Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

Think this is the only guy that can save us from relegation now. We need to start him for the remaining games and hope he can turn it around. He's so tidy in possession and while he's so slow, he gets the team ticking. I'd start him with Shelvey and Wijnaldum in mdifield, and hope they both start performing as well. Townsend and Perez wide with Mitro up top.

Think this is the only guy that can save us from relegation now. We need to start him for the remaining games and hope he can turn it around. He's so tidy in possession and while he's so slow, he gets the team ticking. I'd start him with Shelvey and Wijnaldum in mdifield, and hope they both start performing as well. Townsend and Perez wide with Mitro up top.

You're clutching at straws big time. The last guy who could affect a game like that has just scored a hatful for nice. De Jongs alright but he's not that guy.

I don't think De Jong's individual talent is the important thing - it's the fact he has a brain and actually makes us play coherent football.  He links up play quite well with quick one touch passes and actually makes the players around him look and play better.  Personally, I'd get him in a midfield three and get him to run things, not the braindead Shelvey.

Should be playing, you could make an argument any of our midfield should be dropped to accommodate him (bar possibly Townsend).

Him sitting bang in the middle of the pitch dictating the game and leading the team would be much more constructive in this fight than watching Gini run around in circles without going near the ball.

I expect a lot of people will disagree but I reckon I'd go for a midfield three of de Jong, Tiote and Sissoko/Wijnaldum.  For all Tiote's faults, he has a bit of energy and has some presence.  De Jong can keep things ticking over and generally run the midfield and hopefully that releases Sissoko to hit on the break or Wijnaldum to get into the box.

I suppose I use 'run' in a loose sense.  Whenever he comes on, he seems to bring players into the game and speed up our passing.  We don't seem to have anyone else who can do that.  Shelvey just slows the ball down while he tries another pointless Hollywood pass.

I'd have:

Mitrovic

Townsend                                                            Perez

Tiote  de Jong  Sissoko/Wijnaldum

The good thing about signing Townsend was that we finally had a threat down the left. Sissoko/Janmaat was our only attacking plan and it was so predictable - Townsend added variety, yet we've hardly seen that arrangement. If Dummett is back and Sissoko HAS to play, play him down the right.

Basically, Disco's team :thup:

I'd like to see Sissoko in the middle as part of a midfield three to be honest and just tell him to run with it, Forrest Gump style, at the heart of their defence.

A midfield three has been our best option for absolutely ages IMO, no manager seems to fancy it though. Helps Shelvey as well.

I'd rather see Sissoko play his central box to box role and play Wijnaldum wide left or right opposite Perez or Townsend. Mitro up top. Siem de Jong playing #10 role and pair Sissoko with Shelvey or Tiote. If Sissoko is anywhere else then it's LB if Dummett isnt fit.

From the nufc.com match preview:

Siem De Jong has started just three PL games this season - victories against Liverpool (h) and Spurs (a) plus the home draw with Aston Villa.

Surely time to stick him in there?

Siem De Jong has started just three PL games this season - victories against Liverpool (h) and Spurs (a) plus the home draw with Aston Villa.

Not surprising, the only player we have with a brain and positional sense.

:thup:

:thup:

He was only dropped because he missed that sitter v Villa. I thought that was poor management by Mcclaren, the guy was just rebuilding his confidence & came across as a bit of a leader on the field.

Fairly sure he'd assisted the first goal in that game with a corner aswell. One miss and dropped.

I know he has had loads in weird injuries, but now he is fit he has to start from me. He links the team together very well and playing off the front man he is very clever at stopping teams playing out through the DM easily. I might be wrong, but im sure we will get something from the game if he starts tomorrow. Also his leadership and organisation have seemed key in the games he has played