Newcastle 1-0 Liverpool - 1/11/14 - Match Thread - Post match reaction from p 27

Mike

I don't know if this has already been covered but I know the people who brought the backpardew.com banner into the east stand, they went to the same university as me and used to play lacrosse (!) together, I don't think any of them are Newcastle fans and were probably just here for a night out, it was probably their attempt at doing a "banter"

:lol: Jut realised we tried that kick off routine again. Wasn't aware just how many times we'd previously tried it with it failing until GNev pointed it out on MNF. Then Pardew gets all giddy about us scoring once from it as if it was some kind of genius. Then we try it again and lose the ball again yesterday. Probably tried it 10 times and lost the ball 9.

Great management, Pards.

I think it was boring as both teams wanted to play on counter, so both didn't really attack while the other team had most their players behind the ball, which was most the game.

But yes classic pardew reliant on moments of 'magic' rather than setting up our team to score goals. Still some defensive solidity is nice. We will see how Pardew sets up against West Brom, he should be less concerned about them and set us up for better football (lol of course he won't)

:lol: Jut realised we tried that kick off routine again. Wasn't aware just how many times we'd previously tried it with it failing until GNev pointed it out on MNF. Then Pardew gets all giddy about us scoring once from it as if it was some kind of genius. Then we try it again and lose the ball again yesterday. Probably tried it 10 times and lost the ball 9.

Great management, Pards.

We only scored due to colback mis hitting the pass

Guest palnese

Great management, Pards.

We only scored due to colback mis hitting the pass

:anguish: x 1000

I don't know if this has already been covered but I know the people who brought the backpardew.com banner into the east stand, they went to the same university as me and used to play lacrosse (!) together, I don't think any of them are Newcastle fans and were probably just here for a night out, it was probably their attempt at doing a "banter"

murder them and bury them under your patio, ta x

Great management, Pards.

As soon as the goal went in, I fucking knew Newcastle were going to try it over and over again until kingdom come :lol:

Willo probably successfully knocked down a corner to a teammate twice in one training session four years ago.

I thought we were good, but was astonished by how utterly toothless Liverpool were. Balotelli, in-particular, was an absolute carthorse, and his performance as a leading striker was up there with some of the worst I've seen at SJP in recent times. He represented all the cliches that get thrown at him.

But aye, we were decent and deserved to win. I don't think anyone had a bad game. Sissoko was an enormous presence for us and the main reason it was a victory and not a draw, IMO. From a defensive point of view, Abeid and Coloccini were the standout performers as we completely nullified their threat. Huge shout for Dummett, too, who kept Sterling quiet all afternoon. Sterling didn't play that ultra-wide role last year did he? ??? It was also a pleasure to see Gerrard, for once, barely in the game. Colback, who stayed on him for 90 minutes, deserves credit for that.

It was just the sort of workmanlike gameplan we've come to expect from any positive spell under Pardew. Stifle the opposition and nick a goal, then hang on. Not gonna sit here and say I didn't enjoy it, however, because I really did. It felt great to celebrate a goal again. I can't not celebrate a victory over that lot.

In spite of Pardew's continued depressing presence, I can't help but be excited by some of the players in the squad. I still feel it's an unbalanced mess, but you've got to be encouraged by the likes of Abeid, Ayoze and Sammy. It's nice to see those players doing well.