Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

:lol:

How anyone can be reminded of that quote and not feel sadness at what could've been is beyond me. :dontknow:

Thank God there's a match again tomorrow.

:lol: :thup:

It's comical when people talk about "rabid, obsessed, fascinated HBA lovers", when in fact it's the "rabid, obsessed, fascinated HBA haters" who constantly start this argument every 3 months.

Coming out with outrageous statements like the fuckwit in my sig, yet they expect it to slide. Get to fuck.

How anyone can be reminded of that quote and not feel sadness at what could've been is beyond me. :dontknow:

It's comical when people talk about "rabid, obsessed, fascinated HBA lovers", when in fact it's the "rabid, obsessed, fascinated HBA haters" who constantly start this argument every 3 months.

Coming out with outrageous statements like the fuckwit in my sig, yet they expect it to slide. Get to fuck.

:lol: that's nothing short of ridiculous like.

Why would I hate Ben Arfa? I just don't get why people still fascinate about him. This thread is exactly that.

We should have moved on from him is all I am saying and I didn't / don't understand why people haven't.

It's like Ben Arfa is some sort of untouchable messiah.

Very peculiar.

Very peculiar.

imo He was an idiot for leaving Nice. Apparently he's a PSG fan so it was a dream? I suppose could understand that, but still.

:lol: that's nothing short of ridiculous like.

Why would I hate Ben Arfa? I just don't get why people still fascinate about him. This thread is exactly that.

We should have moved on from him is all I am saying and I didn't / don't understand why people haven't.

Very peculiar.

Moved on to...? Never ending mediocrity (at best)?

All I can do is look from the outside, and neither group seems particularly rabid. The main problem is that so much time has passed, with no obvious reason for either side to change their opinion. We just get the same arguments recycled endlessly, with no hope of resolution. There really are some "obsessed and fascinated HBA lovers", and there's nothing wrong with that, but I can understand why people might see the HBA thread at the top and go "Oh, FFS".

Like somebody said, he's a poster child, a symbol representing missed opportunities, a style of football lost (to you guys at least) and mourned, and a style of management lost and unmourned. There's no point in having the same recycled arguments, they're never going to be resolved, but it's surely fine to just reminisce. Particularly as things are uninspiring now.

:thup: In terms of people being fed up of the thread ending up back at the top of the forum, it generally only happens for a few days at a time when there's news regarding him. People can't be surprised when he's now a free agent.

Also, people like Footsoldier can't be surprised he gets met by 'rabid Ben Arfa' fans putting his shite to task when it's spouted not long after nigh on seven or eight consecutive posts from people who clearly remember him more fondly than that. :lol: I'm not saying don't post in here if you don't agree but if he's going to come out with it, expect the thread to stay at the top for a bit longer. :dontknow:

When you have people talking about the fanciful dream of resigning HBA, it's obviously not going to happen and therefore a joke. However when some tongue in cheek comments saying he's a legend or we would win the league with him as number 10 are met with this cliched Pardew nonsense...

Doubt if there'll be a club of note who would bother with him.

Too much trouble with little return.

I want players who are good consistently, not brilliant one game in 10 if you are lucky.

I would've loved him to be a top player but he wasn't. No work ethic unfortunately.

It's inevitably going to reignite the same arguments.

Guest firetotheworks

Maybe 1 in 10 was an exaggeration. I'll cut it back to 1 in 5 but I think I am being generous. Perhaps that will stop all of you rabid ben arfa fans from getting your knickers in such a twist. My point is he disappeared in many more games than he was brilliant. And as I've said, on his day he could be brilliant but they were few and far between. On an off day he was rank. Rose tinted glasses and all that have kicked in.

Who is to blame? Plenty to be shared for sure but the player has to bear the brunt of it even though he had a manager that was not the give us a cuddle and it will be alright next time type. Neither it seems were any of the others then apart from puel. We'll see what happens there.

Unlike many on here it seems, I want a team of players who are consistently good. On their day very good and can compete with anybody. Bar Man City maybe :) . Do I appreciate skillful players who can mesmerize you? Of course but only if we have a team that can support their off days and win consistently over the season. And provided the player contributes more than he detracts when others have to carry him.. It is not a coincidence that ben arfa's career has been so underwhelming as he is a talented player but clearly not a player seen as a final piece of the jigsaw by most managers. Mostly down to a poor attitude and laziness I'd venture or he could've been so, so much better.

Again, it was 1 in 3.5

1 goal in 3.5

1 assist in 4

So you're not being generous, the figures you're using are simply wrong. Isn't that the entire premise of what you're basing your opinion on?

If you go through the thread you'll also realise pretty quickly that there are no rose-tinted glasses like. If anything it's died down the other way since he's left.

Guest firetotheworks

A reminder.

This is from ages ago, but if we were to update it, it would work even more in HBA's favour considering the staggering ineptitude of the alternatives.

FWIW, I worked this out the other week for all these '1 game in 10' idiots. Gouffran and Sissoko's stats are slightly out as a result, but neither have scored since, so if anything it's doing them a favour. Mata's is out as well because he's scored against Liverpool since this.

HBA (48 starts)

1 goal per 3.5 PL starts

1 assist per 4 PL starts

Gouffran (56 starts)

1 goal per 6 PL starts

1 assist per PL 14 starts

Obertan (26 starts)

1 goal per 13 PL starts

1 assist per 4 PL starts

R. Taylor (31 starts)

1 goal per 10 PL starts

1 assist per 6 PL starts

Sissoko (61 starts)

1 goal per 8 PL starts

1 assist per 7 PL starts

...and now just for fun, compare him to an undoubtedly class player, about the same age, playing in the same position, dropped for apparently not tracking back and being lazy, recently sold for £37 million.

Juan Mata (96 starts)

1 goal per 3.5 PL starts

1 assist per 3 PL starts.

FWIW, I worked this out the other week for all these '1 game in 10' idiots. Gouffran and Sissoko's stats are slightly out as a result, but neither have scored since, so if anything it's doing them a favour. Mata's is out as well because he's scored against Liverpool since this.

HBA (48 starts)

1 goal per 3.5 PL starts

1 assist per 4 PL starts

Gouffran (56 starts)

1 goal per 6 PL starts

1 assist per PL 14 starts

Obertan (26 starts)

1 goal per 13 PL starts

1 assist per 4 PL starts

R. Taylor (31 starts)

1 goal per 10 PL starts

1 assist per 6 PL starts

Sissoko (61 starts)

1 goal per 8 PL starts

1 assist per 7 PL starts

...and now just for fun, compare him to an undoubtedly world class player, about the same age, playing in the same position, dropped for apparently not tracking back and being lazy, recently sold for £37 million.

Juan Mata (96 starts)

1 goal per 3.5 PL starts

1 assist per 3 PL starts.

I look forward to reading some concrete statistical evidence to refute these FACTS, Footsoldier.

Ben Arfa was class but figures like that are misleading if they include goals & assists from the bench too? If we go with that, KI's favourite Serbian's figures for Newcastle are...

1 goal every 2.4 starts.

1 assist every 3.3 starts.

;)

Wouldn't he have said "appearance" instead of "starts" if he included times when he came off the bench?