England

Yorkie

Thought we played ok, dominated the ball but so slow and disjointed in attack, no passages of play or any idea of how to move around their low block to create space. It just seems like the creative players are expected to do a bit of "magic" without any direction.

No wins since the kit went woke. Southgate, Rashford, and Moeen have a lot of questions to answer about why they hate our country so much.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Didn't think Bellingham was all that good and took longer than normal on the ball, but that was one of those big player moments like.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Good persistence by Jude to steal that one at the end though. Great mentality.

Gotta say lads, that was great mentality and a big player moment, but from two players. I think you’ve missed something.

I was pretty drunk when we started and was watching intermittently, so can’t make a definitive review :lol:. Thought we played OK though.

For the defence. Chilwell was much better but he couldn’t have been worse. Dunk’s error was a proper “I don’t belong here” mistake. I thought Gomez did fine, and is more of a RB than Konsa. Pickford fucked up. We basically gave them two goals, obviously.

Somebody said Mainoo was more advanced than they expected. It’s clear that Southgate wants to play Rice as a holding player, Bellingham as a sort of roaming 10 and A.N.Other as someone who is all over the place. Saturday it was Gallagher, tonight it was Mainoo and I thought he was pretty good.

I thought Bowen was really good for a while. It’s nice to have somebody who runs at people. Foden was OK in fits and starts. Toney was better than Watkins and I loved the way he took the penalty. I just wasn’t paying enough attention to really assess his whole performance.

The thing that pleasantly surprised me was Maddison. I thought he did what Foden is kind of supposed to do - make clever and incisive passes in the final third that take players out of the game. He gave the ball away a couple of times but was trying stuff that was really troubling Belgium and creating chances…and ultimately sucked players in and made the pass to Bellingham for the equalizer. Encouraging.

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

#for discussion#

What would people think if Howe was asked to replace Southgate after the Euros ? 

It’s too late for a change now in my opinion. 

Despite the gaining hate for him I think Southgate has earned a shot at this tournament. 

47 minutes ago, Ben said:

#for discussion#

What would people think if Howe was asked to replace Southgate after the Euros ? 

I think he would tell them no thanks and I’d be happy if he did. 

38 minutes ago, St1pe said:

It’s too late for a change now in my opinion. 

Despite the gaining hate for him I think Southgate has earned a shot at this tournament. 

After the Euros. 

10 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I think he would tell them no thanks and I’d be happy if he did. 

I'm not so sure TBF, if the FA want an English replacement and Howe gets a bit abuse over the next 10 games he might just go, I can't think of any better alternatives and he's hot favourite with the bookies.

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

I'm not so sure TBF, if the FA want an English replacement and Howe gets a bit abuse over the next 10 games he might just go, I can't think of any better alternatives and he's hot favourite with the bookies.

I think for someone that lives and breathes football. To the point where it almost seems unhealthily obsessive. Would not be a good fit as an international manager. Nor would he want it. 

I thought the same when people used to suggest Wenger (I haven’t imagined that, have I?!) for the England job and I always thought it about Rafa. Although he might have to take a job like that soon. As his stock has fallen so low.  

If he is getting anything approaching abuse. Then we must have had a horrendous end to the season and losing him wouldn’t be so bad as it would feel right now. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

A bit abuse over 10 games will make him rethink this project? Don’t be silly. 

After last night I think Mainoo has done enough to earn a start - there’s literally no one else. Gallagher keeps fluffing chances. Phillips is out of form.  Unless there’s some sort of rotation in the advanced positions possible between Bellingham and Foden I don’t see any other options. It’s clearly Rice, Bellingham plus another and Mainoo seems clear of the rest. 

22 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Sure I heard one of our managers "didn't do social media" so only heard about the abuse he was getting on there cos his son kept him upto date 🤔

Was it Eddie? I can't remember 😉

55 minutes ago, Ben said:

It has to be Potter for me. 

8 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Somebody said Mainoo was more advanced than they expected. It’s clear that Southgate wants to play Rice as a holding player, Bellingham as a sort of roaming 10 and A.N.Other as someone who is all over the place. Saturday it was Gallagher, tonight it was Mainoo and I thought he was pretty good.

I agree that is his intention. I would like to see someone else sitting and Rice everywhere.  But we don’t have the personnel. 

England doesn’t typically produce passers in deep midfield positions. If you can play a bit you get moved further up.  

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Fair point, however if the board are getting twitchy and he has the offer of the England job he might feel its time to go. I think the days of international managers been old fellas taking the job as a swansong are over. I want Howe to stay but I think he could be tempted to go.

Just now, joeyt said:

I find not giving Cole Palmer any minutes really baffling over the last two games

As well as giving Pickford all of them

1 hour ago, Dr. TC said:

Given his availability, it would be for me too.

I’ve never been 100% sure on my position re anyone who isn’t English managing England.  Can’t be arsed with the xenophobic shite, but I do also think that all national teams should represent the best that the country has to offer in all roles of the game.  It makes me uncomfortable when I see African and Asian countries with a European coach (even with successes like Hiddink etc), so it really should be the case that England can find an Englishman to manage them.

10 minutes ago, Ben said:

As well as giving Pickford all of them

His ridiculous insistence on playing Pickford so much has always been a problem. Was a qualifier at one point when he was injured we had two keepers without a cap. This is what friendlies are for ffs

1 hour ago, Dr. TC said:

Suspect it will be but I am not sure. A lot of the coaches coming through like Potter seem very much systems managers with excellent tactical knowledge etc etc but you just don't get the time with the players at international level to drill them into a particular model. This is why Southgate has done fine, he's well short on the tactics and it's shown him up a bit and yet he's got us to a final and reasonably close another. Look at Potter's struggle to get Chelsea playing how he wanted, and by internal accounts it wasn't like he was disliked by players even it just never clicked. I'd be looking for an astute in game tactical manager as an upgrade, and frankly if it is an English manager (and I am about as far from a tubthumping engerland type as you can get), which i think in an ideal world would be just as the players are all english kinda makes sense if we are doing this national teams thing, I just can't see any candidates now? Potter I think wouldn't thrive in international set-up, Howe makes more sense but he wants his players super fit, he would then have to pick from teams that play that style, City and Arsenal players would be fine but would any others?

Foden and Bellingham spent most of last night getting in each other's way. Our tactic of playing in straight lines and hoping one of the forwards can pull off a world class piece of skill is incredibly frustrating.

Watched the under 21's and they seem to actually have a way of playing.