England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

That simple huh :lol:

I appreciate it’s not that simple but I reckon opposition defenders would be a lot less comfortable defending against a style they’re unfamiliar facing than the predictable Shite we’ve been peddling for the past 15 years. It’d also be a lot more entertaining to watch.

We have the highest tempo, most entertaining league in the world and yet when it comes to England we play slow, methodical boring football that ultimately gets us nowhere. We try to keep the ball like Spain, which we’re totally incapable of doing and we’re completely devoid of a player in the current setup who can unlock a defence.

If it’s not time to try something different now, it never will be.

Wilshere has played 25 minutes of PL football. 25.

He's also played 496 minutes of other first team football. 496 (Four hundred and ninety six)

According to whoscored he's managed 317 minutes total. That's 3.5 games worth of football.

Let him concentrate on staying fit, getting regular football at Arsenal and let's see where he is next year. For the past 3/4 years there's been a rush to get him involved with England and it hasn't helped him.

His manager has literally said he's fit and that he wants him in the England side.

"Personally I think he is ready," said Wenger. "He was not three weeks ago but he is today. I have the same problem [as Southgate], he is competitive for me as well.

"In every competition he is ready to play. I would encourage him to do it.

"I personally think that with a super-fit Jack - I don't know how you can keep him out of the English squad."

"For the last three weeks he has been treated completely like any other player."

We need to stop trying to be what we're not. So far we've tried to be Italy, France, Spain and Germany and we're still s***. Now we're not just s***, we're boring as f*** as well.

I just want a manager with a pair of balls to play an old school English 4-4-2. Andy Carroll or Kane alongside Vardy or Rashford, 2 wingers who cross the ball, 2 fullbacks who cross the ball and a proper maverick central midfielder in the Peter Beardsley role.

I'm not talking about Tony Pulis-style long ball turgid shitball, i'm talking about attacking football using width, aerial presence and pace. 

f*** all this tippy tappy s****. International football is stale and it needs a shake-up.

I actually agree with some of this, but all I could think when reading it was:

Tn1Wng9I.jpg

Don't they usually just add the u21s when it's a friendly because they're simply already there so can crack on straight away?

Aye. If it was a Qualifier and points were at stake then fair enough. Pick your best available players or purple patch players to get a performance and a result even if they're not in the long term plans.

For this though, it's a great opportunity for those young players.

We need to stop trying to be what we're not. So far we've tried to be Italy, France, Spain and Germany and we're still s***. Now we're not just s***, we're boring as f*** as well.

I just want a manager with a pair of balls to play an old school English 4-4-2. Andy Carroll or Kane alongside Vardy or Rashford, 2 wingers who cross the ball, 2 fullbacks who cross the ball and a proper maverick central midfielder in the Peter Beardsley role.

I'm not talking about Tony Pulis-style long ball turgid shitball, i'm talking about attacking football using width, aerial presence and pace. 

f*** all this tippy tappy s****. International football is stale and it needs a shake-up.

Isn't this what Hodgson tried, 442 and Carroll. Until Italy's midfield four beat the shit out of England's midfield two.

The Premier League isn't the most entertaining league in the world like.

In terms of a spectacle it's dog shit outside of Man City and Spurs at the moment. Liverpool and Arsenal are ok to watch but their style is hyped up. After that there's there's nothing, and far too many managers are getting credit for being organised and defensive and nothing more, it's the easiest way to play.

Isn't this what Hodgson tried, 442 and Carroll. Until Italy's midfield four beat the s*** out of England's midfield two.

If England play 4-4-2 who on earth do you play as the central midfield pair?

I just cannot see it ever working. There are no midfield two that can be solid and yet get the ball forward also.

It would probably end up being Henderson and Dier man! Can you imagine the horror show :lol:

In terms of a spectacle it's dog s*** outside of Man City and Spurs at the moment. Liverpool and Arsenal are ok to watch but their style is hyped up. After that there's there's nothing, and far too many managers are getting credit for being organised and defensive and nothing more, it's the easiest way to play.

Name a better league in terms of entertainment? There’s only one decent game in the Spanish league and that’s El Classico. Series A is shit, the Dutch league is shit, the French league is shit, there’s only one game worth watching in the German league. For pure entertainment and unpredictability the PL is the best in the world, hence why it’s watched all over the world.

Premierleague is a bit like international football in the main. High pressure, high stakes. Sometimes great for drama but so many teams setup to be defensive. A few good and entertaining sides. A few bad and entertaining sides (because they can't defend) the rest just utterly boring. Including us.

I watch a midtable La Liga clash and it seems carefree in comparison to the PL.  Far more expressive.

His manager has literally said he's fit and that he wants him in the England side.

"Personally I think he is ready," said Wenger. "He was not three weeks ago but he is today. I have the same problem [as Southgate], he is competitive for me as well.

"In every competition he is ready to play. I would encourage him to do it.

"I personally think that with a super-fit Jack - I don't know how you can keep him out of the English squad."

"For the last three weeks he has been treated completely like any other player."

Arsene Wenger treats Jack Wilshere like his son. I don't care what he has to say about him. Just get him playing regularly and he'll go to Russia and probably start.

In terms of a spectacle it's dog s*** outside of Man City and Spurs at the moment. Liverpool and Arsenal are ok to watch but their style is hyped up. After that there's there's nothing, and far too many managers are getting credit for being organised and defensive and nothing more, it's the easiest way to play.

Name a better league in terms of entertainment? There’s only one decent game in the Spanish league and that’s El Classico. Series A is shit, the Dutch league is shit, the French league is shit, there’s only one game worth watching in the German league. For pure entertainment and unpredictability the PL is the best in the world, hence why it’s watched all over the world.

