John Alder & Liam Sweeney - Memorial Garden unveiled at SJP reception

bowlingcrofty

Horrible, horrible for everyone onboard, I wonder if some of the others were West Ham fans?

Rest in peace to all on the flight.

I would say its unlikely, mainly because flights from Heathrow fly direct to KL/Dubai/Singapore. The only airline that fly's direct from Newcastle is Emirates and it is far more expensive. Thats why people fly from Amsterdam.

Horrible, horrible for everyone onboard, I wonder if some of the others were West Ham fans?

I would say its unlikely, mainly because flights from Heathrow fly direct to KL/Dubai/Singapore. The only airline that fly's direct from Newcastle is Emirates and it is far more expensive. Thats why people fly from Amsterdam.

Just what I was thinking really, but there is always a chance. Seems strange to Amsterdam, to take a long flight from there to only have to change again.

Just what I was thinking really, but there is always a chance. Seems strange to Amsterdam, to take a long flight from there to only have to change again.

KLM fly to most of the world via Amsterdam from near every airport of note in the UK for cheaper than a lot of the Asian flyers. Malaysian Airlines codeshare with KLM.

Not that is relevant at all.

I travelled this route from Amsterdam to KL, KL to Perth at the same time last year. Mainly because it was $400 cheaper than flying Emirates from Manchester/Newcastle.

Guest Geordiesned

Terrible news. Knew both these lads by sight at away matches particularly "The Undertaker". Not sure when he last missed a match and know he's been to over 200 grounds watching us.

MH 17 has been a tragedy which will have profound effects on the world and on air travel in particular.

We travelled via Malaysia Airlines to & from the UK earlier this year(April - June) as we have done in most of the 10 years we have lived in Oz - they are a really decent airline and don't deserve what has befallen them but our first thoughts must be with all the innocent passengers and those 2 lads probably going on the holiday of a lifetime.

I did have concerns about flying over Ukraine but things have worsened considerably since then and I wouldn't risk it now if I knew an airline intended to use it as part of a journey.

Very, very sorry to hear about all this - may they all RIP.

Guest Geordiesned

Mods, can I suggest that a new thread is made for the New Zealand tour and this thread is kept for people to pay their condolences?

Guest firetotheworks

If anything it makes you realise that things like this should be taken more seriously when there's no personal connection. I can't honestly say that that will happen though. The whole thing is just utterly barbaric but at the same time it's happened, the horrifying aspect of it is just that, but they've gone through it and it's probably best that they have no memory of it. I know that's probably a weird way to look at it. :(

Mods, can I suggest that a new thread is made for the New Zealand tour and this thread is kept for people to pay their condolences?

I'll rename this thread. Would be good if a mod could remove unrelated posts.

:thup:

Anyone know much about the two lads?

So sad.

John was arguably the most loyal fan Newcastle United has ever had.

My ST is quite close to his and I can't recall attending any Newcastle United game, home or away, first team, reserve or junior when he wasn't there. He never missed a game anywhere.

It's tragic, heartbreaking, shocking. I'm totally numb at hearing this.

Anyone know much about the two lads?

So sad.

John was arguably the most loyal fan Newcastle United has ever had.

My ST is quite close to his and I can't recall attending any Newcastle United game, home or away, first team, reserve or junior when he wasn't there. He never missed a game anywhere.

It's tragic, heartbreaking, shocking. I'm totally numb at hearing this.

Hopefully the club will 'retire' their season ticket seats at SJP.

If anything it makes you realise that things like this should be taken more seriously when there's no personal connection. I can't honestly say that that will happen though. The whole thing is just utterly barbaric but at the same time it's happened, the horrifying aspect of it is just that, but they've gone through it and it's probably best that they have no memory of it. I know that's probably a weird way to look at it. :(

As harsh as it sounds it just doesn't happen and I don't think it will on a large scale. Things have happened to me before where if you tell someone it could happen to them or someone they know very well then they will just accept it and generally say 'ok'. It's not until it hits you close when you fully fell the effects of it. The closer it is to someone then the more they take note, just like today, yesterday people would have been discussing the plane but never fully felt what happened, now people are starting to feel what happened more because two people who support the same club as us and are probably form the same area we are from and who we can relate too more are the victims.