FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

• 2 weeks later...

Want to get rid of corruption? Put an Italian in charge. What could go wrong?

[emoji38]

Not terribly hard to predict, but I'm calling it a win, anyway.

Fifa Italian: corruption squared[emoji38]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was 8, reduced to 6. Now Platini's has been reduced again to 4.

Give it a few months and he won't have a fucking ban

LBC Breaking ‏@lbcbreaking  18m18 minutes ago

UEFA president Michel Platini has had his ban from all football-related activity reduced to four years from six.

Was 8, reduced to 6. Now Platini's has been reduced again to 4.

Give it a few months and he won't have a f***ing ban

LBC Breaking ‏@lbcbreaking  18m18 minutes ago

UEFA president Michel Platini has had his ban from all football-related activity reduced to four years from six.

The ban's been upheld though, he's officially resigned as President of UEFA (a post to which he was never going to have returned) and that's it - we'll not see him again.

Don't get vexed about yesterday's men like this turd and the likes of Blatter and Warner - worry more about the fact that the new boss (Infantino) is as crooked as the last...

Domenico Scala, a Swiss businessman who led reforms to clean up scandal-plagued Fifa, has resigned his post at world football’s governing body, saying its independent watchdog committees had lost their independence.

Scala, head of the audit and compliance committee, said the reform of Fifa, which is attempting to recover from the worst scandal in its history, had been undermined following a resolution by the Fifa Congress on Friday.

The resolution, passed by 186 votes to one, gave the Fifa Council power to appoint or “dismiss any office holders” of its independent bodies such as the ethics committee and the audit and compliance committee.

This effectively gives the council, which has replaced the former executive committee and is headed by Fifa’s president, Gianni Infantino, the right to fire ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, ethics investigator Cornel Borbely and Scala himself.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/14/domenico-scala-fifa-auditor-resigns-protest

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36445879

Former high-ranking Fifa officials Sepp Blatter, Jerome Valcke and Markus Kattner awarded themselves pay rises and bonuses worth $80m (£55m) over five years, say Fifa lawyers.

Football's governing body revealed the contracts of ex-president Blatter, fired ex-secretary general Valcke and sacked former finance director Kattner one day after a Swiss police raid.

Fifa's lawyers said there was evidence that the trio made "a coordinated effort" to "enrich themselves" between 2011 and 2015.

• 3 months later...
GENEVA -- FIFA president Gianni Infantino is open to a 40-team World Cup in 2026, possibly with three North American countries serving as co-hosts.

With key World Cup talks due next month, Infantino's comments on Tuesday show that FIFA will consider co-hosting by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The North American neighbours have long been expected bidders for 2026, even competing against each other, because the CONCACAF region is favoured to host for the first time since 1994. Then, 24 teams played in the U.S.

In his presidential election campaign, Infantino supported expanding the tournament and hosting across a region.

''These two topics will certainly be on the table for discussion,'' Infantino said, looking ahead to a meeting of the FIFA Council he will chair on Oct. 13-14 in Zurich.

Asked about a potential U.S.-Canada-Mexico project for 2026, the former UEFA general secretary noted that his previous organisation chose to hold the 2020 European Championship in 13 different host nations.

''So, there is, I would say, no limit to whatever is good for football,'' Infantino said on the sidelines of a meeting of European clubs. ''We will see, but it's true that CONCACAF did not have the World Cup for a long time.''

FIFA rules currently bar back-to-back hosting by continents, ruling out Asian bidders for 2026 after Qatar hosts in 2022, and has previously weighed requiring confederations to sit out two bidding contests.

Infantino declined to suggest if UEFA could encourage its members to skip the 2026 process with Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup.

The 2026 World Cup hosting vote is set for 2020, with FIFA member federations choosing from a shortlist drafted by the ruling council.

"For the moment I think everything is open. My opinion on the 40 teams has not changed,'' Infantino said after meeting the European Club Association, many of whose members oppose releasing more of their players to an expanded World Cup.

While at UEFA, Infantino also helped oversee an expanded Euro 2016 with 24 teams for the first time instead of the 16-team format.

''We have seen it again at the Euro in France with eight more teams, what kind of enthusiasm this generated in many, many countries,'' he said. ''We need to realise that these kinds of events are more than just a competition, they are real social events in the whole world.''

In Zurich next month, Infantino will lead the first meeting of a FIFA Council being expanded to include 36 members elected by the six confederations.

Two European members have been scrutinised in recent weeks by the FIFA ethics committee.

Wolfgang Niersbach of Germany cannot attend in Zurich while he serves a one-year ban, imposed for failing to report suspected wrongdoing by 2006 World Cup organisers.

Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko was implicated by a World Anti-Doping Agency inquiry report in covering up football players' doping cases.

FIFA ethics investigators said it would get the report and ''examine it thoroughly.''

''I have no concerns at all with the council,'' Infantino said. ''It is our job not to let ourselves be distracted from what we have to do, which is implement the reforms and show we are a new FIFA.''

http://www.espnfc.com/blog-fifa/story/2944709/fifas-gianni-infantino-open-to-40-team-world-cup-and-co-hosting-by-several-countries

Mexico's third World Cup. America's second. What f***ing nonsense that the country who invented the game has only had it once and that before either  held it for the first time.

I think that's the attitude that stops anyone voting for England. Plus money, they must not bribe enough.

Mexico's third World Cup. America's second. What f***ing nonsense that the country who invented the game has only had it once and that before either  held it for the first time.

Think FIFA moved towards the idea of different Federations having it and since '94 Europe has had twice and will have it a 3rd time in Russia.

*Also Mexico has hosted it twice only because Colombia was unable to do it in 1986 and Mexico could do it on short notice.

I think that's the attitude that stops anyone voting for England. Plus money, they must not bribe enough.

I think the FA don't show that attitude enough if I'm being honest. It's a disgrace how few major football tournaments England has hosted.

Think FIFA moved towards the idea of different Federations having it and since '94 Europe has had twice and will have it a 3rd time in Russia.

Yes I know. Opening up the doors to a larger scale of corruption rather than taking the game worldwide I guess.