Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Will give Pardew massive credit today, those changes at HT completely unexpected and worked brilliant.

he panicked as we were totally under the cosh and threw on players he doesn't trust.

Anyone else get the impression he had given up on the game and was trying to throw 2 flair players under the bus?? Had spurs gone on to win by 2 or 3, he would have blamed it on those 2 a la Ben arfa vs spurs, Everton, man utd last season. Would have been used to justify his signature negative mindset through to January.

Here is the bad news, if you assume that the club give Pardew a blank slate at the start if every season, the last few games have added a completely different slant to it all. I could see the following being the clubs thoughts:

Only three defeats - one against the league winners, at Southampton whom have traditionally thrashed northern teams at home (even Man U), and a Monday night in Stoke.

Three home draws we should expect to win, although against Villa it was our first home match and it isn't unusual for any club to have a goalless draw at the start of the season. Palace, we were unlucky to concede in the last minute. Hull, the club did well to come back from 2 down amidst all the adversity.

Drawing with Swansea away could in isolation be seen as a good result. And then we have two wins.

So although I completely disagree with the above perception, I'm sure the club board could argue that form is average and improving, and our biggest issue was failure to turn draws at home to wins so far, which isn't a huge crime after just a few games.

Pardew is going nowhere, unless he does or says something stupid.

:(

I  think Pardew has been in charge now for 701 games.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/premier-league/9536084/massive-result-for-newcastle

Thats a lot.

Over 4 years. Seven Fucking Hundred and one.

The Geordie Nation have yet to be convinced apparently.

:dog:

Is that not his total management record.  38 matches + the odd cup game over four years is under 200 matches here.  Not like Pardle to misrepresent his record though, as it's only been four bad games in an otherwise glory filled run.

I think it's very telling that despite Pardew claiming the credit for the victory with his half time changes it was actually Sammy who told Colback to pass the ball straight into the corner from kick off.

Some credit to Pardew for actually making a positive, attacking change but he's not going to learn from it is he. All he'll take from it is that he is a tactical genius and that any changes he makes will work, even if it's a left back for a left back or telling attacking players to 'be more conservative'.

Here is the bad news, if you assume that the club give Pardew a blank slate at the start if every season, the last few games have added a completely different slant to it all. I could see the following being the clubs thoughts:

Only three defeats - one against the league winners, at Southampton whom have traditionally thrashed northern teams at home (even Man U), and a Monday night in Stoke.

Three home draws we should expect to win, although against Villa it was our first home match and it isn't unusual for any club to have a goalless draw at the start of the season. Palace, we were unlucky to concede in the last minute. Hull, the club did well to come back from 2 down amidst all the adversity.

Drawing with Swansea away could in isolation be seen as a good result. And then we have two wins.

So although I completely disagree with the above perception, I'm sure the club board could argue that form is average and improving, and our biggest issue was failure to turn draws at home to wins so far, which isn't a huge crime after just a few games.

What,like nut an opposition player? The blokes going neewhere,can actually see him seeing out his contract.

What,like nut an opposition player?

More likely he says something Ashley doesn't like.

E.g he might say: "I thought in the summer we woz distracted by Rangers". That is the sort of thing we need!

Guest neesy111

Think the changes at HT helped to lift the players on the pitch, this team is very Jekyll and Hyde, 1st half looked like they couldn't give a toss and then 2nd looked totally committed.

Villa was away.

These 7 points from the last 3 games have bought him the rest of the season I reckon.

We should be able to pick up enough points from the shite teams around us to hover around 12th-17th which is pretty much Fat Mike's wet dream.  :(

Good job Sherlock!  O0

I enjoyed this match which surprised me. Maybe i have accepted the defeat (Ashley and Pardew won't leave) and i ain´t proud....just can´t stay away!

I do care even though it isn´t the same, but i rather see this fighting spirit than us being a joke week in week out without addressing the problem.

We actually came from 1 down and won....its mad!

These 7 points from the last 3 games have bought him the rest of the season I reckon.

