NUFC Sporting Ambition

Minhosa

My kids will probably end up being NY Redbull or NYC FC fans. Hopefully a team in Queens pops up by then cause those places are far from where I live.

Being a Newcastle fan in America has a bit of charm to it. If I tell someone I support us, they know I really like football because who else would subject themselves to this torture but a true fan of the club and the game. I can't respect the Barca, Real, Man Utd, Chelsea, and even Man City(Yes, I see people wearing Man City shirts in NYC). They don't know what it is to be a true fan. Over here you hear people say "I became a fan of 'Team X' after the CL final". It just sounds so wrong.

I started taking an interest in watching Baseball a year or two ago.

I decided last year to pick a team & follow / support them in an armchair, from a distance: I picked the NY Mets.

I knew little about them other than they appear to be perennial underachievers whose odds of winning a world series were not short, to say the least.

I got talking to an American bloke on holiday a few weeks ago & though his knowledge on English game wasn't great, he argued that I`ve probably inadvertently picked the US baseball version of NUFC.

I just don't seem to do winning, in a sporting sense 

My kids will probably end up being NY Redbull or NYC FC fans. Hopefully a team in Queens pops up by then cause those places are far from where I live.

Being a Newcastle fan in America has a bit of charm to it. If I tell someone I support us, they know I really like football because who else would subject themselves to this torture but a true fan of the club and the game. I can't respect the Barca, Real, Man Utd, Chelsea, and even Man City(Yes, I see people wearing Man City shirts in NYC). They don't know what it is to be a true fan. Over here you hear people say "I became a fan of 'Team X' after the CL final". It just sounds so wrong.

I decided last year to pick a team & follow / support them in an armchair, from a distance: I picked the NY Mets.

I knew little about them other than they appear to be perennial underachievers whose odds of winning a world series were not short, to say the least.

I got talking to an American bloke on holiday a few weeks ago & though his knowledge on English game wasn't great, he argued that I`ve probably inadvertently picked the US baseball version of NUFC.

The real question is: Do they try and win things? If so, then I can see why you maintain the faith, if not... then yes, you have been sucked into a vacuum like the one we have at nufc

http://i.imgur.com/DcpP1zA.gif

http://i.imgur.com/DcpP1zA.gif

:facepalm:

I realised that after Id jumped man

The real question is: Do they try and win things? If so, then I can see why you maintain the faith, if not... then yes, you have been sucked into a vacuum like the one we have at nufc

Winning really is the ultimate end-game in American sports. It helps that we don't have systems of promotion/relegation, where merely staying in the top division is considered "winning." But it's nice starting a new NFL or MLB season not having a clue who'll be champions at the end of it all. And teams that do manage to build perennial contenders do so largely through excellent coaching and shrewd player acquisition (Baseball is a bit of an exception as teams are largely free to spend what they want. However, playoffs act as a great equalizer: the teams who met in the World Series this past season were 7th and 19th in total spending).

Winning really is the ultimate end-game in American sports. It helps that we don't have systems of promotion/relegation, where merely staying in the top division is considered "winning." But it's nice starting a new NFL or MLB season not having a clue who'll be champions at the end of it all. And teams that do manage to build perennial contenders do so largely through excellent coaching and shrewd player acquisition (Baseball is a bit of an exception as teams are largely free to spend what they want. However, playoffs act as a great equalizer: the teams who met in the World Series this past season were 7th and 19th in total spending).

There's certainly a lot less acceptance of just existing over here like. Most the teams & fans will be aiming to win the Superbowl, if not now, then soon.

However, the flipside is the Jacksonville Jaguars/Cleveland Browns, who have decided to just be shit forever, and it doesn't make any difference to them as they collect their NFL monies anyway I assume. NUFC have basically taken on this model, with the caveat that they have to be ~5th worst in the league, rather than just be complete shite. Thankfully at least two of the three promoted teams are going to be fighting for those bottom 3 places anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Or you get the types who inexplicably decided to start supporting Spurs in 2012 and consider themselves long-suffering.

