Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

I don't want to see players like Ben Arfa busting a gut to chase back when they can save their energy for running in the other direction with the ball at their feet.

Not sure I'll ever buy into the school of thought that a visible lack of effort is a positive trait for a footballer.

If a winger can't get up and down the wing for 90 minutes that's a quite glaring issue.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't want to see players like Ben Arfa busting a gut to chase back when they can save their energy for running in the other direction with the ball at their feet.

Not sure I'll ever buy into the school of thought that a visible lack of effort is a positive trait for a footballer.

Genuine question.

Low talent and high effort or high talent and low effort?

No doubt he thought Robert was a lazy shite as well.

Robert was lazy but did more for the club than Ben Arfa could ever dream of. Legend.

Because he had a manager that afforded him the luxury of being lazy because he knew it was worth it. I'd have loved to have seen the way Sir Bobby would've treated Ben Arfa.

Genuine question.

I'll always prefer the former as there's nowt worse than wasted talent imo. Obviously in reality whatever brings more success.

Robert's the best winger we've had at the club in 25 years+

I seem to remember there was a record-breaking 1000 page debate on this issue once.

He had one very good season and then defenders sussed him out IMO.

Guest firetotheworks

Genuine question.

I'll always prefer the former as there's nowt worse than wasted talent imo. Obviously in reality whatever brings more success.

Aye, I'll always be the opposite. The former are ten a penny and generally make up the teams that are battling relegation. Obviously there are limits like. Matt Ritchie's probably the player with the nearest balance of the two we have.

I reckon we'd be having the same discussions over Ginola and Robert if they had come along now rather than when football had time for the flawed genius.

15 years ago Ben Arfa would have been an absolute club legend not a divisive figure

Guest firetotheworks

Anyway, you're all forgetting Nol Solano  :smitten:

Edit, Just joking obviously. But seriously. Solano  :smitten:

Shearer's goals DVD doubles as a Solano assist DVD like.

Guest firetotheworks

This thread. :lol:

Every couple of months it's exactly the same cycle.

:lol:

Anah, it's a microcosm of the entire messageboard tbh. Give it a few weeks and we'll be back to whether we should take him back, but that he's not a Rafa player.

I could not possibly disagree with you more on this.

Not chasing back is not, in itself, a lack of effort. Not provided the reason for not chasing back is so that the winger can run at the opposition goal.

No player can run for 90 minutes at full speed. Even marathon runners only run for 120 minutes and they're not exactly sprinting. If you want your attacking players to be able to provide full effort running at the opposition, they simply must conserve energy when deciding which balls to chase the other way. It's not lack of effort, it's using your effort wisely because you only have so much to give, no matter how fit you are, and being intelligent.

I reckon we'd be having the same discussions over Ginola and Robert if they had come along now rather than when football had time for the flawed genius.

15 years ago Ben Arfa would have been an absolute club legend not a divisive figure

Ginola? flawed! How very dare you... (discuss  :lol:)

Guest firetotheworks

Now's as good a time as any to mention Football Mavericks, which is a great watch and on YouTube iirc.

Guest neesy111

Now's as good a time as any to mention Football Mavericks, which is a great watch and on YouTube iirc.

Hardly any nowadays (mavericks).  The current state of football has stifled players with flair etc, far too tactical now.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, Zlatan's probably the nearest that we have now, but he's still extremely professional with all of the talk alongside it.

On the other hand, if it involves dealing with a different kind of personality in a unique way and tolerating a few things you wouldn't from a less talented player then they are probably wrong.

Less of an issue for PSG I guess, they will win the league anyway and have plenty of top players to pick instead.

Back in the real world, being outrageously tolerant of wasters leads to atrocious squad harmony. Actual professionals despise it. Such a shame what he continues to throw away. Sad

:lol: