England

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

I miss the days of Stuart Pearce and Gascoigne. Sheer passion.

People say this and think it's what's missing, but forget that they were also obscenely talented players. I'm not saying that's what you're doing btw, just something I've noticed.

Depiction of Russia as some horrific hellscape is such absurd sensationalism. :lol: It's only visa restrictions and an extra couple of flight hours stopping them being visited in the same way lots of the new EU countries are.

Moscow and St Petersburg are class, and a lot of the smaller cities look worth a visit - none of them being particularly far east other than Yekaterinburg. Weather will be scorching that time of the year as well.

I think 1996 was our best team in the last 25 years. That pool of players to choose from was absolutely ridiculous, especially when you look at some of the players who missed out. If we're talking since 1998 then I'd probably go with 2002-2004. We should have done much more than we did with that team.

I miss the days of Stuart Pearce and Gascoigne. Sheer passion.

People say this and think it's what's missing, but forget that they were also obscenely talented players. I'm not saying that's what you're doing btw, just something I've noticed.

Aye. You make a valid point.  The reason I say it is from a supporting point of view rather than analysing the quality of our play. It irritates me that I struggle to connect with the current England lot. I'm a patriotic kinda guy and I literally don't give a shit about England other than at major tournaments.

Just so lack a dominant midfielder  who can drive, disrupt and motivate the rest . All we have are kind of 'pretty ' players ... nice touches and good when it's going well but disappear when it's tough. Might sound old fashioned but when it's not working someone needs to be shouting and Kane is not a captain

Just so lack a dominant midfielder  who can drive, disrupt and motivate the rest . All we have are kind of 'pretty ' players ... nice touches and good when it's going well but disappear when it's tough. Might sound old fashioned but when it's not working someone needs to be shouting and Kane is not a captain

We had Gerrard in that mould and he didn't really do much for us.

We had Gerrard in that mould and he didn't really do much for us.

Aye true  too many Hollywood passes,  I guess it was the fighter element I was trying to characterise.

Guest firetotheworks

Hindsight and all that, but it is canny mad how everyone was obsessed with Gerrard and Lampard, when Scholes was still knocking about.

I think 1996 was our best team in the last 25 years. That pool of players to choose from was absolutely ridiculous, especially when you look at some of the players who missed out. If we're talking since 1998 then I'd probably go with 2002-2004. We should have done much more than we did with that team.

Euro 96 - Did Rob Lee and Pedro not get into the squad (along with Batty)? Seem to remember Steve bloody Stone getting in

Don't think Sir Les got in either

Fewmin!!

Euro 96 - Did Rob Lee and Pedro not get into the squad (along with Batty)? Seem to remember Steve bloody Stone getting in

Fewmin!!

1 GK David Seaman 19 September 1963 (aged 32) 24 England Arsenal

2 DF Gary Neville 18 February 1975 (aged 21) 10 England Manchester United

3 DF Stuart Pearce 24 April 1962 (aged 34) 65 England Nottingham Forest

4 MF Paul Ince 21 October 1967 (aged 28) 19 Italy Internazionale

5 DF Tony Adams (captain) 10 October 1966 (aged 29) 40 England Arsenal

6 DF Gareth Southgate 3 September 1970 (aged 25) 4 England Aston Villa

7 MF David Platt 10 June 1966 (aged 29) 58 England Arsenal

8 MF Paul Gascoigne 27 May 1967 (aged 29) 38 Scotland Rangers

9 FW Alan Shearer 13 August 1970 (aged 25) 23 England Blackburn Rovers

10 FW Teddy Sheringham 2 April 1966 (aged 30) 15 England Tottenham Hotspur

11 MF Darren Anderton 3 March 1972 (aged 24) 11 England Tottenham Hotspur

12 DF Steve Howey 26 October 1971 (aged 24) 4 England Newcastle United

13 GK Tim Flowers 3 February 1967 (aged 29) 8 England Blackburn Rovers

14 MF Nick Barmby 11 February 1974 (aged 22) 6 England Middlesbrough

15 MF Jamie Redknapp 25 June 1973 (aged 22) 4 England Liverpool

16 DF Sol Campbell 18 September 1974 (aged 21) 1 England Tottenham Hotspur

17 MF Steve McManaman 11 February 1972 (aged 24) 10 England Liverpool

18 FW Les Ferdinand 8 December 1966 (aged 29) 10 England Newcastle United

19 DF Phil Neville 21 January 1977 (aged 19) 1 England Manchester United

20 MF Steve Stone 20 August 1971 (aged 24) 6 England Nottingham Forest

21 FW Robbie Fowler 9 April 1975 (aged 21) 3 England Liverpool

22 GK Ian Walker 31 October 1971 (aged 24) 2 England Tottenham Hotspur

Fewmin!!

Lee went to France 98.

It's hard to judge the squad then really. For example, English teams in Europe generally did shit apart from a couple of good seasons from Arsenal in the early-mid 90s. England were poor after 1990 up to 1996 really and even then stumbled their way to the Semis (Holland apart).

I guess if 80% of the Premier League was English today, we'd think the likes of Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, etc. were better than they actually are.

Guest firetotheworks

It always used to wind me up how players like Ince, Platt, Redknapp, and Merson got more of a crack at it than Rob Lee. All very good players on their day, particularly Ince, but '93 to '97 Rob Lee was fucking incredible, and comfortably one of the best midfielders in the country, particularly around '95 iirc. By '98 he wasn't the player he could have been for England in '96.

It's hard to judge the squad then really. For example, English teams in Europe generally did shit apart from a couple of good seasons from Arsenal in the early-mid 90s. England were poor after 1990 up to 1996 really and even then stumbled their way to the Semis (Holland apart).

I guess if 80% of the Premier League was English today, we'd think the likes of Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, etc. were better than they actually are.

Aye that's a good point. Similar with Ireland's "golden generation" of the late 80's and early 90's with loads of players playing for top English clubs

It always used to wind me up how players like Ince, Platt, Redknapp, and Merson got more of a crack at it than Rob Lee. All very good players on their day, particularly Ince, but '93 to '97 Rob Lee was fucking incredible, and comfortably one of the best midfielders in the country, particularly around '95 iirc. By '98 he wasn't the player he could have been for England in '96.

Lee should definitely have played under Taylor but in reality when both Ince and Gazza were fit, he was always going to struggle to break into the team.  He should have been in before the likes of Redknapp  and Stone in 96 though easily.

Guest firetotheworks

Lee should definitely have played under Taylor but in reality when both Ince and Gazza were fit, he was always going to struggle to break into the team.  He should have been in before the likes of Redknapp  and Stone in 96 though easily.

I know you've mentioned Ince's place being his, but I can't remember him being all that amazing. Admittedly I was about 11 like. [emoji38] Remember 94-95 Rob Lee though? When Beardsley out injured he was so, so good.