Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Robert wasn't lazy in the opposing half, which is where it matters for an attacking player. Having Jonas and Alsoran forced upon us has distorted the definition of what a wide attacking player's remit should be.

Robert's the best winger we've had at the club in 25 years+

I seem to remember there was a record-breaking 1000 page debate on this issue once.

He had one very good season and then defenders sussed him out IMO.

Except his best season was his third at the club. You need putting down, like.

Robert wasn't lazy in the opposing half, which is where it matters for an attacking player. Having Jonas and Alsoran forced upon us has distorted the definition of what a wide attacking player's remit should be.

Agreed. You only get one life and I'd rather spend it watching a fat, lazy waste of talent waltz his way through the opposing team as if the ball is stuck to his foot than watching an uninspiring grafter tracking his man back to our own penalty area. But then I'm a bit weird like that.

Now's as good a time as any to mention Football Mavericks, which is a great watch and on YouTube iirc.

Hardly any nowadays (mavericks).  The current state of football has stifled players with flair etc, far too tactical now.

On the subject of mavericks, I read earlier that Cassano called a press conference today to announced his retirement 8 days after joining Verona and then just changed his mind and is continuing on [emoji38]

Easier to compare Ginola and Robert - both enjoyed playing for world class managers in a team that was attacking more than defending.

Ben Arfa was often a 1 man team with only the likes of Ba, Cisse, or Cabaye providing any other type of threat around the pitch and all played for an ultra negative fraud of a manager.

I don't have much problem with HBA's contribution on the pitch. Unfortunately he did himself no favours with his lax attitude to the off the pitch preparations - that and his relationships with the personnel around him; he's clearly a problem.

Ultimately he's the one to blame for the fact he's not an NUFC player.

I don't have much problem with HBA's contribution on the pitch. Unfortunately he did himself no favours with his lax attitude to the off the pitch preparations - that and his relationships with the personnel around him; he's clearly a problem.

Ultimately he's the one to blame for the fact he's not an NUFC player.

Pardew's fault mainly for me. I always think of the Stoke game where HBA was brilliant, i know it was 10 then 9 men but for him to then get dropped for the next game. It showed you Pardew was never going to back him, no matter how well he played. HBA isn't blameless mind, and that's without question when you look at his past with many clubs and managers.

Guest Howaythetoon

A player like Ben Arfa needs a KK or a Sir Bobby to get the best out of him. Anyway he's easily in the top five of most talented players I've seen for us. Unreal ability. As for Ginola, I'd probably pick him ahead of Robert for some reason, but the latter had the better Toon career and although he was frustrating, he would go for an absolute fortune in today's game. Capable of scoring double figures and creating just as many. Of all our left sides wingers or players though I'd pick Sellars...

Guest Howaythetoon

The fact we're talking about him at all shows how much of an impact he had. Just a massive waste, that's all.

Not just here but at every club really, bar Nice.

A player like Ben Arfa needs a KK or a Sir Bobby to get the best out of him. Anyway he's easily in the top five of most talented players I've seen for us. Unreal ability. As for Ginola, I'd probably pick him ahead of Robert for some reason, but the latter had the better Toon career and although he was frustrating, he would go for an absolute fortune in today's game. Capable of scoring double figures and creating just as many. Of all our left sides wingers or players though I'd pick Sellars...

Nobby for me, like.  He had the sweetest right foot in the league and that was when Beckham was playing.

Guest neesy111

Now's as good a time as any to mention Football Mavericks, which is a great watch and on YouTube iirc.

Hardly any nowadays (mavericks).  The current state of football has stifled players with flair etc, far too tactical now.

On the subject of mavericks, I read earlier that Cassano called a press conference today to announced his retirement 8 days after joining Verona and then just changed his mind and is continuing on [emoji38]

Classic.  :aww:

Guest neesy111

People still thinking Balotelli is anything other than average? :lol:

He was decent for them last season, helped them to get into the CL qualifying round.  Could explode at any point still.

People still thinking Balotelli is anything other than average? :lol:

He was decent for them last season, helped them to get into the CL qualifying round.  Could explode at any point still.

So like I said. Average :lol:

decent

ˈdiːs(ə)nt/

adjective

conforming with generally accepted standards of respectable or moral behaviour.

"a decent clean-living individual"

of an acceptable standard; satisfactory.

"people need decent homes"

synonyms: satisfactory, reasonable, fair, acceptable, adequate, sufficient, sufficiently good, good enough, ample, up to scratch, up to the mark, up to standard, up to par, competent, not bad, all right, average, tolerable, passable, suitable; informalOK, okay, up to snuff