2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Germany win again

Guest ManDoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Argentina have looked worse than Brazil thus far.

tbh no sides looked particularly outstanding, Germany have maybe been the most consistent but they are hardly convincing, big weaknesses in all of them

Brazil, Germany and Netherlands have all shown flashes if good play. Argentina gave shown absolutely nothing other than Messi.

I grandly dislike criticism of this Brasil team based upon the fact that historical Brasil teams have been amazing and have played in a certain way.

Criticize them for being a bunch of uninteresting cheating kernts, don't criticize them because they're not as good as the greats. Ultimately they could end up winning just as much anyway.

I'll say it again - it's all set up for Messi to lead Argentina to glory. Everything is falling into place.

work sweepstake :dance:

Just watching the matches again, motd on bbc2, that 'challenge' on Hulk is fucking horrendous.

I think they have a huge amount of talent individually, but the sum is not nearly as great as the parts.  They have look panicked and clueless half the time, when I expect a bit more from them, because I have seen what they can do at club level.  I know it doesn't always translate, and the level of expectation may well be an albatross around their neck, but something just seems off with their play.  Not to mention the cynicism of this team. 

Makes it impossible to like them.  In fact, the only team in the knockout stages that I have liked less is Greece (Euro 2004 being one of the worst things to happen to football).

I just can't see them beating Germany without Neymar and Silva. Would it be viewed as a massive failure in Brazil if they got knocked out in the semis?

I grandly dislike criticism of this Brasil team based upon the fact that historical Brasil teams have been amazing and have played in a certain way.

Criticize them for being a bunch of uninteresting cheating kernts, don't criticize them because they're not as good as the greats. Ultimately they could end up winning just as much anyway.

Comparisons to past teams, particularly those that have branded a certain style, are natural in any sport. 

I just can't see them beating Germany without Neymar and Silva. Would it be viewed as a massive failure in Brazil if they got knocked out in the semis?

The expectation for them to win it on home turf can't be played down but it will be a massive ask for them to get the final without both of their talismans. The likes of Oscar, Paulinho, Willian and Fred really have to step up in a big way.

Comparisons to past teams, particularly those that have branded a certain style, are natural in any sport.

Comparisons are fine, but using it as a stick to beat the current team with isn't my cup of tea.

The expectation for them to win it on home turf can't be played down but it will be a massive ask for them to get the final without both of their talismans. The likes of Oscar, Paulinho, Willian and Fred really have to step up in a big way.

:thup:

Expectations are down, we're underdogs now and throughout the last two games whoever we play. I think pressure will be off and that with this injury the team will actually get better. It's Oscars time to shine just like he did in the U20s when Coutinho disappointed and he took over and scored a hattrick in the final. He has the talent to be the star of this team, and it's time he steps up in the absence of Neymar. As for Thiago Silva, it's never good to lose your captain and leader on the pitch who also happens to be the best central defender in the world. But if I could pick anyone to step up in his place it's Dante, he knows the German side and he knows how to handle pressure.

I'd add Hulk to that list but he's pretty much already performing at his optimum, such a frustrating footballer.

Hulk has had two decent games lately, just the finishing that is lacking. Feel sorry for him as he has been working hard, but he just doesn't seem able to beat the goalie. Hope he gets one of those long shots to go in at the Mineirao.

Neymar. :( That is devastating.

Didn't see the Brazil game this morning but the knockouts had be been predictably meh again, imo. Holland/Mexico has probably been the best game and that was only okay.

Just watched the game, Cuadrado is either as bad a footballer as I am or he's been bought (along with the ref, by Fernandinho). If only Columbia had a full 11 all game long instead of that sack of shit taking up a space.

RIP Neymar :(

I'll say it again - it's all set up for Messi to lead Argentina to glory. Everything is falling into place.

if holland win tonight and it comes down to 2 games i'd not bet against robben having a massive say in this world cup, he's a cheating diving cunt but he's also one of the most effective match winners left in the tournament....unlike messi no-one can touch him anywhere near the box and i think every defender knows it now

:thup:

Expectations are down, we're underdogs now and throughout the last two games whoever we play. I think pressure will be off and that with this injury the team will actually get better. It's Oscars time to shine just like he did in the U20s when Coutinho disappointed and he took over and scored a hattrick in the final. He has the talent to be the star of this team, and it's time he steps up in the absence of Neymar. As for Thiago Silva, it's never good to lose your captain and leader on the pitch who also happens to be the best central defender in the world. But if I could pick anyone to step up in his place it's Dante, he knows the German side and he knows how to handle pressure.

And if they do step up, then good on them.  They will have deserved it, because losing these two is a crushing blow.  Not to sound cliche but it really is a loss to the neutral that Neymar is out in such a way.  Gutted for him :(