England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

England need Jonjo  :smug: He can cause more damage in this kind of set up than the current bunch. I'd have him beside Dier. Shelvey is pretty much better than Henderson in every area, even tackling & tracking I would say (based on the past year or so).

The slowest pairing in the history of football.

Probably like  :lol: Sit them deep & keep the running to a minimum.

Guest firetotheworks

By the time it's worked out who we should play Foden, Sancho, Mount, and Sessegnon will hopefully be ready to go anyway.

Leicester's Maddison is going to be very special I think. They should get him involved as soon as possible.

He reminds me of Perez. Has to improve his releasing of the ball/decision making and he could be a good player, aye.

He's much better than Perez, but I kinda see the comparison. It's his first season at this level so he's got time to learn, unlike Ayoze.

Henderson did a decent job at the World Cup. I know he's a bit limited, but I think he's getting a raw deal. You need somebody of that ilk in there, we just don't have anyone like that who's good enough on the ball at the top top level.

Harry Winks (don't laugh), when fit, is really good at wanting the ball, taking it ball under pressure and distributing it intelligently. We do need somebody like that, but it would be nice to have a bit more muscle. Alli might evolve into that player, but he's definitely not there yet, if he gets there at all. Definitely more of a Lampard. My concern with Shelvey - and I stress I haven't seen much of him in the last couple of years - is that he regularly seemed to have periods where he faded from the play, which in his position is a real issue. I also have reservations about his ability at the top level, but if we don't try it, we'll never know. We're not exactly blessed at that position.

When did Ali last have a decent game for England? Whether it's the system or not in the position he is playing doesn't deserve to be in the team

argument as old as time though, him and kane are great for spurs so they should be able to do it for england etc.

put shelvey in that team with 2 sitting behind him and alli, kane, sterling up front it'll work...

I like the look of Chilwell.

I like him too. Didn't realize he was only 21. That's good news.

Also if you're going to call those two up, you might as well bring in Maddison. Know he's with the u21s but for the next one at least.

I'm all for trying anything. Hopefully Harry Winks can get his fitness together. I don't really see what he does but he always gets rave reviews. We've also got Barkley who should get the chance under Southgate.

Awful performance and only bright point was Rashford ,so limited with ideas and simply cannot compete with the better teams anymore ,no plan b anymore and woeful run since 1988 with 3 defeats on the belt potentially 4 after Switzerland, Shelvey when fit and in form should be in .

I legit don't like 3-5-2 in general. Of course certain teams can pull it off and play some very nice football through it but usually we're talking about five natural defenders on the pitch, in this instance arguably six and in most cases no natural wingers - the players I enjoy watching the most. Don't blame anyone for liking it tho if it works for their teams of course but as a neutral I hate it.

Schär starts in a 3-5-2

I legit don't like 3-5-2 in general. Of course certain teams can pull it off and play some very nice football through it but usually we're talking about five natural defenders on the pitch, in this instance arguably six and in most cases no natural wingers - the players I enjoy watching the most. Don't blame anyone for liking it tho if it works for their teams of course but as a neutral I hate it.

Alexander-Arnold is in no way a natural defender like.

Just curious, would you argue he's a wing-back rather? I wouldn't. Either way, the biggest gripe I usually have with 3-5-2 is the lack of natural wingers. Some teams like Juve can make use of the system in creating attacking football but let's face it, most teams that use the 3-5-2 system are interested in taking advantage of three centre backs and therefore being extra solid at the back.