team sheet for McClaren i wont complain too much. Not that we have much else for CM but maybe Aarons can get in now and Wijnaldum/Sissoko moved in to the centre

Anita

Sissoko      Wijnaldum

as a midfield 3. Mitrovic central then you've got options of playing a combination of Perez, De Jong, Thauvin, Aarons. Cisse on the bench etc. Absolutley no need to see Gouffran in there at all unless we pick up more injuries.