We should be able to pick up enough points from the shite teams around us to hover around 12th-17th which is pretty much Fat Mike's wet dream.  :(

let's not get ahead of ourselves, he's still a shite manager and is ultimately relying on someone digging him out on a game by game basis which never lasts...10 games to the halfway point and we play everton, arsenal, manyoo, liverpool, west ham (flying), chelsea and the mackems

he may have turned a corner, it's very hard to say right now but we've really still only put in one good half of football all season haven't we?

It's not hard to say, he hasn't turned a corner.

i meant in terms of this season and a relegation fight

personally think we're more likely to see more performances like the 1st half yesterday than the 2nd

As far as I can tell it changes nothing. We already knew that given the perfect conditions the team will bail him out once in a while. It's 3 unexpected points but in the grand scheme of things it's not much.

personally think we're more likely to see more performances like the 1st half yesterday than the 2nd

As far as I can tell it changes nothing. We already knew that given the perfect conditions the team will bail him out once in a while. It's 3 unexpected points but in the grand scheme of things it's not much.

we'll see next game against 2 more of the untouchables....i fully expect him to start with similar shite lineups to how he started yesterday then throw people on if he needs to as he'll probably he's unstoppable now with his subs

don't take "turned a corner" the wrong way, we all know this prick will never really change his ways i was responding to someone saying we'll just pickup points off the shite teams, which i don't agree with

With the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, ManU, Tottenham, Everton having worse starts than us (relatively speaking), he is going no where.

May as well lock this thread and open it in 3 years time! Its only clogged up with his bullshit quotes etc.

Will take a seriously bad position in December/Jan for him to be in any danger and the last two results combined with the rest of the league being shite this season, has without doubt given this smarmy bastard at least the season and some of next (assuming we stay up).

Depressing but as that is how it is, I guess one has two choices - support the team and try and enjoy the football or get on his case (which will not happen with the majority) every game and make it as uncomfortable as possible for him.

we'll see next game against 2 more of the untouchables....i fully expect him to start with similar shite lineups to how he started yesterday then throw people on if he needs to as he'll probably he's unstoppable now with his subs

don't take "turned a corner" the wrong way, we all know this prick will never really change his ways i was responding to someone saying we'll just pickup points off the shite teams, which i don't agree with

Yeah, I don't agree either.

I don't think we've turned a corner or even that Pardew has done anything particularly good, but confidence is absolutely massive in football. If you can get a bit of momentum behind you it can take you to results despite everything else.

I'm not expecting our tactics to improve, or Pardew to suddenly pick the players I want, but I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up another couple of decent results.

I genuinely believe that removing Williamson from the first team has been as big a contributing factor to the turnaround as anything else.

The guy is so awful that it must have an impact on the confidence of the players. His constant hoofing of the ball, surrendering posession to our opponents, the awful set piece routine we use every time he's on the pitch, his complete inability to defend etc.  The longer he is out of the first 11, the better chance we have of keeping this run going. 

Fist pumps is no Tony Adams but he's twice the player Williamson is.

It's worth dropping Willo just to avoid the f***ing set piece routine. In fact it's worth killing him.

Agreed. It's completely counter-productive having him on the pitch.

We actually tried something different from a free kick in the first half yesterday - dinked ball to Colo down the right - it didn't come off but it was good to see the players trying something different.  Probably got a bollocking from The King at half-time mind.

Pardew is all about team spirit, confidence, hard work. I knew it before but it all clicked when someone posted up those comments from Wham sound man or whatever. He doesn't have the ability to turn games/situations with footballing intellect. Get a small group of players, get the team spirit right, pace - power and hard work with the right mental state will give most teams a decent season - throw in some quality and you are laughing.

It's why he's such a "streaky" manager. When things are going well he won't over complicate things like Benitez might. Just keeps it going. But he's unable to dig himself out of a rut because in bad form morale is gone, spirit is lacking, you can't make the right runs, you feel tired - he has nothing clever in his management to unlock something. It's why he has 1 good season then a bad one, or 1 good half then 1 terrible half.

The fact that the players probably realise he's not going anywhere any time soon has meant they've had to dig deep and improve. So have results.