Our Summer Transfer Business

Minhosa

Well Ashley clearly doesn't trust him over Carr when it comes to recruitment. That is more likely down to the money he saves buying abroad though.

We have had ample opportunity to shift Pardew, unless we are bottom three come October/November he will be here. Guess that can apply roughly to the whole season only bottom 6 would cost him his job imo.

Someone who's able to get a goal in two or bring other teammates into play. None of our current options are. You're seriously mental if you think Gouffran will get that or risk Cisse discovering his early form or for De Jong to excel as the main man.

First team with 31 players? You have those youngsters who we'll do a great good sending them on loan and you have those who've never even played a single first team game for us. Add in those exiles who will never play another game for us btw. Nobody said we have a razor-thin squad but there are still obvious deficiencies, especially another striker addition. And yes, we still need bodies considering the lack of depth in some areas.

I don't think it is mental to suggest that Gouffran may play more centrally this season (fingers crossed anyway) I also think De Jong will score and bring others into play if played as a second striker. Has done it for years at Ajax.

Sure, the number of 31 includes a few who probably won't get any first team football this season. That is consistent for other teams as well on that site (Arsenal number includes Miyaichi, Everton a player called Pennington)

In what position do we need a "body"?

If Gouffran was considered good enough to play centrally as a striker, why wasn't he used last season when Remy wasn't available? Pardew doesn't think he'll score goals, and on that I'm going to agree with him. It's bad luck for Gouffran that he wasn't given any opportunities last year to show what he could do, but that's when he should have been tried. This season we won't have Remy so we can't go into it crossing our fingers and hoping Gouffran will be hitting the net.

There is more than enough games in a season to give Gouffran some games up front. We still a quality striker because there's no reason to believe Gouffran or Cisse will score regularly enough, and Riviere is an unknown quantity.

I'd say so, although I think it says more about the current regime than me actually being pleased with our squad at the moment. If we signed another striker then I would be chuffed, a Centre back and i'd be over the moon. In reality a striker and centre back should be the minimum but not under Ashley unfortunately.

Guest Roger Kint

We're in trouble if we're relying on a CB pairing out of Colo, Williamson, MYM and Taylor.

FYP

We're in trouble if we're relying on a CB pairing out of Colo, Williamson, MYM and Taylor.

FYP

You think MYM is actually an option in Pardew's mind?

I don't hence the omitance.

Guest Roger Kint

FYP

I must live in Pardews mind as i swear i saw him play both games so far, as long as he is here then of course he will be.

FYP

I must live in Pardews mind as i swear i saw him play both games so far, as long as he is here then of course he will be.

:lol:

Doesnt seem certain to me that MYM is off like. He's been involved in both games and he actually made the plane, unlike others.

If we look like signing someone else, then I can see us cashing in, as he is the only saleable centre back we have.

Guest Roger Kint

Doesnt seem certain to me that MYM is off like. He's been involved in both games and he actually made the plane, unlike others.

If we look like signing someone else, then I can see us cashing in, as he is the only saleable centre back we have.

:thup: on first part. Its been obvious nobody is willing to pay the fee/wages for him though, cashing in wont happen until that changes so he will be involved.

It would not surprise me if our reluctance to dip into the TV money, is partially due to the fact that a significant proportion has been allocated to the new training ground development.

Or at least - I bet that we hear that excuse in the next few months.

Going into the season with Riviere and a broken (physically and mentally) Cisse will be an absolute travesty to be honest. Anyone saying otherwise needs to wake the fuck up. Before Remy we needed two strikers of good quality and what we've got is one unproven player with a poor record in France. It's begging for a relegation battle tbh.

I'd wish we'd have some foresight and sign another Ayoze type player, a striker who's done well in the Championship and maybe ready for step up + a new #1 Striker with the view that Cisse could eventually be offloaded (January). 

ST: New CF, Gouffran, Cisse, Riviere, Championship Step-Up Striker, Ayoze/Ayoze 2.0/Armstrong

There's a ton of fixtures, injuries, and out of position play to warrant the above. Reality we are this:

ST: Riviere, Cisse, Gouffran, Ayoze, Armstrong

Lack of depth up top is frightening.

Surprised we're not in for Jordan Ayew because of how cheap he is going for.

Is he the shitter of the two? Think we were linked to Andre a lot last year. He would be a better option but basically plays on the left where Cabella will occupy doesn't he?

In regards to being happy with the squad investment so far. Up to now happy still but will be gutted if we don't add another proven striker that can play wide right, and possible a deep lying playmaker. High quality Striker is a must though and we have the money to really go get one.

Quite honestly...Grenier, New #1 Striker and CB to remove Willo/Saylor would be the way to make most of us happy. Solves creativity, goals, and strength and physicality in the back.

Would be perfectly happy with a quality striker and a CB provided there are no major outgoings. Not getting me hopes up.

Me too.

With a good Tiote replacement lined up for next summer.