England

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Southgate is a nice guy, poor tactician but he has something that a lot of managers don't, luck. You can only beat what's in front of you but boy has he been lucky at times. He made the right subs today, probably 10 or 15 minutes too late, but it paid off.

I don't personally believe in luck like.

He has been but yi kna. :lol:

To break it down slightly beyond that... I think he has been blinkered and stubborn and when the changes that the majority of the country would have suggested were made, he has seen how it works.

I just feel he will always be safe in his approach, with fine tuning either way to try and establish his needs. He gets away with it with Engand because the quality is there (usually) but otherwise he is fucked. Hence why it works now but not at domestic level.

He's had plenty shite opponents but you can only beat what's in front of you. He is a nice guy. He has every individuals interest at heart albeit he may not play them all, and he has the respect of the group, it would seem, as a man, moreover than a manager.

For that reason, the world class talent in some areas is enough to bring it home. Because they respect him enough to try enough.

I've been super critical of him, but after tonight where England finally looked more like England, let's go get it man. It's ours for the taking.

9 minutes ago, Heron said:

I don't personally believe in luck like.

He has been but yi kna. :lol:

To break it down slightly beyond that... I think he has been blinkered and stubborn and when the changes that the majority of the country would have suggested were made, he has seen how it works.

I just feel he will always be safe in his approach, with fine tuning either way to try and establish his needs. He gets away with it with Engand because the quality is there (usually) but otherwise he is fucked. Hence why it works now but not at domestic level.

He's had plenty shite opponents but you can only beat what's in front of you. He is a nice guy. He has every individuals interest at heart albeit he may not play them all, and he has the respect of the group, it would seem, as a man, moreover than a manager.

For that reason, the world class talent in some areas is enough to bring it home. Because they respect him enough to try enough.

I've been super critical of him, but after tonight where England finally looked more like England, let's go get it man. It's ours for the taking.

Absolutely, we were the England we've all been crying out for all tournament for lage swathes of that game and especially the first half was great to watch. I 100% agree with you on Southgate, I understand how he plays and I completely get it but I just don't agree with it with the players we have. But who am I to judge when we've just reached our 2nd final in 3 years! If he brings it home Sunday I will eat every last word I've ever said about him :lol:

Ideally, we probably need a fairly comfortable Spain win in the final. Enough for the English press to give Southgate pelters and get him sacked but not enough to stop Man Utd employing him in November.

Name is on the trophy , Spain are vastly the superior outfit but you look at England and the way they have got to the final, beating three lesser teams with last minute goals and penalty shootouts despite playing poorly and you can't help but think they are going to win it .

I genuinely think Southgate deserves some respect on his name-

We obviously are not hitting the highs we could do but we are there and I think we could do this

Two different sides of management:

1. Building a strong team spirit, bonding the players, professional standards, diligent work ethics

2. Tactical, technical, in game management, motivation, clear messaging.

Gareth is superb at the first and below average at the second.

In club football, he wouldn't last in the PL. If he has any sense, he will avoid club football and stick to international football. Could see him building the US team for example.

I've got nothing respect for him as a bloke.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Two different sides of management:

1. Building a strong team spirit, bonding the players, professional standards, diligent work ethics

2. Tactical, technical, in game management, motivation, clear messaging.

Gareth is superb at the first and below average at the second.

In club football, he wouldn't last in the PL. If he has any sense, he will avoid club football and stick to international football. Could see him building the US team for example.

I've got nothing respect for him as a bloke.

Missed a "but", surely 😉

If England win on Sunday, then Southgate is England’s greatest manager for me.  The Euros is not as prestigious as the WC, but winning it on foreign soil, and also reaching a final, a semi and a QF previously would mean his record is superior to his predecessors.  He would’ve needed to beat a very good (though not great) Spain side, and therefore have finally overcome the obstacle that most England managers don’t - getting past the first really good side they face.  Southgate to date hasn’t improved upon his predecessors in that regard - beat Spain, and he has. 

I also think he’s a thoroughly mediocre manager and a poor tactician, and has been blessed with some phenomenally fortunate cup draws and a generation of talent which is the product of St George’s academy and the vast improvements in PL academies over the last decade.

These are not contradictory positions. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Puppets said:

This tournament has taught me one thing. I genuinely don’t give a shit about England winning anything. I feel absolutely nothing for them 😬

Yet you felt enough to come in here and tell everyone that you feel nothing :lol:

7 hours ago, tgarve said:

I genuinely think Southgate deserves some respect on his name-

We obviously are not hitting the highs we could do but we are there and I think we could do this

We were literally a couple of minutes of going out to Slovakia in the first knock out stage after playing some absolutely dire stuff. Even with the luck of the draw we've squeezed through at every stage. I suppose you could give him credit for getting the penalties sorted assuming he had anything to do with it, but I just think you could put any manager in charge of this England squad and they would have got at least as good results.

1 hour ago, Bizza said:

Yet you felt enough to come in here and tell everyone that you feel nothing :lol:

Yeah, I felt strongly enough to come in here and share my opinion on what I’ve watched and how little I’m interested in the outcome 👍

42 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Yeah, I felt strongly enough to come in here and share my opinion on what I’ve watched and how little I’m interested in the outcome 👍

Why are you watching if you don't care?

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I just think you could put any manager in charge of this England squad and they would have got at least as good results.

England have had better squads than this and not made consecutive euro finals mind , it's not as easy as the Southgate haters like to make out . I couldn't care less about England really but the abuse Southgate has had to endure from the majority is madness when you look at what he has achieved. England don't deserve to win on Sunday based on that alone .

4 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

This tournament has taught me one thing. I genuinely don’t give a shit about England winning anything. I feel absolutely nothing for them 😬

One edgy man

Hate it so much you come into an England page on a forum to announce that 😂😂😂😂

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

That's my job, M.

:lol: Well clock the fuck in motherfucker. Eating ice cream on bicycles like there ain't work to do.

17 minutes ago, tgarve said:

One edgy man

Hate it so much you come into an England page on a forum to announce that 😂😂😂😂

Hardly edgy 😁

I guess I’m just trying to understand why I don’t feel anything for them. Like, I know I should, because I’m English and I love football, but it’s been weird. I’ve watched pretty much every single game of this Euros, and I’ve found myself being far more intensely involved in other games (for example Georgia’s run, and Turkey) than England. I’m struggling to compute why the emotion just isn’t hitting me with them. The Watkin’s goal last night was brilliant… an outstanding finish… but I hardly flinched when it went in.

Tell me why I don’t feel anything, because I don’t understand 😁