A word of warning to anyone that hasn't already experienced this.. don't get nostalgic and watch videos of us pre-souness. Playing a freeflowing attacking brand of football with pace seems so far away. It is also so depressing how it highlights how badly we have fallen and how mediocre we are. Barring our stadium and fans there is nothing that distinguishes us from any other team in the bottom half of the premiership and top half of the championship.

Barring brief stints under Hughton and odd spells in games, we have not seen a side with the balls and unity to play attractive and organised football.

Is there anyone who is in the least bit bothered about the results anymore?

The main thing is that we must't get relegated but beyond that it's no real biggie. Better off doing something else.

Is there anyone who is in the least bit bothered about the results anymore?

The main thing is that we must't get relegated but beyond that it's no real biggie. Better off doing something else.

Disagree. We must get relegated and as quickly as possible. Pity it won't be this year. Ashley has to go one way or the other and relegation is the best bet we have.

I do wonder how much longer i can go on without caring that much about the result. Ever since we scraped staying up and settled back into midtable tedium there's been nothing at stake, nothing to enjoy. As soul destroying as that season where we really went down I was tense for most of it, it's more fun than this. I really hope for some positive managerial change in summer, but I doubt it. If Carver keeps the job (And if we stay up Ashley simply won't care to change things imo) it is going to such a struggle to get motivated for the next season.

Disillusioned with premiership football in general anyway. Some very ordinary players on huge wages right across the league, no tackling, no real passion, players feigning injuries, silent crowds, managers talking crap, no pace in the game etc.

I've watched a few championship matches on the TV this year and have been well impressed with Bournemouth's brand of pace and passing and Derby's game. Eddie Howe reminds me of a young Brian clough in that he can turn ordinary players into something better with a bit of coaching.

I grew up in the 70,s and got into football then. Watching old youtube stuff you can see the passion, feel the crowd noise/atmosphere. Clubs were more equal then with provincial clubs like Derby and Notts Forest winning titles and progressing in Europe. Players took the tackles then, saw a repeat of McDonald's  second goal against Burnley in the cup semi final when Waldron tried to wrestle him to the ground, can you imagine that now, like say Costa would go to the ground, roll over several times, other players would race to the referee with the imaginary red card in the air, the manager would harangue the fourth official for the same thing, play would stop for the treatment and several minutes would pass, instead of doing what McDonald did and throw him off     

Disillusioned with premiership football in general anyway. Some very ordinary players on huge wages right across the league, no tackling, no real passion, players feigning injuries, silent crowds, managers talking crap, no pace in the game etc.

I've watched a few championship matches on the TV this year and have been well impressed with Bournemouth's brand of pace and passing and Derby's game. Eddie Howe reminds me of a young Brian clough in that he can turn ordinary players into something better with a bit of coaching.

I grew up in the 70,s and got into football then. Watching old youtube stuff you can see the passion, feel the crowd noise/atmosphere. Clubs were more equal then with provincial clubs like Derby and Notts Forest winning titles and progressing in Europe. Players took the tackles then, saw a repeat of McDonald's  second goal against Burnley in the cup semi final when Waldron tried to wrestle him to the ground, can you imagine that now, like say Costa would go to the ground, roll over several times, other players would race to the referee with the imaginary red card in the air, the manager would harangue the fourth official for the same thing, play would stop for the treatment and several minutes would pass, instead of doing what McDonald did and throw him off     

from what I can remember you got more attacking for your money back in 70s/80s. Unless im just being nostalgic, but Im sure I enjoyed games much more back then.

from what I can remember you got more attacking for your money back in 70s/80s. Unless im just being nostalgic, but Im sure I enjoyed games much more back then.

I certainly did and still enjoy the old stuff. Maybe it was a bit simpler then with quick one touch midfielders getting the ball forward as soon as, pacy wingers, at least two forwards, one big and one smaller , large loud crowds 126,000 for a European semi final Celtic /Leeds 1970!! now its just seems to be slow midfielders passing the ball between them and one forward hopelessly outnumbered yawn, yawn