Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Are people advocating that playing FM would make you a good of a football team, or even just a half decent manager?  :lol: :lol:

So, I played total war, i should appply for a job as a general. :lol:

In short, it's not Pardew's results that make him compelling, he simply is. When Newcastle are going well, he cocks around the walk with all the swagger and confidence of a provincial estate agent who has just sealed another deal and, in the process, moved into pole position for the Employee of the Month award. It will be his third consecutive such triumph. When they're going badly he's that same estate agent, only the certificate and bottle of blended whisky has gone to somebody else and he's entirely at a loss to explain why or how. He knows, however, that it wasn't his fault.

There is something appallingly captivating about men like Pardew and the way they exist in the world. (At least from safe, neutral distance; God only knows how Newcastle fans cope.) Real life manifestations of the vainglorious pillock archetype that underpins so many of Britain's most enduring comic creations, most notably Alan Partridge. Not evil, not malicious, not bad in any real sense, but just so overwhelmingly oblivious, so solipsistically swirled up in their own sense of self that it's hard not to gape, open-mouthed, as they open their mouths and words fall out. "It's credit to the owner and also credit to me because I've had to dig in a few times."

That's a man congratulating himself on not having let the fact that he was doing his job badly, get in the way of his continuing to do the job badly. Plenty of managers draw deep from the well of self-belief -- it's almost a requirement, the job being what it is -- but few do so with such relentless thirst. Few, too, can match him when it comes to making excuses; slip-ups have, in the past, been blamed on everything from an over-excited home crowd to the Notting Hill Carnival. Some managers make excuses because they have to. Pardew makes them because, you sense, that he genuinely believes them to be the case. They must be! How could they not be?

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/12/9/7360377/alan-pardew-newcastle-manager-personality

In short, it's not Pardew's results that make him compelling, he simply is. When Newcastle are going well, he cocks around the walk with all the swagger and confidence of a provincial estate agent who has just sealed another deal and, in the process, moved into pole position for the Employee of the Month award. It will be his third consecutive such triumph. When they're going badly he's that same estate agent, only the certificate and bottle of blended whisky has gone to somebody else and he's entirely at a loss to explain why or how. He knows, however, that it wasn't his fault.

There is something appallingly captivating about men like Pardew and the way they exist in the world. (At least from safe, neutral distance; God only knows how Newcastle fans cope.) Real life manifestations of the vainglorious pillock archetype that underpins so many of Britain's most enduring comic creations, most notably Alan Partridge. Not evil, not malicious, not bad in any real sense, but just so overwhelmingly oblivious, so solipsistically swirled up in their own sense of self that it's hard not to gape, open-mouthed, as they open their mouths and words fall out. "It's credit to the owner and also credit to me because I've had to dig in a few times."

That's a man congratulating himself on not having let the fact that he was doing his job badly, get in the way of his continuing to do the job badly. Plenty of managers draw deep from the well of self-belief -- it's almost a requirement, the job being what it is -- but few do so with such relentless thirst. Few, too, can match him when it comes to making excuses; slip-ups have, in the past, been blamed on everything from an over-excited home crowd to the Notting Hill Carnival. Some managers make excuses because they have to. Pardew makes them because, you sense, that he genuinely believes them to be the case. They must be! How could they not be?

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/12/9/7360377/alan-pardew-newcastle-manager-personality

He's the Anti-Keegan, come to lay waste to the world.

That's very much on the money.

Experience as a teacher or manager of any kind would obviously prepare you a lot better for the job as a football manager than playing a computer game. The job is to manage people (well, footballers anyway), not clicking a mouse.

Guest firetotheworks

Experience as a teacher or manager of any kind would obviously prepare you a lot better for the job as a football manager than playing a computer game. The job is to manage people (well, footballers anyway), not clicking a mouse.

UGHHHHH :anguish:

Guest firetotheworks

I have experience in all of them, people that know nothing about video games always come out with demeaning crap like that. 'clicking a mouse' man,  aye, the entire game is just clicking a mouse, that's it, nothing else to it.

I have experience in all of them, people that know nothing about video games always come out with demeaning crap like that. 'clicking a mouse' man,  aye, the entire game is just clicking a mouse, that's it, nothing else to it.

Clicking a mouse and making decisions based on a list of options held in a database which the AI decides to push in your direction. Once you've played the game a number of times the decisions/choices must get easier with familiarity.

