Ched Evans - Not Guilty

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

just getting a not guilty verdict doesn't mean lack of guilt.

He did a bad thing but has just got himself off the hook because he was prepared and able to pay enough legal fees.

Did he? Has that been proven beyond reasonable doubt?

just getting a not guilty verdict doesn't mean lack of guilt.

He did a bad thing but has just got himself off the hook because he was prepared and able to pay enough legal fees.

:lol: :lol:

It works both ways.

Nobody knows if he raped her or not, that's why it was ludicrous to completely ruin his life. Once he'd served his time he should have been allowed to get back to his job.

Morally bad and criminally illegal are different things.

The man has not been found guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

Regardless of what happened, our criminal justice system is the best we have and he should now be accepted into society and compensated for the time in prison. Whether he is able to continue as a footballer is a moral issue, and clubs will have different views on that. When you have the likes of Barton (legitimately convicted) playing, I think its difficult to continue the witch hunt against Evans.

Regardless of what happened, our criminal justice system is the best we have and he should now be accepted into society and compensated for the time in prison. Whether he is able to continue as a footballer is a moral issue, and clubs will have different views on that. When you have the likes of Barton (legitimately convicted) playing, I think its difficult to continue the witch hunt against Evans.

:thup:

I'm not sure tag-teaming a willing girl in a hotel room is morally bad anyway (if that's what actually happened).

And no, I'm not a misogynistic woman beater.

Having looked at all the evidence available, it's clear this is the right verdict, he should never have been found guilty in the first place. Having said that, what the hell was he thinking with his actions, amazed his girlfriend stood by him. He'll always be tarnished with this, despite the verdict, there will always be some who won't fully accept it.

:thup:

I'm not sure tag-teaming a willing girl in a hotel room is morally bad anyway (if that's what actually happened).

And no, I'm not a misogynistic woman beater.

Either way he was cheating on his girlfriend, so still a bad thing really.

Wasn't it the police that moved forward with the charges as she admitted she had no idea what happened? Not her going to the police saying she'd been raped?

That was how I understood it, aye.

Aye, same. Afaik it hinged on the judge deciding she couldn't possibly have been in a fit state to give consent even if she did actually consent at the time. That was always the mental bit for me; the lass was obviously pissed but assuming she did say aye the judge was saying she wasn't in a fit state to make that decision.

Welcome to every fucking weekend [emoji38]

Sorry, I've a hazy memory of reading up on this case ages back. So if she didn't press charges, how on earth did the police get called and involved initially? I know she was in the hotel room with one of his mates, and he went and joined or something?

Sorry, I've a hazy memory of reading up on this case ages back. So if she didn't press charges, how on earth did the police get called and involved initially? I know she was in the hotel room with one of his mates, and he went and joined or something?

Yeah he joined in. She woke up with no memories in her own piss iirc. Think her mates advised her to speak to the coppers, they found out Evans paid for the room and pursued the case from there. Something like that.

So, two lads came forward for the re trial and described a similar scenario that she was involved in previously? The lass clearly had a promiscuous history like despite only being 19 at the time.

Fascinating, but surely this is irrelevant where consent is concerned in this particular case? It's interesting how certain times past history is allowed as evidence, and other times it's not.

Yeah he joined in. She woke up with no memories in her own piss iirc. Think her mates advised her to speak to the coppers, they found out Evans paid for the room and pursued the case from there. Something like that.

I wonder if she'd have called the cops if she'd not been persuaded by her friends, especially if she's done these kinds of things before? Again, none of this excuses the notion of a lack of consent, which is a crime and inexcusable. But in this scenario, it seems like she didn't recall consenting, if I'm reading it correctly? If so, this seems like a gargantuan waste of public resources and time for everyone involved. Especially with the not-guilty verdict, which pretty much calls the whole thing a sham. What a clusterfuck for everyone involved, especially the girl who, I'm sure, didn't want her life turned upside down by either the (alleged) rape or the ensuing court dramas.

