England

Nobody

14 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

England need a striker badly, mind. Kane is now a massive weak link in games like that. 

I'm starting to think this as well, Toney looks like he's cashed out, Watkins looks like he is a better fit than Kane, without trying to be a total dick here, Greenwood might be the best option if he wasn't a massive cunt 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

How come we don’t like Kane any more? 

Got to respect him. Never, personally, liked the dirty get.

I think current grumblings are because he smacks of that lumbering Sunday League teammate who is ten years older than the rest, but was ‘once on the books of …’ and can kick a ball straighter and harder than everyone else so you just let him do his stuff and hope the ball fall to him in and around the box. (That metaphor wasn’t meant to be as disrespectful as it sounds). 

Not going to read too much into yesterday’s match, positively or negatively… but as we’ve all seen it’s pretty clear how much stronger England could have been simply by playing more positively and using wingers that stretch the defence. Southgate had an absolute stinker setting us up with no genuine left-winger or left-back. Made it so easy for significantly weaker teams to defend against a team that virtually doesn’t use one of its wings. And it wouldn’t have taken a tactical genius to get us to look half-decent and threatening against footballing giants of Serbia, Slovenia and Slovakia if you can get the basics of selection right. 

10 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

How come we don’t like Kane any more? 

I like him, but he’s clearly not the one if you want to build something for the next World Cup. He’s older, slower and has become very predictable.

11 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

0 saves required from Vlachodimos, somewhat takes the shine off his clean sheet. 

IMG_9333.thumb.jpeg.ea361c8ba315831749c1923f0b430db7.jpeg

IMG_9334.thumb.jpeg.461ff577443d5ef665b47bc838850e37.jpeg

Yea our goalie gifted the first and then it was game over. Going to be ugly on Tuesday. 

On 08/09/2024 at 13:25, leffe186 said:

Have to see how he does this season first tbh. Possibly though.

What’s your current thoughts on Kane as gatherer you’ll still watch him fairly closely even if just for England (if not Bayern) and obviously all the years he was with you?

I got a bit of stick at the start of the Euros saying Spurs sold him at the best time and his decline had began as his first season in Germany progressed into 2024.

As NUFC fan it just smacks of when we had Shearer those last couple of seasons. 

Although I’d never want to change him getting his record from Milburn for him on a personal level, if he played in the current financial parameters of PSR it be interesting if modern day fans would’ve wanted the club to take the deal when SBR and Liverpool were talking about a transfer.

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

What’s your current thoughts on Kane as gatherer you’ll still watch him fairly closely even if just for England (if not Bayern) and obviously all the years he was with you?

I got a bit of stick at the start of the Euros saying Spurs sold him at the best time and his decline had began as his first season in Germany progressed into 2024.

As NUFC fan it just smacks of when we had Shearer those last couple of seasons. 

Although I’d never want to change him getting his record from Milburn for him on a personal level, if he played in the current financial parameters of PSR it be interesting if modern day fans would’ve wanted the club to take the deal when SBR and Liverpool were talking about a transfer.

I think we got the most amount of money we could have from selling him. Would still have liked to see him stay to see what would have happened tbh but que sera sera.

He’s an incredibly clever player who throughout his career has got the absolute maximum out of his talent and body. I just wonder if he can do that effectively any more for England, or for a team that isn’t built to his needs. For the Rice goal he makes a lovely little move to be in exactly the right place for the Gordon pass/cross, then is just a hair slow on execution. Earlier on he was in exactly the right place for that early cross in (from TAA?) then failed to bury the free header. Sure, it was a way out, but a couple of years ago that’s a goal.

You make it work by having fast wide players who can also press (Gordon, Saka) and box-to-box midfielders who can go past him as well (Rice? Jude B). What probably doesn‘t work any more is a #10, as you get 1.5 players for the price of 2. Kane can still do a job for England - I think - but (a) is it more effective than the alternatives and (b) does the fact that he’s so unique in the squad mean that it‘s too difficult to make an in-game change if it’s not working?

Wish we had a better alternative tbh. Not sure who’s coming through the youth ranks either.

Hasn't escaped my attention that in three consecutive England games this week we saw Trevan Sanusi score and be named MOM Anthony Gordon be named MOM Lewis Hall 2 assists and MOM

In addition Tonali was named MOM for Italy with a brilliant game and assist

The future does indeed look bright for Newcastle too despite a difficult summer. 

5 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Hasn't escaped my attention that in three consecutive England games this week we saw Trevan Sanusi score and be named MOM Anthony Gordon be named MOM Lewis Hall 2 assists and MOM

In addition Tonali was named MOM for Italy with a brilliant game and assist

The future does indeed look bright for Newcastle too despite a difficult summer. 

All of these England players play on the left side

We need a RW equivalent!

But yes I agree

The team is definitely on the up. That's probably why there was so much frustration in the summer, it's not far from completion so it was a missed opportunity 

Let's not forget Isak who scored 3 in 2 games

2 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

All of these England players play on the left side

We need a RW equivalent!

But yes I agree

The team is definitely on the up. That's probably why there was so much frustration in the summer, it's not far from completion so it was a missed opportunity 

Let's not forget Isak who scored 3 in 2 games

Tino is one, we just need Guehi and a RW

26 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I'm hoping for a goal and 60 more minutes in the legs of Gordon. Tino on for the second half when England are already a couple up would do nicely too.

Obligatory hope he doesn't get injured post.

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

hideous couple of anthems

Couldn’t agree more, a national anthem about an individual as opposed to the country it’s supposed to represent.

edit to say only in reference to England, don’t know anything about the Finish one.

Edited by SAK