Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Guest antz1uk

whilst i am not saying he is blameless, are you able give an insight as to why he was dropped after a great performance away to Villa?

You can't simply blame Pardew. I'm not the silver fox's biggest fan, but Ben Arfa has been nothing short of an abomination this season. His own professionalism standards are disgusting.

I'm sure he's not 100% innocent but any thing he's done I'm convinced is a reaction to the shitty way he's been treated by Pardew. Let's not forget it's not just Ben Arfa. It's also Marveaux, Yanga-Mbiwa and Obertan (although that one is justified) who have been frozen out recently.

Guest antz1uk

escapegoat

ˈskeɪpgəʊt/Submit

noun

a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

Guest Nixon

You can't simply blame Pardew. I'm not the silver fox's biggest fan, but Ben Arfa has been nothing short of an abomination this season. His own professionalism standards are disgusting.

I'm sure he's not 100% innocent but any thing he's done I'm convinced is a reaction to the shitty way he's been treated by Pardew. Let's not forget it's not just Ben Arfa. It's also Marveaux, Yanga-Mbiwa and Obertan (although that one is justified) who have been frozen out recently.

But why do we accept that? His manager is a cock so he's allowed to be a cock?

I watched Ben Arfa closely for a handful of games as I was doing a piece on him and his ostracising from the first team and in truth that period totally changed my opinion on him.

Certainly Pardew did him no favours last season, but when he came on he consistently jumped from exciting to frustrating. He'd have moments of brilliance, but he'd also hold on to it far too long, always try to beat his man, and was not conducive to a team dynamic. I remember Pardew's 'two worlds' quote about Ben Arfa and it's true. When he has the ball he goes off into his own little world.

He's quite a lazy player (I don't mean defensively on this one either). He doesn't show for the ball, and in terms of his conditioning that's a joke. He couldn't hide the fact he was overweight, and I don't care if he's not playing, he should not have let it slide to that level.

I love Ben Arfa, he's a fantastically gifted player, but I just think he's far more hassle than he's worth and if he this was the team under Sir Bobby or Keegan we'd be more than happy to ship him out.

Guest antz1uk

I watched Ben Arfa closely for a handful of games as I was doing a piece on him and his ostracising from the first team and in truth that period totally changed my opinion on him.

Certainly Pardew did him no favours last season, but when he came on he consistently jumped from exciting to frustrating. He'd have moments of brilliance, but he'd also hold on to it far too long, always try to beat his man, and was not conducive to a team dynamic. I remember Pardew's 'two worlds' quote about Ben Arfa and it's true. When he has the ball he goes off into his own little world.

He's quite a lazy player (I don't mean defensively on this one either). He doesn't show for the ball, and in terms of his conditioning that's a joke. He couldn't hide the fact he was overweight, and I don't care if he's not playing, he should not have let it slide to that level.

I love Ben Arfa, he's a fantastically gifted player, but I just think he's far more hassle than he's worth and if he this was the team under Sir Bobby or Keegan we'd be more than happy to ship him out.

he'd be a far better player and the team built around him, he has been handled abysmally imo

English mentality of always must have lots of work rate is really damaging.

Attackers should be attacking and creating not playing as an auxiliary wingback and Hatem was for a long parts of games last season.

Within the context of being a player who isn't given an equal chance, is brought on with not much time to go in many games & with the purpose of changing the game it's hardly surprising is it that he then tries to hard. Everyone saw that.

He wasn't in peak condition, but Pardew has shown no faith in the lad consistently to give him self belief. You can't drop your best player after a singular dodgy game, Pardew dropped him even when he played superbly. He's been managed very poorly.

Guest Nixon

Attackers should be attacking and creating not playing as an auxiliary wingback and Hatem was for a long parts of games last season.

No that's just it I don't mean defensively. That's why I put it.

I mean in terms of showing for the ball, trying to work hard in that final third to conduct attacks and be the influencer he keeps claiming to be.

Guest Howaythetoon

As an individual its all about how you acquit yourself as to whether you will succeed in life and Ben Arfa certainly could have succeeded a lot more had he acquitted himself much better throughout his career.

Ronaldo has shown what can be achieved as have countless others, half with nowhere near the talent of Ben Arfa.

With his ability and position in the game he should be throwing himself into his own game, working tirelessly and endlessly to improve himself in every aspect in order to achieve greatness.

He hasn't done that and never likely will and that's his greatest downfall.

As a  Newcastle United player, it has to be said he has been very unlucky with injuries and the choice of manager he has had to work with, someone truly incapable of managing such a talent either individually, within the team or as a person and that has been the biggest factor as to why he just hasn't succeeded as he should here.

Play him every week and give him a free role and he will eventually become a high performing player on a consistent basis. He will always frustrate and have the occasional 'mare, but over the course of a season he will score goals, create goals, win games and star regularly because he's that good and even though his attitude is questionable, he clearly wants it or would love to 'have it' and by that I mean to be the best he can, to be the star of the show.

I just don't think he quite knows how to acquit himself properly to do it though, to get there, i.e. that next level that the likes of Suarez, Robben, Bale, Ronaldo and Messi have climbed to.

Btw I'm in no way claiming he is as good as them or can be, what I'm saying is those particular individuals have shown meteoric rises in their own game due to hard work and application and having the right attitude.

HBA is exactly the kind of player that made us all football fans, so to say Keegan and Robson would have binned him is completely untrue. They'd have done what they did with all the other flair players they deliberately bought and played, they'd have just let him win us matches.

No that's just it I don't mean defensively. That's why I put it.

I mean in terms of showing for the ball, trying to work hard in that final third to conduct attacks and be the influencer he keeps claiming to be.

I think he averaged a goal or an assist in every game he appeared in last season?

That's despite not having a run in the team or the managers backing?

He's far from perfect and we know we have a moody player on our hands but asking him to do things he isn't capable of doesn't help nor does making him the scapegoat as Alan as his PR campaign tried to do.

Bottom line is we will never see what he's capable of under this regime.

He's clearly not as driven as some of the top players, that's pretty obvious. Which is why it's important that he plays for a manager who understands him, can motivate him and get the best out of him. Good managers recognise this is as being a key skill in their job and get difficult players to perform on a weekly basis.

We've got Pardew. He doesn't have these skills, doesn't understand him,  blames him, can't motivate him so he's going to sell him at a loss. Poor Alan.

We sort of knew what we were getting when we bought him didn't we? The lad that came over on strike, there was a chance he might have been a bit of trouble :lol:

He hardly has a clean history.

Lovely player to watch though and I wish he got a lot more games.