Emmanuel Rivière

LRD

If this goes through we are down to two senior strikers, not that this guy was someone we could rely on anyway. We need to buy, obviously, since we are effectively only 15 million in the hole this summer from all our deals, part of me thinks we are saving the bulk of our budget for a striker, wouldn't surprise me if we suddenly bid 20 million plus on a front man, if we sell Mitro we'll need at least two probably not both in that price bracket though.

Ideally I think Rafa's plan going into the summer was to run with Gayle as number one, replace Mitro with a better fit player on a permanent deal, and augment the group with a loan (Abraham). I don't know how much he planned on spending up front, but he would have been aware that it is usually a position you pay a premium for. Right now, if three is the magic number for senior strikers, he's got just one that fits his scheme, and that one is coming back of an injury plagued season.

Getting rid of Riviere is a huge part of what he needs to do. Probably the same can be said of either or both of Diame and De Jong at the number 10 position, and why we haven't seen much movement on either roles. We have the numbers just not the quality.

If this goes through we are down to two senior strikers, not that this guy was someone we could rely on anyway. We need to buy, obviously, since we are effectively only 15 million in the hole this summer from all our deals, part of me thinks we are saving the bulk of our budget for a striker, wouldn't surprise me if we suddenly bid 20 million plus on a front man, if we sell Mitro we'll need at least two probably not both in that price bracket though.

Ideally I think Rafa's plan going into the summer was to run with Gayle as number one, replace Mitro with a better fit player on a permanent deal, and augment the group with a loan (Abraham). I don't know how much he planned on spending up front, but he would have been aware that it is usually a position you pay a premium for. Right now, if three is the magic number for senior strikers, he's got just one that fits his scheme, and that one is coming back of an injury plagued season.

Getting rid of Riviere is a huge part of what he needs to do. Probably the same can be said of either or both of Diame and De Jong at the number 10 position, and why we haven't seen much movement on either roles. We have the numbers just not the quality.

Agree. A striker has to be the number one priority now, and we should be prepared to spend the majority of our budget on one if that's what it takes.

Carr should have been sacked for this signing alone. Imagine headhunting this guy as a solution to your goalscoring problems.

Or was he bought by us as a favour for agents?

Remember KK being peeved at that just before he left.

Guest firetotheworks

Lads, someone paid us for Alan Pardew.  That there shows that anything is possible.

3146.jpg&w=638

The man is an angel without wings.

Agree. A striker has to be the number one priority now, and we should be prepared to spend the majority of our budget on one if that's what it takes.

What we really need is a good quality player who can play up front or as a number 10, and then a young striker for further competition/rotation. Gayle has earned his chance this season, and last season demonstrated how rubbish Diame is as a number 10. Get someone for the hole who can also play up front and we get a good quality starter as well as backup for Gayle encase he gets injured. I seriously doubt we could afford a player of the required quality for both positions.

... although thinking about it, since we're still being linked to defensive midfielders maybe rafa's planning to go 41221 next season away from home and against the big teams.