Starting Over - Splinter Club

Tiresias

It's been discussed, joked about, but how much longer can we go on like this? I know this message board doesn't reflect the full fanbase but surely there's got to be a reasonable number of people who want a football club that actually represents Newcastle proper. What would it actually take for it to happen? It would need a lot of dosh that nobody has is the main obstacle, could it be crowdfunded?

Why would it require money? I watched a documentary on English football not long ago, and there was an organisation helping fans out setting up splinter clubs, Don't remember their name, but fairly certain talking to them would be a good starting point.

We've got a perfectly good club there somewhere. If the fans were to mobilise I'd personally rather see efforts going towards reclaiming what we should already have.

It's been discussed, joked about, but how much longer can we go on like this? I know this message board doesn't reflect the full fanbase but surely there's got to be a reasonable number of people who want a football club that actually represents Newcastle proper. What would it actually take for it to happen? It would need a lot of dosh that nobody has is the main obstacle, could it be crowdfunded?

Why not ? Crowd funded probably and build a club we could be proud of, not necessarily best in England but one we could identify with.

We've got a perfectly good club there somewhere. If the fans were to mobilise I'd personally rather see efforts going towards reclaiming what we should already have.

I wish I thought we could, but it's all at the whim of madmen

This is something ive long called for and is easy to do in theory.

A club on the league ladder, in or around the city can be bought out and the name changed.  A location for a ground that has building potential is also something to consider.  Next and most importantly (or first depending on business plan), get a famous name eg Shearer, Keegan etc to form a consortium with their sole aim to provide a club that fits the criteria of the city of Newcastle.

The motif or slogan for the club is already written in that we dont demand a team that wins but a club that tries.

The higher up the league we go, the more the ground needs to expand with merchandise etc available from day one.

The team name can be available to vote on from the start but will have to have Newcastle in it.    Fan owned with yearly elections a must as well with rolling contracts for elected board members instead of long term deals

I can see the arguement for this and if it was to happen then I would give it my full support. With quite a heavy heart.

Personally I still think there is some slight hope that 'we' will regain NUFC after this vile owner and regime depart.

Timing is the key I guess. How long he will hang around etc is up for debate. I keep coming back to the 'you have no idea how nasty we can be' quote. If he continues to make money, however much, but if he turns a profit year on year I fear he may be here for a very long time.

In many ways it's up to those who haven't done as many of us have and make a stand. Keep away, give no financial support to his bastardised version of our great club, and ramp up the pressure on his tawdry stores as well.

I have doubts over many of our fanbase's ability to do this.

So in the near future we may have a decison to make re this kind of idea...

for me and going to the match I decided to do something else....

I have a confession of sorts to make, as I guess many of us may end up doing I have taken to seeing another.

I missed the football, the banter and the match day experience. So I have been going to watch one of my local sides, Stenhousemuir.

Felt weird at first. but it's a canny little club. Ran as a community initiative. OK, the standard is Scottish first division, at the moment! ('we' have a relegation play off v East Fife to play..Can't even pick a bloody 'second team' that's not a bit crap!') but the enjoyment has been back again.

So for the time being for me it's Howay the Warriors!!

I would be all over this, I can't really get behind Gateshead as I'm a north of the river guy, don't feel to much affinity for them. Newcastle City FC would be a great project. I think it has to be a complete fresh start, not some non league club, changing it's name.

Obviously as you point out it's not likely to happen without some serious money.

The idea of this feels great right now but what happens if in the future Ashley fucks off and NUFC is one again a club we can be proud of? Do we support 2 clubs in the same city? FC United are already 1 good season away from League Two aren't they? It doesn't take long for these clubs to climb the pyramid.

:thup:

Wouldn't begrudge anyone wanting to start a splinter club, I empathize with the sentiment. But the way I see it, the club is under the curse of one man and he won't be here forever. Impossible to say for how much longer, but we will be rid of him eventually.

I've been half-jokingly suggested this idea here and there for a few months now, and I honestly think it's the best possible course of action at this point.

NUFC might as well be Sports Direct United at this point and even if Ashley leaves, I'm not sure what we had with the club previously will be recoverable.

I'm obviously too far away to help out physically, but I'd be more than happy to donate money/time to the cause.

I wouldn't support a new team. I'd rather go and support my local Non league club which is what I'm going to do next season along with the 3 others I go to the match with who have all also cancelled their tickets for next season. There's 3 clubs within walking distance of where I live, Newcastle Benfield, West Allotment Celtic and Team Northumbria. I don't want to go and watch a bunch of students, and I wouldn't watch a team with Celtic in it's name so Newcastle Benfield is the obvious choice, they still have Newcastle in their name and now Blue Star no longer exist they are the city's 2nd team now. I know I'll enjoy it more as well and I'll save a small fortune.

:thup:

Wouldn't begrudge anyone wanting to start a splinter club, I empathize with the sentiment. But the way I see it, the club is under the curse of one man and he won't be here forever. Impossible to say for how much longer, but we will be rid of him eventually.

Ashley could be here for 15 more years though and I'd like to engage in a club in the meantime. As I see it, a splinter club does not mean you abandon NUFC forever.