Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Guest firetotheworks

:lol: at Cronky being the one telling everybody to start living in the real world.

This despite his backing of a manager that wanks over stats rather than using their gut.

:lol: at Cronky being the one telling everybody to start living in the real world.

This despite his backing of a manager that wanks over stats rather than using their gut.

No chance of getting it in your belly button if you use stats.

Bringing a game into it undermines a perfectly reasonable viewpoint - that there's no reason why being a player gives anybody an advantage as a manager over Joe Bloggs who decides to do a coaching course, beyond a) the intricacies of how football operates off the pitch and b) possible issues with respect from the players at first. These two things are much the same as anyone starting a new job doing something they've not done before, and aren't permanent.

Bringing a game into it undermines a perfectly reasonable viewpoint - that there's no reason why being a player gives anybody an advantage as a manager over Joe Bloggs who decides to do a coaching course, beyond a) the intricacies of how football operates off the pitch and b) possible issues with respect from the players at first. These two things are much the same as anyone starting a new job doing something they've not done before, and aren't permanent.

I would say someone who has been involved with the game as a player for instance woudl have or could have worked with a number of managers and coaches over the length of their career where they coul dhave picked up some great experience.

But they would have to have the personality, people skills and respect to use those experiences and ideas they have grown over the course of their career.

People coming into the game such as Jose and doing a fantasic job is very rare.

Dont rule out the experices a player might pick up over the course of a 15 year career. 

Bringing a game into it undermines a perfectly reasonable viewpoint - that there's no reason why being a player gives anybody an advantage as a manager over Joe Bloggs who decides to do a coaching course, beyond a) the intricacies of how football operates off the pitch and b) possible issues with respect from the players at first. These two things are much the same as anyone starting a new job doing something they've not done before, and aren't permanent.

People coming into the game such as Jose and doing a fantasic job is very rare.

As a proportion, really? I'd say that compared to the amount of ex-players who come into coaching/management, the amount of managers at a fairly high level who had either no playing career or played at a low level is actually incredibly high.

Guest firetotheworks

It's really not that rare is it? Off the top of my head there are Mourinho, Wenger, Houllier, Villas Boas, Sven who were all either never players or were never at the heights they were/are as managers.

It's really not that rare is it? Off the top of my head there are Mourinho, Wenger, Houllier, Villas Boas, Sven were all either never players or were never at the heights they were/are as managers.

They still played the game at fairly decent level.

Guest firetotheworks

It's really not that rare is it? Off the top of my head there are Mourinho, Wenger, Houllier, Villas Boas, Sven were all either never players or were never at the heights they were/are as managers.

None of them except Sven did out of those listed and even then, he didn't really. He played in the Swedish lower tiers for 10 years. The rest didn't play any football at all.

None of them except Sven did out of those listed and even then, he didn't really. He played in the Swedish lower tiers for 10 years. The rest didn't play any football at all.

Im sure Wenger played at a "level"

Wenger only played for amateur clubs.

He still played the game and game from inside the game.  Its not like he had a change of career.

of manag

For all those managers listed above.  You could name plenty of managers who have achieved "success" who came through a playing career to a management career.

Alex Ferguson, Bobby Robson, Kenny Dalgliesh, George Graham, Terry Venables, Pep Guadiola, Roberto Martinez, David Moyes Sam Allardyce, Alan Pardew 

:iamatwat:

Guest firetotheworks

I'm pretty sure Wenger and Mourinho both played, like. Mourinho was an attacking midfielder for some lowly Portuguese team, jacked it in pretty sharp, IIRC.

Mourinho played for the team that his dad managed, then two others and then quit because he wanted to be a manager. The point being, they're lowly teams. There was the whole 'Arsene who?' thing because in terms of being players, they were complete outsiders.

Guest firetotheworks

Wenger only played for amateur clubs.

He still played the game and game from inside the game.  Its not like he had a change of career.

of manag

For all those managers listed above.  You could name plenty of managers who have achieved "success" who came through a playing career to a management career.

Alex Ferguson, Bobby Robson, Kenny Dalgliesh, George Graham, Terry Venables, Pep Guadiola, Roberto Martinez, David Moyes Sam Allardyce, Alan Pardew 

:iamatwat:

That doesn't make the non-playing coaches rare though, that's what you originally said.

Brendan Rodgers never played either.

Rodgers career as a player was cut short due to an injury.

If he wanted to continue in football, then it was as a coach or a manager.

Rogers retired young to lock himself in his bedroom for 10 years and play Football Manager and learn to be a good manager.

I'm pretty sure Wenger and Mourinho both played, like. Mourinho was an attacking midfielder for some lowly Portuguese team, jacked it in pretty sharp, IIRC.

Mourinho played for the team that his dad managed, then two others and then quit because he wanted to be a manager. The point being, they're lowly teams. There was the whole 'Arsene who?' thing because in terms of being players, they were complete outsiders.

I thought at the time Arsenal brought Wenger in, he had tried his hand over in Japan but already had a reputation from France, so it wasn't "who is this dude" to the people ITK of football.

Brendan Rodgers never played either.

Rodgers career as a player was cut short due to an injury.

If he wanted to continue in football, then it was as a coach or a manager.

Rogers retired young to lock himself in his bedroom for 10 years and play Football Manager and learn to be a good manager.

He has a genetic knee issue apparently and retired early...in his 20s.

Players are going to achieve success as managers though, because they're the ones that get the vast majority of the employment opportunities.  If 99% of managers are ex players then some will be success.

There aren't many without top level playing experience who get a chance and a decent amount of them seem to be successful. I'm not bothered about ex players getting a chance to be managers, but it'd be nice if they were at least picked based on coaching ability and intelligence, rather than their ability as a player, which often means nothing to them being a great or crap manager.

Guest firetotheworks

I thought at the time Arsenal brought Wenger in, he had tried his hand over in Japan but already had a reputation from France, so it wasn't "who is this dude" to the people ITK of football.

Aye...from having not ever been a professional footballer. :lol: That's the point.