Rolando Aarons

Chapo

After bagging his first goal of the campaign in the 5-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, Rolando Aarons says the end of the season couldn't have come at a worse time for him.

The 20-year-old winger came on for Georginio Wijnaldum with just under quarter of an hour left at St. James' Park, and he immediately made his presence felt.

Aarons lashed in the Magpies' fourth goal of the afternoon in front of the Gallowgate End before breaking away and laying on the fifth for full back Daryl Janmaat.

And the England under-21 international is ruing the end of the campaign coming just as he is getting into his stride under manager Rafa Benitez.

"I've found it very tough to get opportunities, and obviously I've waited until the last game of the season, but I love playing for Newcastle. I love scoring goals. It's what I love doing," Aarons told nufc.co.uk.

"I'm gutted now the season's finished, but I can't wait to start playing football regularly.

"I've been waiting for my opportunity to come on and show what I can do, but I haven't really got the opportunity in that position this season through injuries. I'm happy to score and assist, because that's what I love doing. I love playing further forward."

Sunday's victory over Mauricio Pochettino's side extended United's unbeaten run to six games.

Benitez's men repeatedly carved open a Spurs outfit who, before Sunday, boasted the best defensive record in the top flight.

And Aarons believes that Newcastle showed just what they are capable of at the weekend, and insists that they stand a good chance of bouncing straight back up.

"Especially in the situation, we needed to end well, and I think everyone's really given it a go (on Sunday). We showed why maybe we could bounce straight back next year, and hopefully we do," he said.

"I think we've been very unlucky to get relegated - I think we just came into form at the wrong time in the season. Obviously, it hasn't been enough for us. I think we'll bounce straight back next season - you can see from performances like Sunday that we're a good team.

"Players like Andros, Gini and Mitro - the front three that started (against Tottenham) - you can see the quality that they bring the team, and hopefully they stick around next season to get us back up."

Sounds like he wants to stay. The Rafa magic is starting to take effect.

After the clash with Spurs, Aarons was asked about his future and he told the Chronicle: “Yeah, I love Newcastle. You can tell by my celebration how much it means to me.

“I want to stay here. I’m not focused on contracts I just want to play games and score goals, that’s all that matters to me.

“Next season there will be more games so there’s more opportunities. I am looking to take them more than I did last season.”

So far Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ayoze Perez and the father of Andros Townsend have spoken positively when asked about staying on next season. Benitez has also spoken about keeping the majority of the current squad at St James’ Park.

Aarons said: “Everybody wants to be here. You could tell against Spurs that nobody was thinking about the summer.

“We want to put performances in for the fans. Everybody is up for it here.”

Is it right to be optimistic at a) some of our brighter talents staying and b) the positive attitude they're seemingly displaying? The only thing stopping me from actually looking forward to next season is that we support Newcastle United Football Club.

Relegation could be good for the likes of Aarons, Perez and Mitro if they stick around and play a lot. Obviously especially under Rafa.

Definitely. I think they could all stay, especially if Rafa stays on.

I do hope Mitro is in his plans though, I just couldn't understand Cisse playing ahead of him at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the only thing that's ever been in doubt with this lad is his fitness and attitude right?  he's got everything else he needs to be a top class player

hoping for a good year under Rafa, buys into the project, extends contract and rips the PL a new one the following season

From what I've seen he has determination, pace, changes direction at speed whilst maintaining control, excellent technical ability, a bit of bite/aggression, and a trick in him/with the self-belief to keeping trying irrespective of how his early duels work out. From what I have heard from him, he has a strong drive to win/succeed and although he seems to have 'a harsh internal critic' many players seem to use this to push themselves to an excellent, rather than good enough, performance level.

Really hope he's not let down by his musculoskeletal system (for want of a better phrase) and his tendons, muscles, & joints support him to fulfill what looks like fantastic potential. With him marauding down the left and Janmaat on the right (winger or wing-back) Mitro or Gayle could be receiving a lot of juicy balls (ahem) across the box to feed on (just had a seriously off putting image...). If Ritchie is favoured right-sided midfielder then given he is a left footer, Janmmaat would be good overlapping option.

when he broke through i thought i recalled something about him being one of these who doesn't actually care about or particularly like football, he could have taken up another sport professionally as well i think but chose football for the money

might have imagined all that mind :lol:

I am convinced (for the second preseason in a row...) that this the year for Aarons. Future full international in the making. It's Rolando time!

Agreed. And thankfully, it looks like he is at the forefront of Rafas plans. Hoping for big things.

when he broke through i thought i recalled something about him being one of these who doesn't actually care about or particularly like football, he could have taken up another sport professionally as well i think but chose football for the money

It wasn't your imagination, and it was something along those lines.

(Might have had a change of heart/opinion since then though).

Guest chopey

I wonder how far we are off players refusing international call ups because they would rather have a summer holiday ?

It wasn't your imagination, and it was something along those lines.

(Might have had a change of heart/opinion since then though).

Was it not just him changing teams because he lost a bet

Local papers saying that Rafa wants to have Ritchie on one wing and Knockaert on the other.

Makes you wonder where Rolando fits into his plans or whether he's going to have to make do with the bench.

We're going to play around 50 games this season. Think it will be enough game time for all of them.

Yeah having more than 2 wingers at the club would be a good idea.

Aarons looks on form though in pre-season clips so hope he gets the games and a new contract. On the flip side he tends to get an injury that keeps him out a while so sensible to have another option