Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

• 4 weeks later...

Very sluggish at present, hopefully just down to fitness but I get the feeling he's that kind of player.

He doesn't look like he's going to offer anything creatively. He seems similar to Nolan. Let's hope he can chip with a decent amount of goals over the season.

Guest Recoba

Give him 90 minutes in the upcoming League Cup game.  Barring injuries I see him as a supersub this season.  Does not offer the same dynamism as Wijnaldum as "10".

I'm really confused by SDJ so far, nothing I've seen makes me think he can be a good Premier League #10. He just seems to have really poor movement and generally looks sluggish and slow.

I'm assuming he was a far better player for Ajax? Pre injury, Pro fitness and all?

I'm really confused by SDJ so far, nothing I've seen makes me think he can be a good Premier League #10. He just seems to have really poor movement and generally looks sluggish and slow.

I'm assuming he was a far better player for Ajax? Pre injury, Pro fitness and all?

He hadn't played enough games for anyone to make a judgement, in the premiership at least.

Think he's less #10 and more goal scoring support forward. Movement, finding space, finishing his best attributes.

I'd rather see Ayoze in that position tbh.

Think he's less #10 and more goal scoring support forward. Movement, finding space, finishing his best attributes.

I'd rather see Ayoze in that position tbh.

Agree with this. And I'd add that I'm not sure you can carry this type of player when you're in the sort of position we are in the league. Maybe Citeh or Manyoo could but we need all 11 contributing fully.

Think I said the other day that I can't see how you'll ever be able to have Cisse and De Jong together.

Last season he played one game and had one sub appearance, and managed to get a goal as well as have a good preseason, this year he's had a decent preseason and looked alright at the weekend, it's far to early to tell but I think he has what it takes.

He's actually a supremely intelligent footballer with great movement and ability to finish either foot (tap-ins or volleys) and use his head. He's literally just been out of playing for so long and needs to regain that sharpness. He plays the ball very quickly (usually first time or quick control and pass).

I want him to do well here and think he can, but as of right now - I'd push Gini back and get Ayoze as the #10.

Baffling to see some doubters on here. Of course he's had his injury troubles but when he's fit the guy could be our best player for some time; incredibly intelligent, composed, great passer of the ball, excellent finisher. If he can put his injury troubles behind him he should be the first name on the team sheet for me.

He's actually a supremely intelligent footballer with great movement and ability to finish either foot (tap-ins or volleys) and use his head. He's literally just been out of playing for so long and needs to regain that sharpness. He plays the ball very quickly (usually first time or quick control and pass).

I want him to do well here and think he can, but as of right now - I'd push Gini back and get Ayoze as the #10.

Totally agree.  Perez would add another dimension to our side

I don't disagree. But he needs to be surrounded by pace for one, and we need to be playing much further up the pitch. We of course saw him on when we didn't look like we were going to attack anymore.

Anita, Gini, Aarons/Perez, Sissoko and you've got the right surrounding players for Siem IMO.

Baffling to see some doubters on here. Of course he's had his injury troubles but when he's fit the guy could be our best player for some time; incredibly intelligent, composed, great passer of the ball, excellent finisher. If he can put his injury troubles behind him he should be the first name on the team sheet for me.

:thup: It's a big if, but if he can put everything behind him and get back the form he showed at Ajax he would improve us immensely.

Came in to say the same thing. He came on Sunday when we were against the wall, he hardly got to see the ball. When he starts games and playing like we did on Saturday he'll be a huge asset. Mental some of the stuff in here.

In confident De Jong will come good if he stays fit. Saw him a fair bit at Ajax and thought he was class. Only played a handful of games for us but the goal he scored at the end of last season shows his composure and technique. He'll get eased in, he played what 4 games in all of last year?

His movement's one of his best attributes.

His movement's one of his best attributes.

aye, his off the ball movement looks quality tbf