The other games today - 2014/15

Greg

Maicon being a beast defensively is just a big a myth as it is with Ivanovic, he was constantly out of position but covered by multiple players. As Mourinho said when he was voted defender of the year " Maicon defender of the year?  Wouldn't he actually have to defend? " :lol: As I said he would constantly stroll backwards but it wouldn't matter because they had 3 people on that side of the pitch covering for him. Just like Ivanovic now as Matic does most of his defending.

Maicon being a beast defensively is just a big a myth as it is with Ivanovic, he was constantly out of position but covered by multiple players. As Mourinho said when he was voted defender of the year " Maicon defender of the year?  Wouldn't he actually have to defend? " :lol: As I said he would constantly stroll backwards but it wouldn't matter because they had 3 people on that side of the pitch covering for him. Just like Ivanovic now as Matic does most of his defending.

You could say that about almost every attacking fullback in a successful team. Piqué and Busquets cover for Alves all the time. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

For example, one of Madrid's biggest issues this season has been the lack of cover for Marcelo, since Modric and Kroos aren't proper DMs and can't perform that role effectively.

I can't agree with that, and would love to see when Mourinho said that so if you could post a link I'd appreciate it. Even Chiellini once said without Ibra and Maicon Inter would struggle badly. Think the fact Maicon only had 2 at tops 3 great years has made him very underrated. He was a beast in all kinds of way.

Guy I work with won a prize on the UEFA website for the Champions League Final. VIP tickets, playing in the Fans Final in the stadium the following day the lot. His manager in the Fans game was Ruud Gullit. :lol:

The other team had Karembeu managing them and had Edwin van der Sar's son in goal. Jealous as fuck.

Las Palmas really hitting some form now, hope luck is on our side in the play offs this year.

Managed to rest all our first eleven today as well.

How come you're a Las Palmas fan, mate?

Went on holiday to Gran Canaria a couple years ago, went to a Las Palmas game and I've followed them ever since really. Would love to go back and see another game there one day, hoping this is the year they can return to La Liga. They've been desperately unlucky in the play offs the last 2 years.

Lovely place to visit too and the locals were really canny to us while we were there.

They are favorites to go up. Maybe Valladolid can frustrate them, but they should comfortably beat any of Girona or Zaragoza at this point.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If Araujo and Viera can keep up the form they've been in over the past month or so, we'll have a great chance.

I'm a tad wary of Girona but I think they way they blew it yesterday will have affected them massively.

They are favorites to go up. Maybe Valladolid can frustrate them, but they should comfortably beat any of Girona or Zaragoza at this point.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If Araujo and Viera can keep up the form they've been in over the past month or so, we'll have a great chance.

I'm a tad wary of Girona but I think they way they blew it yesterday will have affected them massively.

Araujo just scored after 10 min in the away leg against Valladolid. Looking good.

Araujo just scored after 10 min in the away leg against Valladolid. Looking good.

The pitch  :lol:

How has it not been called off?

The pitch  :lol:

How has it not been called off?

Lack of dates, I presume. Still, it's pretty rare that we call off a game in La Liga; I have seen games being played in far worse conditions.

Bloody hell, that would have easily been off over here I reckon.

Valladolid were a little over physical, really hope them two red cards end up costing them in the second leg.

Bloody hell, that would have easily been off over here I reckon.

Valladolid were a little over physical, really hope them two red cards end up costing them in the second leg.

I remember a game we played in this very same stadium (Zorrilla), a decade ago, with a thick fog you couldn't see s***, yet it wasn't called off. You probably need a Mad Max apocalypse scenario to get a game called off around here.

Being physical is Valladolid's game. Get up close and personal and make things rough for the opposition. I think they went a tad overboard today though, I guess it's the occasion.

U20 World Cup has reached the knock-out stage. Brazil v Uruguay in OT right now and winner will play Portugal in quarters. Germany has been decent in the tournament and are probably through to the final with their side of the bracket looking quite easy unless Mali really are the real deal. Winner of Brazil/Uruguay and Portugal probably going through as well unless Senegal and Uzbekistan shocks everyone. US playing Serbia in one quarter-final but can't see any of them passing by a strong German side in the semi.

Been some entertaining teams in the tournament in terms of history. Myanmar (absolutely destroyed) and Fiji played and Argentina went out with 2p in their group with Panama, Austria and Ghana.

Brazil through on penalties. Were much much better than Uruguay and Man Utd player Pereira came off the bench and was close to score couple of times. Looked a very good prospect.