England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

There's no outrage if yous read like, it's utter bewilderment of his selections. 3 defensive midfielders, 2 of which are completely pointless, and then calling up Lewis Cook for no reason at all.

He's 'trying something different' though so it's sound. Jake Livermore is the future.

Jake Livermore is 27? ???

"x is the future" is a phrase to indicate that something is great and everyone needs to get on board (obviously I was being sarcastic). I didn't mean it to suggest I think Jake Livermore is 19 :lol:

My problem with his selections, mainly in midfield, is that unless he plans on playing Loftus-Cheek as part of a deep midfield 2 we're only going to have Harry Winks potentially offering us anything going forward in that role. I think we should be playing one of Dier or Henderson (probably Dier) with the other in reserve, taking either of Livermore or Cork to the World Cup seems like a massive waste of time.

Calling up the likes of Solanke, Cook and Gunn just seems like he's trying to be a clever cunt giving everyone their first taste of international football.

There's no outrage if yous read like, it's utter bewilderment of his selections. 3 defensive midfielders, 2 of which are completely pointless, and then calling up Lewis Cook for no reason at all.

He's 'trying something different' though so it's sound. Jake Livermore is the future.

Jake Livermore is 27? ???

"x is the future" is a phrase to indicate that something is great and everyone needs to get on board (obviously I was being sarcastic). I didn't mean it to suggest I think Jake Livermore is 19 :lol:

My problem with his selections, mainly in midfield, is that unless he plans on playing Loftus-Cheek as part of a deep midfield 2 we're only going to have Harry Winks potentially offering us anything going forward in that role. I think we should be playing one of Dier or Henderson (probably Dier) with the other in reserve, taking either of Livermore or Cork to the World Cup seems like a massive waste of time.

Calling up the likes of Solanke, Cook and Gunn just seems like he's trying to be a clever c*** giving everyone their first taste of international football.

That's part of the reason why people are defending him though. If he actually does something clever you say it just seems like he's trying to be a clever cunt :lol:. He can't win.

I totally agree with your comments on the midfield. I cannot understand why Livermore keeps getting picked, unless it's continuity, and I haven't got a lot of faith in Southgate's tactical acumen. The one thing I do like is that at least we seem to be trying to play as a team with a plan. The problem is that we have a couple of really good players and then a sea of mediocrity, which means that almost every PL team has a couple of players you could make a case for picking that are getting overlooked.

The most obvious problem is that he has persisted with Hart for so long. Everything else is relatively trivial.

What's clever about calling up young players who aren't anywhere near good enough yet though? Calling up Winks was 'clever' because Winks is now good enough to be playing regularly in Pochettino's side. Loftus-Cheek looks promising and already capable of having a decent season in the Premiership. The other three though have done nowt, like literally nothing.

I completely forgot about Hart tbh :lol: If he's first choice when Russia comes I give in like, it's irredeemable at that point.

9 months from a world cup isn't the time to be giving players who have no chance of playing in the world cup a chance

In general i agree, but this isn't the World Cup that realistically we are going to compete so building for future tournaments beyond that isn't the worst idea.

Hope we batter you guys on Tuesday so Southgate wakes up. Really want England to do well next year.

A battering from a mediocre Brazil side won't do anything especially as we'll have a  virtual 3rd choice line-up

Mediocre? Or best team in the world right now?

I'll believe they're the best team when I see them produce it in the world cup proper. There's always loads of hype about Brazil which they struggle to justify in recent times.

We'll probably be looking to maintain possession in atleast 2 of our group games, and perhaps the Last 16 if we get there. If we are playing on the counter against the top sides though then we'll still need a player who can damage them when we have the ball. Look at Shelvey against Liverpool.

The current England is shit regardless (compared to the other "big" nations) for now. Think in four years time when the young players have some more experience you'll possibly be in a position to challenge for a WC, but it all depends on how well those talents are nurtured. That said, going by past examples, they don't get nurtured well.

Think a major issue is that none of your players go play outside of England and would rather pick up their massive paychecks laying for Man City reserves than aspiring to win trophies with clubs that might not pay as much. Development just halts for these players, and the cycle begins anew with young hungry players coming up, doing well, getting bought by big PL clubs giving them fat paychecks to play for their reserves removing all ambition and hunger in the process.

What is the point in calling up and playing players who will be (or should be) nowhere near the World Cup squad? There must be at least 6 or 7 strikers ahead of Solanke in the pecking order. We should be using these games to prepare for the upcoming tournament.

Could we not wait until after the World Cup and play Solanke in one of the daft games against San Marino/Malta/Gibraltar in the next qualification phase? Maybe by then he might have scored a PL goal :lol:

As for Gunn and Cook :lol: Jesus wept.

What is the point in calling up and playing players who will be (or should be) nowhere near the World Cup squad? There must be at least 6 or 7 strikers ahead of Solanke in the pecking order. We should be using these games to prepare for the upcoming tournament.

Could we not wait until after the World Cup and play Solanke in one of the daft games against San Marino/Malta/Gibraltar in the next qualification phase? Maybe by then he might have scored a PL goal :lol:

As for Gunn and Cook :lol: Jesus wept.

What senior players who haven't featured are all of a sudden going to be going to Russia though? We've seen people like Kevin Davies win an England cap when we know fine well he'd never be a regular in the squad or play at a major championships. Solanke, Gunn & Cook have very good chances of being key players in the England squad in the next 4 years or so. I'd sooner see these get experience training in this set up, being in a matchday squad at Wembley against Brazil, than for instance, Troy Deeney or some other average player who's just having a bit of a purple patch.

We need to stop trying to be what we're not. So far we've tried to be Italy, France, Spain and Germany and we're still s***. Now we're not just s***, we're boring as f*** as well.

I just want a manager with a pair of balls to play an old school English 4-4-2. Andy Carroll or Kane alongside Vardy or Rashford, 2 wingers who cross the ball, 2 fullbacks who cross the ball and a proper maverick central midfielder in the Peter Beardsley role.

I'm not talking about Tony Pulis-style long ball turgid shitball, i'm talking about attacking football using width, aerial presence and pace. 

f*** all this tippy tappy s****. International football is stale and it needs a shake-up.

I'd say Wilshere and Shelvey are statistically more likely to be at the 2020 Euros and the 2022 World Cup than Cook like given that they've actually shown themselves to be of atleast Premiership quality :lol:

Both should obviously be ahead in the pecking order for Russia so completely ignoring them in preparation games to instead hoy out token call-ups and utter shite like Livermore is, imo, completely fucking weird.