The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

Guest firetotheworks

I'm sure Gerrard's injuries stopped once he had his wisdom teeth out. That whole wisdom teeth/hamstring connection is absolutely baffling like.

This whole Zidane stepping up for big games thing seems to be conveniently ignoring his last ever game. :lol: Ye nah, the one where he headbutted a player and got sent off in the biggest game of all.

Absolute nonsense that you would pick him at his best over Ronaldo at his best like. I'd pick him if I wanted to watch something wonderful, but not if I wanted to win, not over Ronaldo.

This post :lol: You are either deliberately forgetting the 2006 World Cup to suit your argument or didn't watch it at all. No one is saying CRonaldo isn't one of the greatest, but if it was down to one final game and I had to pick between the two, I'd take Zidane 10 times out of 10. The guy was simply the best when it mattered the most. v Brazil 98', Portugal 00', Bayer Leverkusen 02', game against Spain, Brazil, Portugal and even Italy until the headbut in the 06' World Cup. He was just that good at his best, what CRonaldo has over him is consistency, that doesn't mean Zidane wasn't consistent, just meant he turned it up a notch in the most important games.

Guest firetotheworks

This whole Zidane stepping up for big games thing seems to be conveniently ignoring his last ever game. :lol: Ye nah, the one where he headbutted a player and got sent off in the biggest game of all.

Absolute nonsense that you would pick him at his best over Ronaldo at his best like. I'd pick him if I wanted to watch something wonderful, but not if I wanted to win, not over Ronaldo.

This post :lol: You are either deliberately forgetting the 2006 World Cup to suit your argument or didn't watch it at all. No one is saying CRonaldo isn't one of the greatest, but if it was down to one final game and I had to pick between the two, I'd take Zidane 10 times out of 10. The guy was simply the best when it mattered the most. v Brazil 98', Portugal 00', Bayer Leverkusen 02', game against Spain, Brazil, Portugal and even Italy until the headbut in the 06' World Cup. He was just that good at his best, what CRonaldo has over him is consistency, that doesn't mean Zidane wasn't consistent, just meant he turned it up a notch in the most important games.

How am I forgetting the 2006 World Cup when it was me that brought it up as a retort to the point about him turning up in big games? He headbutted a player and got sent off in the final. Whether he dragged them there or not, that's the biggest game.

I love Zidane, he was brilliant and in my top 5 players that I've ever seen, but people have rose-tinted glasses where he's concerned imo.

In one. The abilty to be able to show up in the big games is one Zidane had in abundance. Midweek game away at Cadiz and he wouldn't be arsed when you know CRonaldo would be taking the match ball home.

Zidane simply was a magician when he wanted to be.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't see how that's something that you would put in Ronaldo's favour. It makes literally no sense. Zidane was a magician when he wanted to be, Ronaldo is a magician pretty much all the time.

I'm sure Gerrard's injuries stopped once he had his wisdom teeth out. That whole wisdom teeth/hamstring connection is absolutely baffling like.

Italians are big on that. AC I think didn't sign this one French lad because of his teeth lol

Aye, Aly Cissokho

I don't see how that's something that you would put in Ronaldo's favour. It makes literally no sense. Zidane was a magician when he wanted to be, Ronaldo is a magician pretty much all the time.

Ronaldo really isn't a magician all the time. I've seen him disappear in so many games man, and many of them important ones. Just look at the CL final, he didn't perform at all. It wasn't until Di Maria and Marcelo turned it up a notch that Real won it. I'm not taking anything away from him, but Zidane's ceiling was IMO definitely higher thaN CRonaldo.

Anyways, doesn't matter. Different players, different era.

Italians are big on that. AC I think didn't sign this one French lad because of his teeth lol

Aye, Aly Cissokho

Worked out for the best, he's gash.

Guest firetotheworks

Ronaldo really isn't a magician all the time. I've seen him disappear in so many games man, and many of them important ones. Just look at the CL final, he didn't perform at all. It wasn't until Di Maria and Marcelo turned it up a notch that Real won it. I'm not taking anything away from him, but Zidane's ceiling was IMO definitely higher thaN CRonaldo.

I disagree with most of that, right down to it being a different era.

I disagree with most of that, right down to it being a different era.

Lets be honest here KI. Only thing you can disagree with is that Zidane had a higher ceiling since that is my opinion. The rest are facts.

Guest firetotheworks

Zidane and Ronaldo are a different era? They're separate eras, despite overlapping, but it's a bit of a stretch to call them different. Or if they are it's minimal. Semantics though, and your opinion on Ronaldo disappearing is your opinion, not a fact. So aye, we can agree with the fact that they're different players.

Zidane and Ronaldo are a different era? They're separate eras, despite overlapping, but it's a bit of a stretch to call them different. Or if they are it's minimal. Semantics though, and your opinion on Ronaldo disappearing is your opinion, not a fact. So aye, we can agree with the fact that they're different players.

Fair enough.

Era/Generation. For me they're in different times considering it's 13 years between them and Zidane quit when CRonaldo was starting to become the player we all know him as.

Don't you think it's a bit odd to criticise Ronaldo for his individual performances for Portugal and then talk about the importance of the team? Portugal are lifting and have been for a fair few years.

They would have got out of their group in the world cup if Ronaldo hadn't missed so many chances

I don't think he disappeared per se in the champions league final, I just think he finds it very difficult to play against Atletico as they don't allow him the space he needs

I don't think he disappeared per se in the champions league final, I just think he finds it very difficult to play against Atletico as they don't allow him the space he needs

He still disppeared, whether that was down to Atletico coping with him or not he didn't have a good game in the final.

They won the CL and he scored a record breaking 17 goals in the tournament.  It's utterly phenomenal.

Not tearing apart arguably the most formidable team in Europe last season and scoring a couple of goals isn't not turning up.  It was jsut a very tense, tight match up.

Yeah, but that goal. Just re-watched it again, its totally ridiculous. Best volley ever scored imo, possibly best goal ever scored

The moment that ball went in I fell in love with football. Absolutely glorious.