Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

I definitely had an issue with LDJ. His gentle backpasses to the opposition keeper would've been chalked off as rustiness if we weren't direly in the need for a striker to just smash a goal or two in when he was playing. We sorely needed the points. Maybe the pressure and where we were in the league that season didn't help his confidence at all, which is me being kind to him.

I'm glad he's found his feet again elsewhere. Just because a player fails in his time at one club doesn't mean he's shit at everything forever.

Problem is he looks soooooo slow... Really worried about this, can he cut the Prem or is he another brother of the same name...

i agree with this entirely, but i only see this as a problem until the team starts to function a bit better and hopefully become a bit less shaky at the back...then it'd be no worse than having an immobile 2nd striker in a 4-4-2, thing is he'd have to weigh in with goals for it to work

he should be nowhere near the pitch in games like sunday mind, not for a long while, hope mclaren gets this now

Sorry, this is just wrong, he's not immobile at all man.

fortunate i didn't say he was immobile then

People can't look past Luuk and are trying to put that s*** on Siem man. My goodness.

He is not too slow to play in that position, and Sunday is no reference for his game, as the team was absolute garbage once he came on.

Can't believe the junk being talked about the guy man. So fickle.

Luuk de Jong is doing pretty well at PSV at the moment. One would almost think our coaching setup didn't have a clue at the time on how to use him or give him confidence. I realise he didn't set the league on fire in Germany either, but he's certainly a better striker than he showed at NUFC, and I wouldn't be surprised if he still managed to prove himself in a better league in the future.

As for his brother Siem, I've said he was a better version of Kevin Nolan straight from the start. He can certainly be a very useful player for us and I think he's plenty good and strong enough for the Premier League personally (he put two past Man City in the CL). Writing him off after only a few appearances like some on here are doing is incredibly harsh.

Funny thing is I have no doubt that Luuk's poor showings were down to the buffoons in charge.

I would have had no issue with him staying actually. He had been injured, and I doubt the preparation for him to get back into the groove was good enough.

My post above was more referring to people's disappointment in Luuk at the time, and now transferring that onto Siem. I had no issue with Luuk whatsoever. I think it's a shame he never really got a chance to get into his groove here.

Tbf I don't think you can blame Pardew for Luuk de Jong not being able to kick the ball with any force whatsoever

It's funny that LDJ seems to be able to hit it just fine for PSV

It was obviously a massive confidence issue probably from not making it in Germany rather than a lack of skill

I've seen De Jong twice this season; down at York and after coming on against Southampton. Of that pitch time, he's spent about 90% of it being completely invisible - which is a bit of a concern - but it's still early days for him and I'd hunch that he'll be a useful squad member.

If Pardew was still here I'd have virtually no hope of SDJ ever being a success, because, from what we've seen so far, he doesn't appear to have a particularly defined position in the front six. Pards set his formations up totally rigidly (despite what you hear), and every single attacker we had under him that needed some form of fluidity going forward ultimately failed. McClaren, hopefully, will be better at recognising exactly what he has at his disposal.

At the moment we've got a variety of attackers with different attributes - there's a good mix of styles and positions there. I don't see why De Jong can't find his place amongst that, but he'll never be an impact sub.

Just last week De Jong was talking about coming back stronger from his injury set-back. “I’ve trained a lot, especially in the first half of last season when I had the injury,” he said.

“I came back stronger and got the other injury. That drained a lot of energy out of me – I lost a lot of weight. It was hard to recover, and I think I did well.”

Hearing one or two rumours he's spat his dummy out about not starting. Probably bull s*** though based on his history of injuries.

Ryder (I know!) alluded to one or two not being happy missing out just the other day so maybe people reading into that.

Hearing one or two rumours he's spat his dummy out about not starting. Probably bull s*** though based on his history of injuries.

Ryder (I know!) alluded to one or two not being happy missing out just the other day so maybe people reading into that.

Why would anyone be happy to be on the bench? I'd expect and hope that players who are on the fringe the starting eleven to not be happy if they are on the bench.

Why would anyone be happy to be on the bench? I'd expect and hope that players who are on the fringe the starting eleven to not be happy if they are on the bench.

There's a difference between being unhappy being on the bench and being unprofessional and refusing to sit on it. The tone of the article seemed to suggest the later.