Our Summer Transfer Business

Minhosa

we're not getting a quality striker in like, better get used to it, maybe someone on loan but i'd say it's doubtful at this stage

think we'll be playing 1 striker most of the season with support from cabella and de jong, so there'll be one new guy backed up by cisse and gouffran imho

Think we will still get a proven striker in the ~10m range in addition to Riviere who could well be a wide option or a backup striker. While there are goals from Cabella and de Jong on paper, I doubt they would risk relying on one-goal-in-three-games players new to the league plus the current version Cisse to ensure our Premier League safety.

Think we will still get a proven striker in the ~10m range in addition to Riviere who could well be a wide option or a backup striker. While there are goals from Cabella and de Jong on paper, I doubt they would risk relying on one-goal-in-three-games players new to the league plus the current version Cisse to ensure our Premier League safety.

you're talking 16-17m outlay there man, when we've got cisse & gouffran on the books

seems very unlikely to me

Surely Riviere is the cheap alternative to Lacazette? are they not pretty similar? Can't see us getting both if so.

Still think we are hedging our bets on Remy, god knows why. Not really sure Riviere or Lacazette are solid enough to lead the line though. We desperately need someone that will get us 15-20 goals and is proven.

Darren Bent is on his way... Siem to the right wing, Bent #10 and a re-signed Shola up top.

you're talking 16-17m outlay there man, when we've got cisse & gouffran on the books

seems very unlikely to me

Doubt we would break our transfer record to get one in. Neither do I think we will risk our league survival on Cisse, Gouffran and potentially Riviere too. If we do, I will be seriously worried.

I'm concerned that after Janmaat and Riveiere that will be us done in this window

Foot will definately be off the gas imo... 

"well we were looking for a couple more but we think we have a good enough squad to see us through to January. This club wont be held for ransom and the market was hard due to the world cup."

No doubt we need an established striker though on top of Riviere. We also need a replacement for Mapou if he is off, likewise Hatem.

I'm concerned that after Janmaat and Riveiere that will be us done in this window

"well we were looking for a couple more but we think we have a good enough squad to see us through to January. This club wont be held for ransom and the market was hard due to the world cup."

No doubt we need an established striker though on top of Riviere. We also need a replacement for Mapou if he is off, likewise Hatem.

Hilarious thing is we won't have even spent the cabaye and debuchy money if that doesn't happen never mind the 2 lots of TV money.

Hilarious thing is we won't have even spent the cabaye and debuchy money if that doesn't happen never mind the 2 lots of TV money.

Only not so funny for those paying for the privilege of having to 'assume the position'.

I'd be very very surprised if we end up signing Riviere and a more proven striker.  I can't see Ashley agreeing to have Cisse, Riviere and Other Striker on our books if a) we have de Jong who I am sure they see as a potential striker in a crisis and b) we end up playing a 4-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 variant.

Would be delighted to be proved wrong.

We will still sell players IMO, so we need to keep buying.  If we got Janmaat, a good striker and a good centre back and didn't sell anyone else I'd be quite happy.  We could definitely do with adding two strikers though.

Happy with the window at the moment, five signed at its only 15 days into the window. Hopefully we will get another two or three more in. Also hoping we will sell one or two of the deadwood  also.

Happy with the window at the moment, five signed at its only 15 days into the window. Hopefully we will get another two or three more in. Also hoping we will sell one or two of the deadwood  also.

Obertan and Elliot aside I hope we keep everyone, we need the depth. We will still need another forward (assuming Riviere is as good as done), and we will need to replace anyone else who goes.

Things are a lot more positive than they were a week or even 2 weeks ago.

My concern is, if we get Janmaat and Riviere, that will be all the Debuchy and Cabaye money used up and we're still in need of a good quality centre forward, but we never spend more than we bring in.  If we sold Sissoko, Ben Arfa or MYM they would need to be replaced too.  I just don't see us spending the money required to get a decent centre forward.

Obertan and Elliot aside I hope we keep everyone, we need the depth. We will still need another forward (assuming Riviere is as good as done), and we will need to replace anyone else who goes.

Jonas Gutierrez also.

Guest Roger Kint

May be Jonas Gutierrez also.

Why would we keep a player we cant play?

the squad had the look of relegation certainties a week ago.

This completed business (along with the reported intent to add a few more faces) shows we are serious with our stated aim of finishing in the top 10 every year and getting all the players on the cheap from France and Holland.

I'm still looking forward to seeing new players though - signing exciting attackers hasnt happened much under Ashley.

Jonas, BenArfa, and Cisse are the only forward players I can think of whose arrival caused any excitement. Ba slipped under the radar a bit iirc. I suppose you could say Xisco. Loan deals for Remy and DeJong shouldn't count for a club our size.

It's really not been much to go on over the last 7 years.

Its all very well buying players 'on the cheap'(and 12m, if true, is hardly that although its peanuts compared to the fees Arsenal & Liverpool dish out), but there is NO way you can get a really decent striker on the cheap. Look at Cisse, we paid almost 10m for him and after his first season he has been a flop. If we were able to get Remy for any less than 12m AND avoid paying him 80,000 a week, we would have done as well as could be expected but I can't see it unless Remy has a change of heart or no luck with a CL club.

We have always paid top dollar for our best strikers(Andy Cole excepted and he was unproven in the PL at that time)....think Shearer and Supermac(180,000 was a record in the UK at that time and he was only 21) and you have to do that if you want the best. There is no cheap way to sign top quality goal-scorers unless you take a chance with their injury history as we did with Ba.

Even Lacazette would probably not be available under 12m, so it will be interesting to see who the club get...if anyone.