Starting XI

Beren

We need another player like HBA/Cabella as well imo.

If Ben Arfa wasn't out of contention I'd be quite happy with Hatem and Cabella as first choice and Sissoko, Aarons and Sammy as back up, but without Hatem we really need another winger.

There's some interesting decisions for Pardew, we do actually have options. I've no idea right now which way he will go, but I think you can say the following are certain to play if fit:

Krul

Janmaat

Colo

Tiote

Sissoko

De Jong

Cabella

The big decision is does he go 4231 or 442, if he goes 442 can De Jong play in that system ? That's why he'll probably go 4231, with one of Rivere or Chucky missing out.

Some competition really is:

LB - Haidara or Dummett, I know which one most of us would go with but Pardew is likely to farvour the other.

CB - Taylor/MYM/Wilo, Taylor and MYM have done themselves no favours whatsover at this tournament, so easy decision for Pardew to go with Wilo, unless we can sign someone but I doubt they are looking.

DM - Colback/Abeid/Anita, this one shouldn't be much of a competition, but it's pardew we are talking about, Colback will beat Anita.

So I predict he'll go with:

Krul

Janmaat      Colo    Wilo    Dummett

Tiote  Colback

Sissoko                              Cabella

De Jong

Rivere (Unless Chucky tears it up in the remainder of the preseason games) 

Now he may want Gouf in the team, to accommodate him he could switch drop Colback and switch Sissoko back in his more natural position of CM.

If you look at our squad it's pretty strong in the midfield and even the forwards are looking way better, what we are lacking is quality at the back. I doubt they will address that this summer though, along with our incompetent numpty in charge of team affairs, that's why we will struggle to get higher than the place we finished last year.

Guest firetotheworks

It goes without saying that we need a quality striker and centre back, but there's still a Cabaye-shaped hole missing in the team.

We should be looking to get this in order:

Krul

Janmaat Coloccini/Yanga NEW Haïdara

Anita/Sissoko Tioté

Cabella De Jong Ben Arfa

NEW

I'm guessing Pardew will go with this quite a lot:

Krul

Janmaat Williamson Coloccini Santon

Sissoko Tioté Colback Cabella

De Jong

Riviére

I think Pardew's 'shape' has for a long time been better described as 4 3 2 1, rather than a 4 2 3 1.  The role Jonas played, until Gouffran took it over, may have had nominal attacking responsibilities, but was and is more about allowing fullbacks to overlap.

In short, most of the line-ups above have one more forward than we will end up playing with, and one less covering-midfielder-shown-in-a-wide-position-on-the-sky-graphics-but-who-actually-sits-in-when-we-break.  Three attackers behind a striker?  Not likely, IMO.

This is why I agree with those who think Colback will play most weeks when fit, I think it suits his game to a tee.  It doesnt get the heart racing but going on what Pardew has served up before it's what I think we'll get.

Krul

Janmaat Colo Willo Haidara

Anita/Sissoko Tiote Colback

Cabella De Jong

Riviere

We haven't signed players to suit a particular style or system because our transfer policy doesn't cater for that sort of planning. So we'll end up with some bastardised 4-2-3-1 that'll probably meld into a 4-4-2 with no natural wingers.

But:

Krul

Janmaat - Willo - MYM - Haidara

Tiote - Sissoko

HBA - De Jong - Cabella

Riviere

We haven't signed players to suit a particular style or system because our transfer policy doesn't cater for that sort of planning. So we'll end up with some bastardised 4-2-3-1 that'll probably meld into a 4-4-2 with no natural wingers.

But:

Krul

Tiote - Sissoko

HBA - De Jong - Cabella

Riviere

I'd agree with this, although i'd change Tiote for Anita personally. Maybe Santon for Haidara too.

Krul

Janmaat Yanga-Mbiwa Williamson Haidara

Tiote

Sissoko        De Jong

Ben Arfa                                      Cabella

Riviere

Agree with this. De Jong getting forward a lot. If no HBA as expected i suppose Gouffran is decent and can pop up and score goals as well as track back well ….or much more of a gamble but IF Cabella can play on the right we could  throw the dice and play Aarons left. Woulden't be surprised or hugely disappointed to see Sissoko on the right with Colback central.

We need a pacey right winger if HBA is finished here.

I don't think it's as clear cut that Colback starts ahead of Anita.

He will, pre season has shown all you need to know. Colback has played CM practically every game and Anita has been shunted to fullback.

I don't agree with it at all but it's happening.

I don't think it's as clear cut that Colback starts ahead of Anita.

He will, pre season has shown all you need to know. Colback has played CM practically every game and Anita has been shunted to fullback.

I don't agree with it at all but it's happening.

I think Anita will start a right back against Man City.

Krul

Anita      Williamson    Coloccini      Dummett

Sissoko    Colback        Tiote          Gouffran

de Jong

Riviere

But:

Krul

Tiote - Sissoko

HBA - De Jong - Cabella

Riviere

I'd agree with this, although i'd change Tiote for Anita personally. Maybe Santon for Haidara too.

Abeid has played central midfield almost every game too tbf, bet he's not starting. We don't have a natural right-back without Janmaat so him & Mbiwa have been there.

No he hasn't and even when he has unlike Colback he's not started every damn game except for the Sheffield Wednesday one like Colback has.

All the evidence suggests he's starting.

Pardew whinged for ages about needing more domestic players, now that he has one I doubt he'll leave him out.

This. English grit in the midfield and all that. Reckon JC will probably play 30 games depending on injuries and suspensions (if he ever puts a tackle in)

Krul                   

Williamson          Coloccini

Janmaat                                              Haidara

Tiote            Colback

Sissoko                                                Cabella

de Jong

Riviere

Krul                   

Tiote            Colback

de Jong

Riviere

That's the nailed on lineup for me, barring injuries.

Krul                   

Tiote            Colback

de Jong

Riviere

That's the nailed on lineup for me, barring injuries.

He fucking loves Dummett though.