:lol: He's getting FM mixed up with the first Diablo game. I broke a mouse playing that where you had to click to take steps.

Guest firetotheworks

It's way, way more complicated than that and the outcome of choices depend on countless variables such as the club, the player involved etc etc and it's all based on real life, so someone like Balotelli is going to be a shit to manage etc. I'm not even saying that it's going to make you a manager, I think suggesting that is cringey, it's just this whole turning your nose up at games as if they're still how they were in the '70s that's ignorant.

It's a good tool and it's actually used by clubs, so in depth is the data in it. The job is obviously to manage people, but discounting it and saying that a teacher or manager (regardless of their experience or knowledge of football) is going to prepare you a lot better than 'clicking a mouse' is based on nothing more than ignorance really.

It seems very unrealistic to me when my mates tell me they win the lague with Newcastle all the time and have Aguero playing for them, can spend millions of pounds and have a top team.

Once you've clocked on to how the game works, its not realistic at all.

Im not suggesting its just clicking a mouse like an 80s spectrum game but I ouwld hardley call it a tool for leanring how to manage a real live football club.

Guest firetotheworks

It seems very unrealistic to me when my mates tell me they win the lague with Newcastle all the time and have Aguero playing for them, can spend millions of pounds and have a top team.

Once you've clocked on to how the game works, its not realistic at all.

Im not suggesting its just clicking a mouse like an 80s spectrum game but I ouwld hardley call it a tool for leanring how to manage a real live football club.

Over being a manager in an office or a teacher with potentially no knowledge of football? That was the point.

It doesn't include the human element. I think that's crucial. In other industries, in IT, in manufacturing, CEOs are the usually smart guys. At least the original CEO is pretty damn smart. But in sports, because emotions play such a huge part, no sport has really developed a way to include 'outsiders' as managers and coaches. You look at the NFL where the best coaches are sons of former coaches or they're former players. In the NBA, the same thing applies: the best coaches were players. Same with MLB.

I think the difference is in the squad building and general management. Those guys are now all educated guys. In MLB, the vast majority of general managers are graduates from the top universities in America. GMs in the NBA are increasingly data-driven and thus extremely well-educated.

Football, because it's not as easily broken down into data that can be analysed as the American sports, doesn't require as data-driven people. But, is there a greater benefit from hiring someone well-educated to negotiate contracts, transfers and execute youth development? Yeah, I definitely think so and the smarter clubs will edge that way. I would say the coaching could be taught to outsiders so the technical part is possible but the man-management and motivation part is what's missing and that really requires someone who's good at it, whether they're a former player or not.

I'd say someone smart would see that buying English players in general doesn't yield as much value, they'd be able to see optimal squad sizes, develop training methods and rehabilitation methods that are an improvement on what currently exists. This would be an improvement on someone like Pardew whose first choice is to buy English has-beens. But man-management is something else that I don't think an outsider can do as easily because of the respect and acceptance part from the players.

I'm sure people that play FM, are ALSO capable of working with and managing people. I mean come on.

People completely missed the point of that post. It wasn't about video gaming. He was just talking tactics really, and the basics of setting up a team.

Pardew's approach to that task is borderline psychotic, so yeah, I'd probably ask my 6 year old nephew to set out the team ahead of him, because he's alright at FIFA. And when he uses Newcastle he always keeps Sissoko in the middle and Cisse upfront.

So someone that plays a game that mimics football management, a game that is essentially lists and options...is going to have more chance of being a football manager than someone who has little knowledge of the game.

If you can sit in the dugout with your laptop maybe.

:lol: He's getting FM mixed up with the first Diablo game. I broke a mouse playing that where you had to click to take steps.

I love the CM/FM games. That's what they are though, games. You could probably pick up a thing or two about football management, but there are loads of teenagers out there winning the CL with Wrexham.

Guest firetotheworks

So someone that plays a game that mimics football management, a game that is essentially lists and options...is going to have more chance of being a football manager than someone who has little knowledge of the game.

If you can sit in the dugout with your laptop maybe.

No, they're going to be better equipped than someone that has managed someone in an office or has been a teacher, without any knowledge of football, of course they are.

Don't you think it's canny archaic to think that someone managing people is more important than knowing about football?

UGHHHHH :anguish:

You've got something to say?