Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Think I'm now at the point where I don't think we will be any better off with HBA.

Yes he would be better under different management, but under that scenario I still think we would have better options in Cabella and Aarons and whoever else we may buy.

We have seen him at his best, and it was amazing, but I'm moving on from it with good memories.

any official reason as to why he was dropped?

like someone else has said, he has fallen out with every manager he has had, plus teammates from the age of 15/16 (see youtube for his fight with i think abou diaby at that french academy)

If thats his general human nature and he gets his team mates wound up (we have all heard the rumours of colo and the senior players fucking him off) then again despite his mercurial ability to have one amazing game in every 10 i dont want him back. I would much rather play aarons and sammy every week who put the effort in

Why does it matter really if he puts in as much effort as everybody else. We aren't going to get relegated no matter what, there are too many bad teams in the league so we might aswell play the most exciting player we have even if he does have faults

any official reason as to why he was dropped?

like someone else has said, he has fallen out with every manager he has had, plus teammates from the age of 15/16 (see youtube for his fight with i think abou diaby at that french academy)

If thats his general human nature and he gets his team mates wound up (we have all heard the rumours of colo and the senior players f***ing him off) then again despite his mercurial ability to have one amazing game in every 10 i dont want him back. I would much rather play aarons and sammy every week who put the effort in

Why does it matter really if he puts in as much effort as everybody else. We aren't going to get relegated no matter what, there are too many bad teams in the league so we might aswell play the most exciting player we have even if he does have faults

because football is too much of a tactical and demanding game these days to carry one person on the pitch.

For example, if HBA is playing right wing (as many want him to do) against lets say Everton, his man to keep an eye on is Leighton Baines

Now if your not bothered about him working hard then thats Baines and Mirallas on the left against Janmaat.

I would much rather play someone there that will make the effort to get back with Baines to help out than someone who doesnt put that effort in to get back and help

On the other hand would Baines be such a threat if he was forced to stay back and worry about OUR winger?

:thup: Maybe this did happen regularly where the opposition full back had a blinder when HBA was on the pitch but I can't remember it

On the other hand would Baines be such a threat if he was forced to stay back and worry about OUR winger?

i can see this way of thinking and agree with you that lesser players than Baines would be terrified of getting there to support the attack because of the threat

however taking baines as an example.. he puts the effort in to do both, he supports the attack then works his arse off to get back, same as Ashley Cole did and all top full backs do.

Riddled with myths as well.

Mercurial

One game in ten

Doesn't work hard

All total bullshit.

Totally agree - his end product was actually pretty impressive, especially when you consider his fairly sporadic runs in the team.  And the stuff about his workrate was always overexaggerated - I'd be interested how many goals where people could directly point to HBA as being the main reason why the goal was conceded.

Guest firetotheworks

Mercurial

One game in ten

Doesn't work hard

All total bullshit.

explain please

It doesn't need to be explained. He's simply not mercurial, when he was played he was generally consistent or much more consistent than other players. His record, again when played was not at all one in ten and I never had problems with him not tracking back. It's a myth based on the fact that he's a tricky winger. Tricky winger, takes risks, takes people on=memories of Ginola, Robert et al and therefore must be lazy. The irony being that the stereotype is exactly that, lazy. And wrong.

That kind of proves the point that although he probably could have done more with his talent, his output is pretty good compared to two of the best wingers we've ever had who were playing under far superior managers in a far superior team...

Mercurial

One game in ten

Doesn't work hard

All total bullshit.

Fine. Love the guy too.

So why the dickens were European clubs seemingly so unwilling to invest anything in his signature last summer?

Again with this :lol:

We've seen plenty of players move to 'lesser' clubs in the past, it's no indication of anything and I have no idea why people choose to cite nonsense like this over things they've actually witnessed with their own eyes.

Guest firetotheworks

Ignore your eyes and rely upon some made up arbitrary idea that 'if he was so good such and such would be after him' completely ignoring the fact that he was behind fucking Shola (now at a second division Greek team) or Dan Gosling (now at Championship Bournemouth) or Gouffran, or Obertan. All of whom started ahead of him and all of whom no one bats an eyelid about no one, let alone big teams wanting, and despite everyone knowing to be absolute dog shit.

Every single game he played on the right side of a front three, he was a terror. Nothing else to be said.

I am still waiting for an explanation on why he was ever taken away from that position, especially after that season where he was so devastating there, alongside Cisse and Ba.

i can see this way of thinking and agree with you that lesser players than Baines would be terrified of getting there to support the attack because of the threat

however taking baines as an example.. he puts the effort in to do both, he supports the attack then works his arse off to get back, same as Ashley Cole did and all top full backs do.

I don't think you can put Baines in the same league as Ashley Cole defensively