Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

I'm unconvinced he should play from the start. He strikes me as a player who would be better coming on as a sub to give us a different dimension when legs begin to tire and whatever imagination we have is exhausted. But willing to give him the chance to start behind Mitro and Cisse against Norwich.     

It was nice to have someone on the pitch, that actually showed for the ball and didn't seem s*** scared.  Unless they were totally unmarked or safe in our own half.  None of our players seemed to want the ball.  It was pathetic. 

This is why I hate Colback as a player - he doesn't move into positions to be able to accept a pass and do something with it - he just stands there and if the ball is passed forward to him by the defense, then his first reaction is to immediately play it right back to the same player. Pointless.

Compare that with the better teams who receive the ball without standing back-to-goal, and who are working to move into position to receive the pass or to receive the next pass from the first guy.  We are so static.

I wish he had gotten more time yesterday. He was solid, even won the ball back a few times which I didn't think was possible without him shattering into a million pieces.

Think I agree that he should start ahead of Perez at the moment.

Not sure we can play Wijnaldum and Perez in the same team, we can't afford to carry two players when they go missing. SDJ has to start behind Mitro or Cisse.

Starting to think this myself, at least while they're both struggling and we're desperate for points.

IMO de Jong has to be on the pitch at the same time as Perez and Wijnaldum. They are the most technical players we have and if Rafa can get a system built around them we could spend the majority of games camped in the opposition half. Pity we don't have a prolific striker.

• 2 weeks later...