Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Brendan Rodgers never played either.

Rodgers career as a player was cut short due to an injury.

If he wanted to continue in football, then it was as a coach or a manager.

Rogers retired young to lock himself in his bedroom for 10 years and play Football Manager and learn to be a good manager.

A career in the army was an option, but he didn't enjoy Call of Duty so wasn't great at shooting a gun.

Rogers retired young to lock himself in his bedroom for 10 years and play Football Manager and learn to be a good manager.

He has a genetic knee issue apparently and retired early...in his 20s.

Aka he was a fat bastard.

A career in the army was an option, but he didn't enjoy Call of Duty so wasn't great at shooting a gun.

:lol: :lol:

Not sure there are many more incestuous career paths that exist than football.

So many less than average and mediocre managers, pundits, coaches et al just doing the rounds. Sycophantically fawned over by the same TV channels. Almost like a closed shop in some ways.

I'm pretty sure Wenger and Mourinho both played, like. Mourinho was an attacking midfielder for some lowly Portuguese team, jacked it in pretty sharp, IIRC.

Mourinho played for the team that his dad managed, then two others and then quit because he wanted to be a manager. The point being, they're lowly teams. There was the whole 'Arsene who?' thing because in terms of being players, they were complete outsiders.

I agree on the not needing to be a player thing, there's a lot of turd in the English management ranks, I was just sure those two had played the game at some professional level.

On a personal note, I was speaking to a Championship player not long back, some of the things he was telling me about the backwards management really does open your eyes to the living these blokes are stealing.

Can't believe people are arguing that people with an education outside football aren't as capable of being good managers as the dimwits who were lucky enough to play. The numbers will always be stacked massively against those outside the game but what the few who did it have actually achieved in the game tells you they need more chances.

:lol:  I was actually thinking about that game/ vs real wars before when that Fm thing broke  out.. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Wenger and Mourinho both played, like. Mourinho was an attacking midfielder for some lowly Portuguese team, jacked it in pretty sharp, IIRC.

Mourinho played for the team that his dad managed, then two others and then quit because he wanted to be a manager. The point being, they're lowly teams. There was the whole 'Arsene who?' thing because in terms of being players, they were complete outsiders.

On a personal note, I was speaking to a Championship player not long back, some of the things he was telling me about the backwards management really does open your eyes to the living these blokes are stealing.

Go on....

Players are going to achieve success as managers though, because they're the ones that get the vast majority of the employment opportunities.  If 99% of managers are ex players then some will be success.

There aren't many without top level playing experience who get a chance and a decent amount of them seem to be successful. I'm not bothered about ex players getting a chance to be managers, but it'd be nice if they were at least picked based on coaching ability and intelligence, rather than their ability as a player, which often means nothing to them being a great or crap manager.

Some might get picked on reputation alone but others might have great ideas on what they want to do with the team and how they want to drive it forward.

Go on....

I absolutely believe this like.

Can't believe people are arguing that people with an education outside football aren't as capable of being good managers as the dimwits who were lucky enough to play. The numbers will always be stacked massively against those outside the game but what the few who did it have actually achieved in the game tells you they need more chances.

There's absolutely no reason a nobody who plays football manager couldn't make a career out of it if he studied the game enough IMO.

It's the same with anything really, if you work hard enough at it and learn the craft you can do it. But fact of the matter is you'll never get a chance based on that alone.

I personally never understand the mindset that "he's played football so he knows his stuff and you didn't so you know fuck all ". Sky and BBC prove on a weekly basis that isn't the case if anything in some cases it's the complete opposite.

Players are going to achieve success as managers though, because they're the ones that get the vast majority of the employment opportunities.  If 99% of managers are ex players then some will be success.

There aren't many without top level playing experience who get a chance and a decent amount of them seem to be successful. I'm not bothered about ex players getting a chance to be managers, but it'd be nice if they were at least picked based on coaching ability and intelligence, rather than their ability as a player, which often means nothing to them being a great or crap manager.

Some might get picked on reputation alone but others might have great ideas on what they want to do with the team and how they want to drive it forward.

I'm sure that some will be great managers, but the amount that go on to be poor shows that far too much is done on reputation.  That's not a problem unique to Football though.  You can look at any business the world over and see some clown get promoted to a job they don't deserve because they kissed up to the boss, or they have friends in high places and many other factors.

You can see the same problem with players.  Young players not getting a look in because they don't have a fancy name and so another guy gets playing time for ages, even when he's awful.  A lot of our young players have only been given chances because Pardew had no choice.  If he'd had his way Gouffran would still be left wing.  Unfortunately the world is full of people doing things for the wrong reasons, or with misguided reasoning.

