Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

22 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

In spite of never actually bothering to improve himself at any club he played at, he was still widely regarded as being good enough to play at any club in the world had he done so.

His entire career was based on talent and talent alone. That makes him unique to any winger we've ever had. 

:bruce:

That leg break he got at Man City, which as far as I recall wasn't even given as a foul, was one of the most sickening things I've seen.

So, I was so pleased he recovered from that, came back and was still the most sensational player I've ever seen.

I think what's sometimes forgotten is that the reason you pay for a ticket is to watch people do things like he could up close, and it's totally different to watching it on TV.

I thought the same thing the first time I saw Ginola play, but to me Ben Arfa trumped him in terms of the sheer excitement of just watching him. I still remember that goal from the halfway line, sat in the Gallowgate.

Even from when he picked up the ball to start that impossible dribble, the bloke next to me, never one given to getting carried away, just said excitedly "oh, here we go". It seemed there was something in Ben Arfa's mind right from the off.

And then just we watched him just go and do it and went crackers when he did - never felt anything like it when he got the ball and you just knew he was on one.

And that wasn't even his best goal [emoji38]

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

If Ben Arfa was too much of a maverick for 2012* then there's no way he'd last in today's game where tactical discipline, team ethic and raw athleticism trump individuality. 

*debatable, I know

Still, I think the most creative and adaptable manager finds a way...

If that's the case then this game has lost it's soul. When anyone waxes poetic about footy they start with names, not squads.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

If that's the case then this game has lost it's soul. When anyone waxes poetic about footy they start with names, not squads.

It has. :lol: But at a wider, cultural scale, rather than the game itself. 

In terms of the game itself, I do think there's less room for wild card players; at the very top level anyway. You'll always have individual brilliance and players who are obviously exceptional in their position, but sides have to be so rigorously drilled and athletic now. Individuality contradicts that. 

There are probably managers and systems out there which are more accommodating to mavericks. Maybe at international level, where there's less time to imprint a team philosophy on a group of players? 

3 hours ago, Abacus said:

That leg break he got at Man City, which as far as I recall wasn't even given as a foul, was one of the most sickening things I've seen.

So, I was so pleased he recovered from that, came back and was still the most sensational player I've ever seen.

I think what's sometimes forgotten is that the reason you pay for a ticket is to watch people do things like he could up close, and it's totally different to watching it on TV.

I thought the same thing the first time I saw Ginola play, but to me Ben Arfa trumped him in terms of the sheer excitement of just watching him. I still remember that goal from the halfway line, sat in the Gallowgate.

Even from when he picked up the ball to start that impossible dribble, the bloke next to me, never one given to getting carried away, just said excitedly "oh, here we go". It seemed there was something in Ben Arfa's mind right from the off.

And then just we watched him just go and do it and went crackers when he did - never felt anything like it when he got the ball and you just knew he was on one.

And that wasn't even his best goal [emoji38]

That dirty cunt De Jong, wasn't it? Filthy bastard of a player. 

23 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I still remember the absolute trauma of that challenge, disgusting player.

I’ve never been more angry at something football related. It was a horrible foul designed to take out our best player early. De Jong was a disgusting reprobate.

27 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I was the most excited I had ever been over a player after the debut and then he breaks his entire leg 2 games later. Should've seen it coming, don't know why I was getting my hopes up.[emoji38]

Genuinely think with the right attitude he would have been challenging for the ballon d'or, an unbelievably good footballer. Having that bad attitude, however, meant that we got to have him at Newcastle and I don't know if I will ever see a better footballer at Newcastle in terms of natural ability, a joy to watch!

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

It has. :lol: But at a wider, cultural scale, rather than the game itself. 

In terms of the game itself, I do think there's less room for wild card players; at the very top level anyway. You'll always have individual brilliance and players who are obviously exceptional in their position, but sides have to be so rigorously drilled and athletic now. Individuality contradicts that. 

There are probably managers and systems out there which are more accommodating to mavericks. Maybe at international level, where there's less time to imprint a team philosophy on a group of players? 

I just want to see players doing what seems impossible to normal mortals and take my breath away, forget the rest of the politics and shite. That was Hatem.

Edit, basically I agree, but it's not what I watch a match for. Yeah sure, let's grind out a result. Are you there to see someone win the league with a daily grind, or are you there to see the most beautiful minutes of how football should be played?

Edited by Abacus

i got to see this lad and gazza in a black and white shirt.

may have been better or more productive players for us over the years but these lads were something special to watch in person.

if only Hatem had buried that chance against benfica.