So, two lads came forward for the re trial and described a similar scenario that she was involved in previously? The lass clearly had a promiscuous history like despite only being 19 at the time.

Fascinating, but surely this is irrelevant where consent is concerned in this particular case? It's interesting how certain times past history is allowed as evidence, and other times it's not.

I wonder if she'd have called the cops if she'd not been persuaded by her friends, especially if she's done these kinds of things before? Again, none of this excuses the notion of a lack of consent, which is a crime and inexcusable. But in this scenario, it seems like she didn't recall consenting, if I'm reading it correctly? If so, this seems like a gargantuan waste of public resources and time for everyone involved. Especially with the not-guilty verdict, which pretty much calls the whole thing a sham. What a clusterfuck for everyone involved, especially the girl who, I'm sure, didn't want her life turned upside down by either the (alleged) rape or the ensuing court dramas.

That's exactly it, she remembered literally nothing at all about the evening which the prosecution and judge took to mean she couldn't consent and that equalled rape.

Think the Jury felt first time round she was too drunk to give consent, it's not really a sensational position but in this case it was odd as McDonald was cleared.

She went back to his room with him, which is an additional potential act of consent.  She didn't go back to a room with Ched.  I think that's why there were two different verdicts first time round.

Think the Jury felt first time round she was too drunk to give consent, it's not really a sensational position but in this case it was odd as McDonald was cleared.

She went back to his room with him, which is an additional potential act of consent.  She didn't go back to a room with Ched.  I think that's why there were two different verdicts first time round.

Yeah, wasn't it that they deemed she'd consented with him earlier in the evening or they knew each other, something like that?

Yeah he joined in. She woke up with no memories in her own p*ss iirc. Think her mates advised her to speak to the coppers, they found out Evans paid for the room and pursued the case from there. Something like that.

That's exactly it, she remembered literally nothing at all about the evening which the prosecution and judge took to mean she couldn't consent and that equalled rape.

What they said briefly on the radio, was that the two situations were too similar to ignore. Rarely would the accusers history have any bearing on the trial, but this was an exception.

At the heart of the successful appeal were fresh statements from two young men who described their sexual relations with the complainant, who was referred to in the crucial appeal court judgment as X, at around the time of the alleged rape in May 2011.

One, Y, actually came forward the day after Evans was found guilty in April 2012 to say she had had sex with him following the incident. He thought it “inconsistent” that she had slept with him a fortnight after she was attacked and – at a time when social media was alive with abuse about her – he came to the conclusion she was motivated by greed when she went to the police.

A man called Jack Higgins – who along with Evans’ younger brother Ryan voyeuristically peered in through the hotel window at the footballer and X – asked him to speak to Evans’ defence. He was briefly interviewed but his evidence was not used at that time.

In September 2015, the witness was re-interviewed by a private detective who was part of the new beefed-up Evans legal team. At this point he said X directed the sex and used the phrase: “Fuck me harder.” It was the first time he claimed she had used these words.

The explicit phrase is important because it chimes with what Evans claimed had happened in his encounter with X. He continues to insist she used exactly the same language.

A second man, Z, who was in a sexual relationship with X at the time of the alleged rape, had also made a rather bland statement back in September 2011.

In December 2015, he gave a much more detailed account to a member of Evans’ new legal team in which he said X had used the phrase “Go harder” with him.

Kieran Vaughan QC, for Evans, argued at the appeal court in the spring that there were “striking” similarities in the accounts of the two witnesses and that of Evans and they might support a defence of actual consent.

Wait, does that say two blokes were watching through the window?

aye, their mates were carrying on trying to film on their phones

whole thing was tawdry as fuck like :lol:

That is an added disgusting twist this trial really did not need, but adds much needed levity :lol:

Wait, does that say two blokes were watching through the window?

aye, their mates were carrying on trying to film on their phones

whole thing was tawdry as f*** like :lol:

One of the 'mates' was Evans' younger brother