There's absolutely no reason a nobody who plays football manager couldn't make a career out of it if he studied the game enough IMO.

It's the same with anything really, if you work hard enough at it and learn the craft you can do it. But fact of the matter is you'll never get a chance based on that alone.

I personally never understand the mindset that "he's played football so he knows his stuff and you didn't so you know f*** all ". Sky and BBC prove on a weekly basis that isn't the case if anything in some cases it's the complete opposite.

That Secret Footballer guy/Dave Kitson is obsessed with telling people that only people who have played the game can truly understand the tactical nuances etc and that fans generally don't know anything.  Which is quite frankly a load of crap, but his view nonetheless.

I personally never understand the mindset that "he's played football so he knows his stuff and you didn't so you know f*** all ". Sky and BBC prove on a weekly basis that isn't the case if anything in some cases it's the complete opposite.

That Secret Footballer guy/Dave Kitson is obsessed with telling people that only people who have played the game can truly understand the tactical nuances etc and that fans generally don't know anything.  Which is quite frankly a load of crap, but his view nonetheless.

Most people involved in professional football are barely educated man, it's nothing more than a closed shop designed to keep as many of them in work as possible.

Are there any English managers who did not play the game to a competitive level?

Some pretty impressive foreign managers have been listed. Wondering if there are nay English ones at all?

Put on the other page an article about the Brentford manager who left a career as a broker to get into football, but he had played non-league stuff before I think.

If you have sat on the sidelines away from football and not been involved in it "in some form", where are you experiences going to come from?  You may have all the right ideas and intentions but your experiences are zero.  I dont think a football club would touch you.

Guest firetotheworks

One of the main things that I've learned since being on N-O, which has been near 10 years, is that generally fans (not just ours) that have a degree of intelligence about the game and want their team to play football, know how their team can do it, with the right players in the right positions.

Going beyond that gets talked about, but a lot of simple things like formations, positions, player selection get mentioned a lot because generally it's obvious to everyone but the managers. In a way the fans have a unique and more important view point than the managers, in that we only see what happens on Saturday and a lot of managers seem to forget that that's all that matters. As an example, Shola has shown us for years and years that being shit hot in training means fuck all.

I think one thing that is definitive for me, is that from a high level of football or not, the better educated managers with a positive life and football philosophy generally perform better.  It doesn't necessarily have to be high academic education, it could be gradual self study and self improvement.  You can tell when someone is making sense, their ideas have a cohesion and they're logical.

A lot of managers, you can listen to them ramble on and apart from struggling to string a sentence together, their analysis of games, tactics and idea of football simply make no sense.  That's when you start questioning how they ever got through an interview and were given a job managing anybody else.  Some of them sound like they couldn't even manage to make their own Ready Brek.

It's in his interest to maintain the glamour and illusion around the profession that keeps it a closed shop.

If you have sat on the sidelines away from football and not been involved in it "in some form", where are you experiences going to come from?  You may have all the right ideas and intentions but your experiences are zero.  I dont think a football club would touch you.

Kevin keegan 92

Go on....

Things like taking a 5 day holiday (the whole club) when in the middle of a lengthy losing streak so he can go and pissed abroad with his mates, spending multiple days a week on running (no tactics, set pieces or ball work, just running about), no tactical instruction for games (just a 'motivational' speech pre-game) etc. Worse was his treatment of the players, apparently just tears strips off them all the time and sold a lad that asked if the club could pick him up after an operation because he thought it was a sign he was getting too big for his boots.

Basically, he earns an excellent wage to shout at people and make them run around a field for two hours a day.

One of the main things that I've learned since being on N-O, which has been near 10 years, that generally fans (not just ours) that have a degree of intelligence about the game and want their team to play football, know how their team can do it, with the right players in the right positions.

Going beyond that gets talked about, but a lot of simple things like formations, positions, player selection get mentioned a lot because generally it's obvious to everyone but the managers. In a way the fans have a unique and more important view point than the managers, in that we only see what happens on Saturday and a lot of managers seem to forget that that's all that matters. As an example, Shola has shown us for years and years that being s*** hot in training means f*** all.

Aye, and Im not sticking up for Pardew here tho.  Its easy putting formations up on here and sharing ideas of how the team would play better football if the team did XYZ.

We dont sit in on training sessions, we dont sit in the changing rooms before games , we dont sit in on class room sessions, we generally dont know about injuries first hand.  we have no ideas of the problems players have and how coaches and managers have to deal with it.

This is where management comes into it, juggling all the different problems.