Emmanuel Rivière

LRD

Should have just paid the extra couple of millions for Lacazette rather than go for option b z

We paid Monaco £1.8m for his services. £3.8m would not have got us Lacazette.

Thought we paid £6m+ for him? Lacazette was around £11m at the time.

Should have just paid the extra couple of millions for Lacazette rather than go for option b z

From what I remember we were a few million apart in our valuation with Lyon's while negotiating for Lacazette's services (who may or may not have been interested) and decided to go for Riviere as a cheaper alternative in the end to plug the striker hole. Two years later, Lacazette is worth at least double what Lyon wanted, we are in the Championship and Riviere is out on loan to Osasuna. I was just contemplating what might have been if we hadn't penny pinched.

No, we paid £1.8m and Ashley did the usual thing of 'I'm spending the TV money, honest' by factoring in the player's wages.

Cabella only cost us £5.2m also.

Got this on very good authority from someone at France Football when we signed them, and posted it at the time.

No, we paid £1.8m and Ashley did the usual thing of 'I'm spending the TV money, honest' by factoring in the player's wages.

Got this on very good authority from someone at France Football when we signed them, and posted it at the time.

:thup:

From what I remember we were a few million apart in our valuation with Lyon's while negotiating for Lacazette's services (who may or may not have been interested) and decided to go for Riviere as a cheaper alternative in the end to plug the striker hole. Two years later, Lacazette is worth at least double what Lyon wanted, we are in the Championship and Riviere is out on loan to Osasuna. I was just contemplating what might have been if we hadn't penny pinched.

Well, we didn't quite 'penny pinch' as the difference in price was £10m and the difference in wages would have been significant (Riviere is 'only' on £22.5k/wk @ SJP) but obviously, yes, I agree who we should have bought but the song remains the same as long as that fat c*** remains at the club. Rafa's tuning up, though.

Guest neesy111

That Cabella figure is wrong.

What was it then?  Elaborate....

Sorry to report that it's entirely correct. Double sourced, in fact.

Riviere gets a million quid a year.  There's something deeply wrong with that.

One example from thousands.

Most people know the story of Seth Johnson and Leeds United when that lunatic Peter 'we lived the dream' Ridsdale was chairman. Story goes - and I've heard it first hand from when I used to pal about with Ian Harte when working in Leeds - thus (and remember, this was 15 years ago): Johnson's at Derby, LUFC want him, agree fee with DCFC so Johnson and agent head for Elland Road looking for personal terms.

Johnson was on £5k/wk at DCFC and as they're going up to the stadium, he's asking his agent what he reckons he can get him weekly. Agent replies: 'I reckon they'll go to £20k'. Johnson, delighted, replies: 'seriously? a million quid a year?' Agent says he'll do his best as it's in both their interests.

So the two of them are shown into Ridsdale's office and before either Johnson and his agent have even said 'good morning', the man himself stands up and slaps his palms hard on his big, oak desk and says to the two of them: 'Right, if you think we're paying more than £35k a week you can just turn around and go back the way you came'...

Ridsdale's PA caught Johnson and agent pissing themselves laughing as they left the stadium. And smiled wearily at them.

Most people know the story of Seth Johnson and Leeds United when that lunatic Peter 'we lived the dream' Ridsdale was chairman. Story goes - and I've heard it first hand from when I used to pal about with Ian Harte when working in Leeds - thus (and remember, this was 15 years ago): Johnson's at Derby, LUFC want him, agree fee with DCFC so Johnson and agent head for Elland Road looking for personal terms.

Johnson was on £5k/wk at DCFC and as they're going up to the stadium, he's asking his agent what he reckons he can get him weekly. Agent replies: 'I reckon they'll go to £20k'. Johnson, delighted, replies: 'seriously? a million quid a year?' Agent says he'll do his best as it's in both their interests.

So the two of them are shown into Ridsdale's office and before either Johnson and his agent have even said 'good morning', the man himself stands up and slaps his palms hard on his big, oak desk and says to the two of them: 'Right, if you think we're paying more than £35k a week you can just turn around and go back the way you came'...

Ridsdale's PA caught Johnson and agent pissing themselves laughing as they left the stadium. And smiled wearily at them.

I heard it was something along the lines that Risdale offered £35k, much to the surprise of Johnson and his agent, but their reply was something like... "we were thinking of something around £37k actually...".

And the deal was done.

I heard it was something along the lines that Risdale offered £35k, much to the surprise of Johnson and his agent, but their reply was something like... "we were thinking of something around £37k actually...".

And the deal was done.

I think he ended up with £36k. I wonder who taught Ridsdale to play cards?

• 9 months later...