Crystal Palace manager

Mick

So someone that plays a game that mimics football management, a game that is essentially lists and options...is going to have more chance of being a football manager than someone who has little knowledge of the game.

If you can sit in the dugout with your laptop maybe.

No, they're going to be better equipped than someone that has managed someone in an office or has been a teacher, without any knowledge of football, of course they are.

Don't you think it's canny archaic to think that someone managing people is more important than knowing about football?

Mike Ashleys manages a bunch of people to run a football club and his football knowledge is pretty garbage. 

Guest firetotheworks

So someone that plays a game that mimics football management, a game that is essentially lists and options...is going to have more chance of being a football manager than someone who has little knowledge of the game.

No, they're going to be better equipped than someone that has managed someone in an office or has been a teacher, without any knowledge of football, of course they are.

Don't you think it's canny archaic to think that someone managing people is more important than knowing about football?

Mike Ashleys manages a bunch of people to run a football club and his football knowledge is pretty garbage. 

:lol:

Eh? I dunno what point you're making here?

Ashley, Pardew, Bishop etc meeting up at the training ground, for a coffee, chat over the upcoming transfer window....

Bishop ' Here lads look at this website- The Fans who dont like Alan think they can do better cos they have been good at a football manager computer game'

....Lots of Laughing out loud.

...Pardew is here forever.

It's way, way more complicated than that and the outcome of choices depend on countless variables such as the club, the player involved etc etc and it's all based on real life, so someone like Balotelli is going to be a s*** to manage etc. I'm not even saying that it's going to make you a manager, I think suggesting that is cringey, it's just this whole turning your nose up at games as if they're still how they were in the '70s that's ignorant.

It's a good tool and it's actually used by clubs, so in depth is the data in it. The job is obviously to manage people, but discounting it and saying that a teacher or manager (regardless of their experience or knowledge of football) is going to prepare you a lot better than 'clicking a mouse' is based on nothing more than ignorance really.

I agree it's a good tool but it's still a game with its own rules, based on reality yes but still a simulation.

Communicating with players, motivating players, building team spirit etc is obviously a big, big part of the job.

Guest firetotheworks

Ashley, Pardew, Bishop etc meeting up at the training ground, for a coffee, chat over the upcoming transfer window....

Bishop ' Here lads look at this website- The Fans who dont like Alan think they can do better cos they have been good at a football manager computer game'

Aye, that's exactly what people are saying.

Anything to contribute outside of snidey, arsehole remarks? It seems like that's all you're capable of.

Anything to contribute outside of snidey, arsehole remarks? It seems like that's all you're capable of.

Guest firetotheworks

It's way, way more complicated than that and the outcome of choices depend on countless variables such as the club, the player involved etc etc and it's all based on real life, so someone like Balotelli is going to be a s*** to manage etc. I'm not even saying that it's going to make you a manager, I think suggesting that is cringey, it's just this whole turning your nose up at games as if they're still how they were in the '70s that's ignorant.

It's a good tool and it's actually used by clubs, so in depth is the data in it. The job is obviously to manage people, but discounting it and saying that a teacher or manager (regardless of their experience or knowledge of football) is going to prepare you a lot better than 'clicking a mouse' is based on nothing more than ignorance really.

I agree it's a good tool but it's still a game with its own rules, based on reality yes but still a simulation.

Communicating with players, motivating players, building team spirit etc is obviously a big, big part of the job.

Definitely, totally agree with that.

Dunno about a teacher or office manager being more well equipped, mind.

Guest firetotheworks

Thought so.

Thought so.

ok, I will put that more straightforward if it helps you.

Pardews critics do themselves no favours talking about computer games.

Think people are missing the point, pretty sure the original post - which I agree with, is that in playing games like FM and just watching matches you can develop a pretty astute appreciation of the systems and tactics. Such people are being employed (I know a lot of them will have related degrees as well) in football now in analytic's and performance departments. Obviously it's a significant leap to becoming an actual manager - because it very much is who you know etc and man management is a totally arena, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

No one is saying that that alone would make a great manager, only that's a good tool to start from as a basis to learn from.

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't use that as a tool to learn the necessary basics before going on to learn the more advanced stuff like motivation and the general human element.

Think people are missing the point, pretty sure the original post - which I agree with, is that in playing games like FM and just watching matches you can develop a pretty astute appreciation of the systems and tactics. Such people are being employed (I know a lot of them will have related degrees as well) in football now in analytic's and performance departments. Obviously it's a significant leap to becoming an actual manager - because it very much is who you know etc and man manegent is a totally arena, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Some people do seem pretty oblivious to the increasing importance of analytics in football.

No one is saying that that alone would make a great manager, only that's a good tool to start from as a basis to learn from.

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't use that as a tool to learn the necessary basics before going on to learn the more advanced stuff like motivation and the general human element.

Id like to think your basic education of football would come from actually watching games, going to games and watching all formats of football.

Playing football manager might help you in some form but it wont ever replace someone who has been involved with the game all their lives, played to a level, became a coach and then moved up to management or even DOF.

I was tking the piss with that one.  :lol: :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I think discounting both is naive, but the point is that those that have been in football tend to get that door opened to them because they were a player, despite having no real experience of management. The whole argument originally was that there's nothing to say that these people will be any good and in fact there are a lot of managers who have no real experience as a player that have come through to management and been some of the most successful.

Guest firetotheworks

I was tking the piss with that one.  :lol: :lol:

I thought so like, had to be sure though.

Id like to think your basic education of football would come from actually watching games, going to games and watching all formats of football.

Agreed.

I think FM is of most use to scouts, thanks to its large database with player info.

Agreed.

I think FM is of most use to scouts, due to its large database with player info.

who inputs the player info?

Guest firetotheworks

A team of researchers (usually with scouting and coaching experience) that travel the world and watch players first hand, talk to people in the game and report back to the developer.