Charlie Austin

HawK

We need some fucking good service from somewhere, and not just from one/two positions..

Wijnaldum, De Jong, Sissoko and Aarons have enough about them in my opinion. It's a better creative group of players than most clubs outside the top six.

There's no depth though.

Although Austin is no longer priority (centre back), signing him will be a sign of a shift in transfer policy.

Would take our spending to 45m+ without selling anyone. That's a clear sign of progress.

I wouldn't object to them recouping some money off the likes of Cisse after.

Nothing I've seen from de Jong so far says to me that he's a creator. He seems like the kind of player getting on the end of balls. His movement off the ball seems to be his biggest asset.

No idea really about Wijnaldum yet.

We need some f***ing good service from somewhere, and not just from one/two positions..

Wijnaldum, De Jong, Sissoko and Aarons have enough about them in my opinion. It's a better creative group of players than most clubs outside the top six.

There's no depth though.

Add perez to that and you have some more attacking creativity

Nothing I've seen from de Jong so far says to me that he's a creator. He seems like the kind of player getting on the end of balls. His movement off the ball seems to be his biggest asset.

Movement off the ball is the best thing you can do to be creative. Passing AND movement.

Guest Rotor900

The majority of good service into the box may come from Janmaat and Haïdara. Both have a decent cross on them.

This.

I don't know if you watched the pre season games, but he does play alot of very quick one touch passes around the edge of the box. Most of which he played so quickly, Cisse completely ruined the attack as he failed to predict them coming his way. Think Sacramento was the game he tried a few.

He's certainly no playmaker like Cabaye, or No. 10 like Hatem though :thup:

I don't want Austin.  Assuming we're looking at going 4-2-3-1.  I'd rather we spend the money on another defender and someone with a bit of pace.  Who can play an attacking, creative and/or wide role.

As others have said, I don't see him and Mitrovic working that well as a front two.  Neither are going to be happy being on the bench too often and I don't particularly like 4-4-2 anyway.

I know we need competition for places.  But with our budget, I'd rather we spend money elsewhere.  This saga has been going on far too long any way.

I don't want Austin.  Assuming we're looking at going 4-2-3-1.  I'd rather we spend the money on another defender and someone with a bit of pace.  Who can play an attacking, creative and/or wide role.

As others have said, I don't see him and Mitrovic working that well as a front two.  Neither are going to be happy being on the bench too often and I don't particularly like 4-4-2 anyway.

I know we need competition for places.  But with our budget, I'd rather we spend money elsewhere.  This saga has been going on far too long any way.

Our players don't seem to fit 4-4-2 very well anyway.. No place for De Jong

Right hand side of a diamond or midfield 3 imo.

When have you ever seen a successful diamond formation in the premiership?

It's the stuff of fantasy. We've struggled to get a 433/451 system to work. The only real success we have ever had is with 442.

Liverpool when they finished second.

West Ham earlier in the season...

KK when the diamond had Geremi in it lol

I think most of the problems with diamonds come down to tactically inept players. Keegan used it a few times as did Hoddle for England I believe. Roy too. Not the PL but I think it can work with our squad.

Guest taps01

Right hand side of a diamond or midfield 3 imo.

When have you ever seen a successful diamond formation in the premiership?

It's the stuff of fantasy. We've struggled to get a 433/451 system to work. The only real success we have ever had is with 442.

Liverpool when they finished second.

West Ham earlier in the season...

KK when the diamond had Geremi in it lol

I think most of the problems with diamonds come down to tactically inept players. Keegan used it a few times as did Hoddle for England I believe. Roy too. Not the PL but I think it can work with our squad.

You need to have two very attacking full backs to offer the width and we do have that in Haidara and Janmaat.

People seem to be relying on haidara an awful lot while I do rate him I think he can be quite raw and he's had a few bad injuries. We really need to get another left back in if we are going to play this way

Guest taps01

Shame we only have one decent centreback (potentially) for this to work effectively without us conceding 4 every game.

Well yes there is that...Also a top class CDM would be needed.

People seem to be relying on haidara an awful lot while I do rate him I think he can be quite raw and he's had a few bad injuries. We really need to get another left back in if we are going to play this way

Guess the club see Dummett as a good enough back-up.

Always got Dummett for cover if we get another CB in, but I agree. We should never have let Santon go.

Assuming though that there is any chance of a diamond formation happening, Dummett doesn't really have the offensive ability to be relied upon for width.

Not that i believe it though, if McClaren was considering it he would have tried it at least once in pre season.

There’s also chatter that there are injury concerns and his medical record isn’t perfect, although what footballer’s record of knocks does read perfect?

They are all vulnerable in the 150mph lifestyle of playing matches, training and enduring bone-crunching bus and plane rides every other week."

:spit: