Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

I think he did really well. It seemed to work having more of a static focal point for the midfield, rather than Perez making runs off the striker. Gave us an extra body in midfield, and did alright getting forward considering he only has half a lung and one knee.

Together with the extra(live on Sky #supersunday) effort, the change in shape with him playing seemed the biggest change. Definitely a positive, as I hadn't been too impressed with him util now.

He should be there in the team as we could see players listening to his orders and organisation. He's the type of guy I would have in the team to pick up the scraps in and around the box, someone that we don't have other than him.

He is basically the Dutch Nolan on that description

Today of all days showed there's more to football than lineups /formations. They all worked today and every single one has earned the right to start next week. If their application drops then bench them the next week. We need to start ingraining the importance of a high effort level pressing mentality more than anything.

Much rather De Jong through the centre than Perez atm. Ayoze has looked far to light weight lately. Needs a wide berth on recent form as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Perez personally, he lost his place so that De Jong could shore up our diddy men midfield. I thought he did a good job as sub as well tbh, he shored up the left side manfully from a defensive point of view.

I thought he was slow and was pushed off the ball as much as, if not more, than Perez usually does. Ineffective going forward and not entirely sure where the effusive praise is coming from. We've seen more from Perez in that role all season.

I thought he was slow and was pushed off the ball as much as, if not more, than Perez usually does. Ineffective going forward and not entirely sure where the effusive praise is coming from. We've seen more from Perez in that role all season.

Most have praised his work off the ball, rather than what he did on it. Today was his first start in how long? He was better than Perez has been in his last couple of matches and may well get better with more time. Personally, I saw a pretty big benefit in having an experienced, intelligent head in a key area. He stayed in similar areas the whole game and that suited our structure more, IMO.

Get the feeling that he is quality and will improve our creativity big time if he gets decent run. No more mishaps please,like a king size rizla getting whipped up on the autumn breeze and coming down and slicing his lug clean off the side of his head.

I still think there's space for De Jong and Perez in the side with Sissoko moving to the centre.

Agreed.  Sadly, I think barring any injuries.  We'll be playing the same XI, until we get hammered a couple of times.  Then we'll panic and McClaren will tinker, again. 

I still think there's space for De Jong and Perez in the side with Sissoko moving to the centre.

Agreed.  Sadly, I think barring any injuries.  We'll be playing the same XI, until we get hammered a couple of times.  Then we'll panic and McClaren will tinker, again. 

Will be very pardew that, won't it!

Different class De Jong. Criminal it's taking this long for us to give him a good opportunity. Fair enough injuries have massivley stalled his progress but he's been 'fit' for a good while now and still been restricted to pointless cameos. Barring any furthur injuries, we should be looking to build our play around him.

Different class De Jong. Criminal it's taking this long for us to give him a good opportunity. Fair enough injuries have massivley stalled his progress but he's been 'fit' for a good while now and still been restricted to pointless cameos. Barring any furthur injuries, we should be looking to build our play around him.

Yup. Mad to think this was only his second start for us in the league? Has an air of "knowing" about him. Just a natural footballer. Looks to have a good understanding with Wijnaldum. Really needs to start every game as long as he stays fit.