Newcastle United 0 - 2 Man City - 17/08/14 - Post-match reaction from page 34

BlueStar

It was noticeable there was no booing of the team at the end... Even from the more fickle areas of the ground...

No one's going to boo on the first day of the season.

It was noticeable there was no booing of the team at the end... Even from the more fickle areas of the ground...

Fairly sure there were boos after we lost 1-0 to Spurs 10 years ago.

Like the Dalglish booing I think that was because everyone was fed up with going nowhere, and maybe we hadn't invested in the squad. With quite a few signings this time round I get the feeling fans will be more optimistic and so Pardew's getting a fresh start effectively. Three or four poor performances on the bounce and that will soon change.

Dalglish had just spent almost 18m that pre-season.

I wasn't sure, that's why I said maybe. The fans never took to Dalglish, after Keegan it was 180 degree turn in a boring direction. Plus as Wullie said earlier, the fans back then had much higher expectations. We are quite prepared to put up with a poor standard of football now, and most fans are happy to finish in the top half of the table and call it success.

Guest Dontooner

so jealous when i saw Swansea have 5 men in uniteds box for both their goals....they must be mad though!!!

Think we had 3 at one time during our 90 mintues :knuppel2:

Surely the other two players which accidentally got into the box will get dropped the next game. Pardew has strong principles and beliefs when it comes to football.

Fairly sure there were boos after we lost 1-0 to Spurs 10 years ago.

Like the Dalglish booing I think that was because everyone was fed up with going nowhere, and maybe we hadn't invested in the squad. With quite a few signings this time round I get the feeling fans will be more optimistic and so Pardew's getting a fresh start effectively. Three or four poor performances on the bounce and that will soon change.

Dalglish had just spent almost 18m that pre-season.

Dalglish was popular with the players but very unpopular with the media, unlike Pardew who the media fall over backwards for...some of Dalglish's signings(Nobby, Given, Hamman )were excellent and they WERE his signings then, not ones the manager had little choice in. Dalglish got a poor press and his cautious approach was compared badly with KKs by fans. He was sacked after we drew at Chelsea in the first game and with Charlton at SJP in the second...hardly a disastrous start but these days losing to Man C at home is apparently a 'good' result because it was by less than 3...

I don't think anybody has said it's a good result.  It was an encouraging performance and I think we were unlucky to lose.  The football landscape has changed immeasurably since Dalglish's time here though.

Forgot to mention it but nice of the club to make that matchday experience that little bit worse by deafening you to death and preventing conversation at half time with the new soundsystem.

I don't think anybody has said it's a good result.  It was an encouraging performance and I think we were unlucky to lose.  The football landscape has changed immeasurably since Dalglish's time here though.

That's not the change that should be equated to our situation, it's the constant expectation dampening and turning the majority of our fans into situation appologists (we can't compete, sovereign states, Leeds, etc...)

The Toon Army of 10 years ago would be burning Pardew/Ashley effegies in the stands. It's not just the club that's a shadow of its former self.

Forgot to mention it but nice of the club to make that matchday experience that little bit worse by deafening you to death and preventing conversation at half time with the new soundsystem.

Thought it was already borderline last season. Great.

Plus sitting through the Happy Birthdays the whole time is quite a horrific experience too.

We failed to remotely trouble their keeper. Under no circumstances does that merit a point when you've conceded 2 goals.

:thup:

The general play was alright I suppose but if you can't create then you deserve what you get when the other team punishes you.

We failed to remotely trouble their keeper. Under no circumstances does that merit a point when you've conceded 2 goals.

:thup:

The general play was alright I suppose but if you can't create then you deserve what you get when the other team punishes you.

I'm very much of this school of thought. The only time you can deserve a point is if the ref drops a bollock resulting in a goal.