Impatient Newcastle United fans.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest thenorthumbrian

Next time someone says that United fans are too demanding or our expectations are too high. 

Teams, 30 of them, that have won something since 1969 when we last won a major trophy:

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Birmingham City

Blackburn Rovers

Chelsea

Coventry City

Derby County

Everton

Ipswich Town

Leeds United

Leicester City

Liverpool

Luton Town

Manchester City

Manchester United

Middlesbrough

Norwich City

Nottingham Forest

Oxford United

Portsmouth

Sheffield Wednesday

Southampton

Stoke City

Sunderland

Swansea

Tottenham Hotspur

West Ham United

Wigan Athletic

Wimbledon

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Add to that the following 5 who have won a domestic trophy since 1955

Bolton Wanderers

Burnley

Queens Park Rangers

Swindon Town

West Bromwich Albion

When we played Liverpool in the 1974 FA Cup final we were actually the more successful team with 11 major honours to their 10.

Since then Liverpool have won 5 European Cups/Champions League, 2 UEFA Cups, 10 league titles, 6 FA Cups and 8 League Cups =31 major honours.

We've won nowt, not even by accident.

When we played Liverpool in the 1974 FA Cup final we were actually the more successful team with 11 major honours to their 10.

Since then Liverpool have won 5 European Cups/Champions League, 2 UEFA Cups, 10 league titles, 6 FA Cups and 8 League Cups =31 major honours.

Awful statistic

Guest thenorthumbrian

In terms of size of support etc there is no reason why we couldn't have competed with Liverpool over the years for trophies.

Fucking hell.

f***ing hell.

This is something that I was always aware of and it rankles when Liverpool fans go on about how they deserve this and that because of their history.  They were fortunate to appoint a brilliant manager who set in the wheels in motion for a hugely successful decade or so at a time when that established them as one of the elite clubs during a period when the commercial/globalisation of football started to take off.  Until 1974 onwards, there were a number of other clubs who had been more successful. 

Leeds is another club whose successful history is very recent - before Revie, they had won very little if anything.

Next time someone says that United fans are too demanding or our expectations are too high. 

Teams, 30 of them, that have won something since 1969 when we last won a major trophy:

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Birmingham City

Blackburn Rovers

Chelsea

Coventry City

Derby County

Everton

Ipswich Town

Leeds United

Leicester City

Liverpool

Luton Town

Manchester City

Manchester United

Middlesbrough

Norwich City

Nottingham Forest

Oxford United

Portsmouth

Sheffield Wednesday

Southampton

Stoke City

Sunderland

Swansea

Tottenham Hotspur

West Ham United

Wigan Athletic

Wimbledon

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers

Burnley

Queens Park Rangers

Swindon Town

West Bromwich Albion

Some real giants among those names - surely you don't expect a club like Newcastle to compete for honours with some of the Titans named here..? I mean, Luton, Coventry etc...we should remember our place and not get too uppity by thinking we can challenge teams like this !

Thankfully, we have always had, as we do right now, a Board who has ensured we steer clear of unnecessary diversions like the FA Cup, what was formerly the League Cup, and playing those dreadful European games.

The Directors of Newcastle United are being followed in their fine tradition of maintaining a tranquil and unexciting atmosphere at St James Park by one Mike Ashley, a fitting inheritor of a great footballing tradition, notably illustrated by the ease at which the club's mugs - I mean, fans - can be conned.

This proud record looks likely to stand unchallenged for the foreseeable future..

Convinced I was the Boston strangler in a previous life. Thus I am atoning in this life. Neesy must have butchered someone going by his maiming of the English language. All fits.

Karma's not such a bitch then if supporting a shit club is the cosmic punishment for killing a bunch of women.  Goebbels is probably stuck in upstate New York lamenting the Bills.

This is something that I was always aware of and it rankles when Liverpool fans go on about how they deserve this and that because of their history.  They were fortunate to appoint a brilliant manager who set in the wheels in motion for a hugely successful decade or so at a time when that established them as one of the elite clubs during a period when the commercial/globalisation of football started to take off... 

To be fair, that is also applicable to Newcastle United, just 20 years later. It's just that you won nowt, almost miraculously. Even we won a trophy between 93 and 2003, and we were fucking shite.

Convinced I was the Boston strangler in a previous life. Thus I am atoning in this life. Neesy must have butchered someone going by his maiming of the English language. All fits.

Karma's not such a bitch then if supporting a s*** club is the cosmic punishment for killing a bunch of women.  Goebbels is probably stuck in upstate New York lamenting the Bills.

Damn.  :lol: :lol:

Karma's not such a bitch then if supporting a s*** club is the cosmic punishment for killing a bunch of women.  Goebbels is probably stuck in upstate New York lamenting the Bills.

:okay: Who the fuck was I?

Guest Bert Shaft

Can we add the "biggest club in the world to win f*ck all for ages" cup to go with our "Balance Sheet Champions" trophy to our honours list.

:dave:

Sad.

:okay: Who the fuck was I?

I'm not a gambling man, but I'd put money down on you having been some perverted kids' show host like Captain Kangaroo.

One little league cup victory and I'll go to my grave a happy man.

Not in many on here's lifetime I fear. I expect to see us win nothing in my years left shuffling about on the planet tbh.

Maybe the teens on here may stand a chance, wouldn't bank on it mind.

and on that happy note. Horlicks and to bed  :lol:

Guest thenorthumbrian

Apart from one or two runners ups and losing cup finals we haven't really got that close too often to success either, when you consider the period of time we are talking about. 

Guest northshieldsmag

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Birmingham City

Blackburn Rovers

Chelsea

Coventry City

Derby County

Everton

Ipswich Town

Leeds United

Leicester City

Liverpool

Luton Town

Manchester City

Manchester United

Middlesbrough

Norwich City

Nottingham Forest

Oxford United

Portsmouth

Sheffield Wednesday

Southampton

Stoke City

Sunderland

Swansea

Tottenham Hotspur

West Ham United

Wigan Athletic

Wimbledon

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers

Burnley

Queens Park Rangers

Swindon Town

West Bromwich Albion

Some real giants among those names - surely you don't expect a club like Newcastle to compete for honours with some of the Titans named here..? I mean, Luton, Coventry etc...we should remember our place and not get too uppity by thinking we can challenge teams like this !

Thankfully, we have always had, as we do right now, a Board who has ensured we steer clear of unnecessary diversions like the FA Cup, what was formerly the League Cup, and playing those dreadful European games.

The Directors of Newcastle United are being followed in their fine tradition of maintaining a tranquil and unexciting atmosphere at St James Park by one Mike Ashley, a fitting inheritor of a great footballing tradition, notably illustrated by the ease at which the club's mugs - I mean, fans - can be conned.

This proud record looks likely to stand unchallenged for the foreseeable future..

The only time we challenged was under the previous owners though ? But you are right Ashley will not challenge either I don't think.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Gale in his commentating today brought this one up, apparently we are asking to finish 5th every year and that is too much we need to lower those expectations. Think some people mentioned in the match day thread that  he said  Pardew is a good manager his record speaks for itself, he's right with the second part of that statement how many wins in 2014 again ? He also said of course that  we don't like Pardew because he is a Londoner and we wanted a Geordie. Well looking at history, here did we dislike his London born predecessor ? Outside of Sir Bobby the only Geordie in my living memory to manage the side on a permanent basis was Jackie Charlton and he left because he thought the fans were on his back. When will these so called "experts" quit with their stereotypes and just talk some fucking common sense.