Do you watch Serie A or La Liga?

Name a better league in terms of entertainment? There’s only one decent game in the Spanish league and that’s El Classico. Series A is s***, the Dutch league is s***, the French league is s***, there’s only one game worth watching in the German league. For pure entertainment and unpredictability the PL is the best in the world, hence why it’s watched all over the world.

Not any more. I used to watch loads of football but I just find it too slow and boring in comparison. To be fair I only really watch us and the big games in the Premier League now as well.

There’s no doubt that players in other leagues are technically superior but for me the leagues aren’t anywhere near as entertaining. In fact I’d rather watch the Championship

The average La Liga game is waaaay more entertaining than your average PL game.

They play football as if they are trying to improve the team and players as much as they focus on getting points.

You know... pass it... take him on.. go on and express yourself. If you lose it trying to beat a man the crowd won't moan and groan.

Name a better league in terms of entertainment? There’s only one decent game in the Spanish league and that’s El Classico. Series A is s***, the Dutch league is s***, the French league is s***, there’s only one game worth watching in the German league. For pure entertainment and unpredictability the PL is the best in the world, hence why it’s watched all over the world.

Not any more. I used to watch loads of football but I just find it too slow and boring in comparison. To be fair I only really watch us and the big games in the Premier League now as well.

There’s no doubt that players in other leagues are technically superior but for me the leagues aren’t anywhere near as entertaining. In fact I’d rather watch the Championship

Serie A especially is really entertaining this season. Real Madrid and Barca aren't just hammering teams every week this season either

Has more to do with availability and hype. Once the Bundesliga became readily available over here, the interest in it has skyrocketed. The top English league has been on over here since the 60s or something, it's not because it's the most entertaining league. It's because it's always been available, and that's why most Norwegians follow English teams. It's what we've all grown up being familiar with, and up until recent years we had more English games on TV every weekend than we had Norwegian games.

The PL is the most "serious" league I think.

La Liga is far more relaxed. Which for me makes it more entertaining. Far more expressive. Sometimes the crowds are extremely quiet and barely seem to care. And the refereeing is comedic. The PL is far superior in that regard despite what we say. The league isn't filled with managers in the Pulis, Allardyce vein.

The PL is a better product from a marketing perspective. Better funded. Go abroad and you'll see advertising and games on. Also the most diverse in terms of nationalities so there's more vested interests.

Guest Howaythetoon

I probably watch just as much overseas footy as over here. Wich isn't much granted, but it's undeniable to me anyway, that the PL is the most exciting. The best? Highly debatable, but as contests goes, it pisses all over the other leagues IMO.

I probably watch just as much overseas footy as over here. Wich isn't much granted, but it's undeniable to me anyway, that the PL is the most exciting. The best? Highly debatable, but as contests goes, it pisses all over the other leagues IMO.

I don't get what people mean by this - "as contests?"

It's diabolical as a contest the PL. So many teams are happy to keep it tight for 90 minutes. So many teams s*** scared to play football. Beyond the top teams - Watford play a bit of decent football. Bournemouth and Swansea try but don't look like scoring. Southampton? Utterly boring. WBA - boring. NUFC - boring. Brigthon - boring. Stoke - boring. Burnley - boring.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's diabolical as a contest the PL. So many teams are happy to keep it tight for 90 minutes. So many teams s*** scared to play football. Beyond the top teams - Watford play a bit of decent football. Bournemouth and Swansea try but don't look like scoring. Southampton? Utterly boring. WBA - boring. NUFC - boring. Brigthon - boring. Stoke - boring. Burnley - boring.

It's more about how any one team can beat any team, again as a contest it's quite exciting or fairly open. Take Burnley beating the Champions in their own back yard or bottom side Palace beating them, without a goal or a point prior. Would that happen in La Liga, Italy or in Germany? The quality of player is slightly higher abroad and maybe even the actual football, but nowhere is a game more evenly contested than in the PL, and that's what makes it so special and enjoying. Not to this old cynic, but to a global audience. There is no denying this, hence the huge viewing figures and interest in our game. There is an intensity to the PL that has no rival either. That's down to the rivalry in our game and the physical element. Like it or not, the PL is for more exciting as a contest between two sides than any other league and I'm it's biggest critic, or one of them. The quality is often poor to average and rarely special these days, but when it clicks it's special. Extra special and thing abroad can match that outside of El Classico.

It's more about how any one team can beat any team, again as a contest it's quite exciting or fairly open. Take Burnley beating the Champions in their own back yard or bottom side Palace beating them, without a goal or a point prior. Would that happen in La Liga, Italy or in Germany? The quality of player is slightly higher abroad and maybe even the actual football, but nowhere is a game more evenly contested than in the PL, and that's what makes it so special and enjoying. Not to this old cynic, but to a global audience. There is no denying this, hence the huge viewing figures and interest in our game. There is an intensity to the PL that has no rival either. That's down to the rivalry in our game and the physical element. Like it or not, the PL is for more exciting as a contest between two sides than any other league and I'm it's biggest critic, or one of them. The quality is often poor to average and rarely special these days, but when it clicks it's special. Extra special and thing abroad can match that outside of El Classico.

Girona beat Real Madrid a few weeks ago, Betis beat Real Madrid a few weeks before that

Guest firetotheworks

Girona beat Real Madrid a few weeks ago, Betis beat Real Madrid a few weeks before that

As did Spurs. Real Madrid clearly aren't at their best at the moment, I think HTT's point still stands because it's a regular occurrence in the PL. Personally I think the overall quality in the league this season is much higher than it has been - mainly due to the promoted teams being a lot stronger than the teams that came up last season, as well as Sunderland finally no longer stinking out the league.