Christmas shopping - squad strength

Guest jackmisfit

haven't read through this thread but has anyone nominated luke young yet? can't be happy at charlton

Was thinking that while watching the game, think he is overrated but still a hell of a lot better than we have!

We could well do without three of this squad of 23, it would leave us needing 2 LB's, 1 RB and a striker. Any money left over will go on a CB.

GK

Given

Harper

Pav

Krul

RB

Carr (sell)

Nobby

CB

Taylor

Moore

Ramage

Bramble

LB

Babayaro (sell)

LW

Duff

Zoggy

RW

Milner

Dyer

CM

Parker

Butt

Emre

Striker

Martins

Owen

Le Sib

Shola

Luque (sell)

Kind of drew up a 'realistic' forecast for the transfer windows.

JANUARY:

OUT:

Albert Luque - £3m

Giuseppe Rossi - Loan Return

IN:

Sylvain Distin - £2.5m

Wayne Bridge - Loan

Mark Viduka - £2m

Lomana Tresor Lua Lua - Loan

Given

Solano --- Taylor --- Distin --- Bridge

Dyer --- Emre --- Butt --- N'Zogbia

Martins --- Viduka

SUMMER:

OUT:

Celestine Babayaro

Stephen Carr

Titus Bramble

Nicky Butt

Wayne Bridge

Lomana Tresor Lua Lua

IN:

Leighton Baines - £6m

Glen Johnson - £4m

Wes Brown - £4m

Lassana Diarra - £3m

(Michael Owen)

(Shola Ameobi)

First Team:

Given

Johnson --- Taylor --- Brown --- Baines

Milner --- Parker --- Dyer --- N'Zogbia

Martins --- Owen

Second Team:

Harper

Solano --- Distin --- Moore --- Ramage

Duff --- Diarra --- Emre --- Pattison

Viduka --- Sibierski

Not much thought put into it, honestly. :wink:

I want a new striker, and would love to see ashton or bent here. But will that happen, as hes not going to drop martins or owen?

We need a stopgap striker or two in January, we'd probably get away with just one (see my previous post). That's all we need. When Owen and Shola come back, we'll have Oba, Owen, Shola, Sibierski, Dyer and that stopgap striker. The last thing we need is to spend another package on a forward.

As tempting as it is, cos they're cracking players, we simply don't need a Bent or an Ashton.

We need a leftback, and then a rightback, after that, anything else is a bonus.

I say we spend decent on these two positions, £5m each.

Get players who are not only consistant and can handle pressure, but are not injury prone, then maybe we can form a backline before the season is out.

If we did that i'd be happy.

Loan signing upfront would be nice to replace Rossi, someone with experience this time though, someone we can rely on instead of blooding.

Guest alijmitchell

Think a new striker is a must in january (what happens if Martins picks up an injury - we'll be truly f****d then). Would take Leighton Baines 4m, Distin 2.5m, Pressley 0m?, and then probably Beattie for 4m as well. Think that would do the job. Would love to see a loanee striker as well as a right back added to that (Carr is the single worst fullback ever - fat twat) but don't think roeder would make it happen as he seems happy with mr potatoehead and we'll probs only land one striker.

Don't think we'll be spending much money at all during the january window...maybe 2 or 3 mill if that.....more likely to be a couple of loan signings (Viduka) or Pressly on a free until roader can sit down and asses at end of season.

Loan signings for Wes Brown and Alan smith would be excellent but i'll bet all my money Sir Alex won't do loan business again this season after the rossi debarcle. Young players such as bains and bent and A.young would be over priced and why would chelsea want to sell or loan their cover at LB in Bridge???!

Im just intregued who Glenn brings in and i think its inevitable luque will be on his way and possibly a surprise with Milner finally moving to Villa to raise some much needed cash (hope this dosn't happen btw!)

Guest jackmisfit

With how thin the squad is, I can't see more than one or two players leaving, (Rossi is definate, Luque is a strong possiblity). The fact that Luque doesn't play, with how many players are hurt, to me means that he's as good as gone. Roeder needs to sign 2 to 4 players, just to fill the holes. I could see them buying one striker and maybe getting one on loan, but I don't think that they will sell Milner outright. Past Luque and Rossi, they would definately need to replace each additional player they sold.

Personally, I think that there will probably be about 3 new faces in the January window. I don't think they'll be high priced, they'll probably be Sibierski type players, (low payroll, hard working).

Why are people saying buy Distin for £2m-£4m? He has 6 months left of his contract doesnt he? Offer £500k take it or leave it. If Man City wont sell him for that we could talk to him in Jan and get him for free in the Summer.

I wouldnt mind us getting D.Bent but for no more than £7m.

Z.Gera would be a welcomed addition to the squad, IMO we lack another play maker and someone like Gera would be decent to have on the bench.

I would love to see us get W.Bridge but with him signing a new deal i cant see him leaving.

Ive noticed a few people suggesting we go for L.Young but tbh i dont rate him at all, If Solano can continue performing at RB then perhaps he should stay there till the Summer when we can have a better search for a RB.

Guest alexharrisonnufc

james beatiie, kevin davies or mark viduka we need someone to hold play up, also someone said something about teddy sheringham that would be a very interesting combination of martins and sheringham, martins could just chase his through balls all day

Don't think we really need a targetman, someone who can hold the ball up, because Martins is decent enough at winning headers and opening up the play. We need a goalscorer, simple as. Someone who'll stand in the box, wait for the ball, and score - letting Martins, Dyer, Zoggy, Milner, etc do the work.

Mark Viduka.

Repeating myself i am. ;-)

Newcastle United manager Glenn Roeder has hinted he will be able to spend in the New Year.

The Magpies are currently down to the bare bones with a host of first-team regulars on the sidelines injured.

Roeder is without the likes of Michael Owen, Scott Parker and Damien Duff, but he is refusing to get despondent.

Three consecutive Premiership wins has lifted the side up to 14th in the table and now Roeder has been told he will be able to make additions in the January transfer window.

"The medics have never known anything like this anywhere," he said.

"I'm not thinking of what's coming up, it's one game at a time.

"I've been give the confidence that I'll be able to bring in fresh faces in January."

Don't think we really need a targetman, someone who can hold the ball up, because Martins is decent enough at winning headers and opening up the play. We need a goalscorer, simple as. Someone who'll stand in the box, wait for the ball, and score - letting Martins, Dyer, Zoggy, Milner, etc do the work.

Mark Viduka.

Viduka is hardly prolific now is he.

Mark Viduka.

Viduka is hardly prolific now is he.

Well, not this season, because he hasn't played very much. But in the past - yes. He scored 16/17 goals last season. He'd fill the criteria, without a shadow of a doubt.