2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Germany win again

Guest ManDoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

Anybody else sick of hearing the pundits saying they're shocked that Brazil aren't playing like Brazil? They haven't played that way since the 80s yet all of a sudden they should be able to go back to this mythical style of joga bonito.

Brazil carry an almost mythical aura about them which simply isn't justified really, not these days anyway. They are more European than South American and that's predominantly down to the vast majority of their players playing in Europe and the fact that how the game is played these days follows a standardized type pattern.

When Brazil "played like Brazil" the game wasn't quite as global as it is now. Their own unique way of playing, style and flair hadn't been cross-contaminated by other styles and ways of playing.

Brazil still produce and always will produce amazingly gifted players, but they will struggle to produce players as different and as unique as Pele, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zico, Ronaldino, Garrincha, Romario, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Falcao, Socrates et al because the game is too samey samey nowadays and more about tactics, systems and physical prowess'. That and Brazilian football culture at grassroots level has changed with the introduction of coaches, soccer academies etc.

I like Neymar and think he's a very good player, but I could name 10 or more better footballers in the game today. He's a top player, but compared to say the original Ronaldo or even Rivaldo, he just doesn't compare.

I also think a lot of the aura that surrounds Brazil is because when they were truly great you only ever saw their players and way of playing on TV during the World Cup. There was no internet back then. When Pele rocked up on TV it was  a case of wow. Same with how Brazil played. There was nothing to compare.

I'm sure there are old men in Brazil who have seen a very different Brazil and a very different Brazilian many a time to the kind of Brazilian side and player we have all been brought up on.

Having said all of that, they are still the most amazing story in world football and there is nothing quite like watching the Brazilians and their players play the beautiful game the way they do, even if it isn't like how they used to play the game.

This current Brazil side is average in the pantheon of great Brazil sides as are those who wear the shirt compared to former players, but they play with so much will and energy its still good to watch, Neymar a key example.

Lets not forget the weight of expectation and pressure on them, its huge. But here they are in the Semis and with a great chance of winning the World Cup.

I personally hope Holland do as their own football history deserves to be capped by such a magnificent achievement. If not them, Brazil all the way  :smitten:

Guest firetotheworks

After being spoilt by the group and round-of-16 matches, the QFs have been rather underwhelming so far.

You're right but it's still attack vs defence a lot of the time which is still entertaining by default.